JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am very serious about my preparations for a severe economic downturn and such.
Yeah, I've been a half-assed survivalist since the 1970's, still waiting for The Big Bang to happen.

Beans for breakfast, beans for lunch, beans for dinner. That'd get old real fast. I'd be ready for a 9mm bullet in the head sooner than later.

My neighbors on inhabited lots, I've kinda got a read on them:

1. The one I talk to most, on the west, has allowed that he's got a .357 Magnum and he seems resourceful and concerned.

2. On my northern boundary, there is a Mormon family with seven kids. They are probably ready to some degree.

3. To my east, there is a fellow whom I know is armed; when they first moved in, I saw a gun safe in one room. He's pretty resourceful; he's helped me with a couple of things during snow storms. He's got cameras everywhere.

4. Another couple to my west, they are no. California transplants, kinda modernists but they keep a garden every year so maybe they have some awareness.

5. Across the road is a fellow the same age as our son, about 45. He bought a house in the neighborhood as an adult. They were associates in grade school. He has every toy in the universe, including quads, boats, etc., so I'm sure he has some firearms over there.

I've lived here for 37 years, so I'm pretty well dug in.

Well......get your hats ready?!?!?!

tin-foil-cat.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Lots of discussion here about increasing survival strength by making some level of alliance with the neighbors. I'm considering that it may be more important to use neighbors as a resource for communications and not for communal food sharing. If all the neighbors have the same handheld radio (GMRS or ham, for example) some plan or organized periodic calling might work. I'm going to look hard at this as soon as "radio" bubbles to the top of my to do list. I have a little knowledge already, and I am looking forward to going through the many radio threads on this site to expand my knowledge. I might get to that in six months.

But I agree it's a bad idea to broadcast too widely your food preparations. I have this foreboding scenario where in a crisis one neighbor steps up and self-appoints himself (or maybe was appointed by the feds) as "organizer" or "neighborhood focal point", and the first order of business is a registration of all collected foodstuffs; followed closely by a "community" food warehouse; followed closely by the Organizer deciding who "needs" what. No thanks!

So … I'm thinking radio. Neighbors can
  1. Have a weekly call-in to discuss concerns.
  2. Check up on each other (every house contacts the neighbors on both sides of their home; if you're on the end of the block you also contact the neighbor across the street, that way everybody checks two families and has two families checking on them. This can be done without radios if you live close enough.
  3. Have some contingencies for alerts to external threats.
This is all off the top of my head that I'm just using for examples. I'm sure there are people here who are more experienced in these matters who have more well thought out ideas.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top