JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A spicy little number! When ammo dries up, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R all shoot shoot just fine in them. Although rather sleepy by comparison.
Most people buying one probably already reloads.. any of the above can be hopped up much like .38 brass can be out of a .357.

Most people buying one probably already reloads.. any of the above can be hopped up much like .38 brass can be out of a .357.
I have a J-frame cylinder I am going to have reamed from .32 S&W Long to .32 H&R - the Milquetoast Magnum. Gives me 3 of the 4 options. .327 is def a hottie, puts the new-fangled .30 Super on the trailer.

I have a J-frame cylinder I am going to have reamed from .32 S&W Long to .32 H&R - the Milquetoast Magnum. Gives me 3 of the 4 options. .327 is def a hottie, puts the new-fangled .30 Super on the trailer.
If you're talking about the .30 super carry, it died on the vine. You won't even hear it mentioned in a few years.

Maybe there's a reason that long wasn't originally reamed to H&R, like special alloys and or heat treating?

OK, get this: the 1978 Lyman Pistol loading manual has a .32 S&W Long running a 115 grain SWC at 1100 FPS! I think they did pressure testing later and "revised" their recommended load. :rolleyes: As well, the Hodgdon HS-5 they used is long out of print.

OK, get this: the 1978 Lyman Pistol loading manual has a .32 S&W Long running a 115 grain SWC at 1100 FPS! I think they did pressure testing later and "revised" their recommended load. :rolleyes: As well, the Hodgdon HS-5 they used is long out of print.
Sounds like a "Ruger Only" load. It's easy to stretch the frame and or disintegrate many of the old guns.

@TTSX

More energy than a .357 with 25% less recoil.

100gr. bullet @ 1500fps out of a 4-in SP-101.

The extra round in the same size package is gravy on the 'taters!
I would like to see what the PPU 71 grain HP would do in .327. Maybe 1600-1700?

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 6.18.39 PM.png

I'm seeing posts about some high velocity loads, begs the question...how much velocity does one need to get to the vitals from any angle?

Answer...less than 1,000...with most being in the low 900s. A 38 wadcutter running at around 700fps will get enough penetration from all angles...and ballistcally, you're not giving up anything but blast and abuse on both the gun and shooter.

I'd rather have something controllable for follow up shots.

Penetration is only part of the story. Energy transfer is a major factor as well. A .22LR will do a through and through if it doesn't hit bone. Yet it is a poor stopper. So too is the .38 ... causing the search for a more effective round and the birth on the .357 and years earlier the .45ACP.

I agree with recoil / control for follow-on shots. Hence the appeal of the .327, less recoil, plenty of power, in a reasonably concealable gun.

If you are going to go wheel gun for defense, this caliber deserves a close look.

In my way of thinking at least.

The 357 was designed in response to the Colt Super 38, which at that time was the only round capable of piercing auto sheet metal.

There's little energy transfer with a pistol bullet. Also MEs can't tell the difference in a wound channel from 9mm vs a 45

Just like hunters...they want a bullet that penetrates deep and can get to the vitals from any angle...the same goes for pistol bullets.

As for the 22 LR, haven't seen or heard of very many surviving being shot when used in a rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top