You can't detect plastic guns

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by beavertonbuck, Nov 7, 2013.

1. beavertonbuck

beavertonbuck Active Member

1   0   0
    The title is a joke but I did have to sit for a certification exam today and I had my gun on me. They make you put all your belongings in a locker and then check you with a metal detector. My thought was well this is going to be an interesting conversation. But the detector didn't alert with my Glock 17 on my hip. My first thought is that the detector doesn't work and is just for show. Surely with the barrel, slide and bullets there is plenty of metal to alert on; otherwise, I guess you can take plastics guns thru metal detectors.
  2. Taku

Taku Life Member NRA, and Life Member OSSA, Former USMC Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

11   0   0
    That was a one in a Billion Fluke.
  3. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

44   0   0
    It wasn't a fluke, Glocks aren't real guns.

[​IMG]
    Caveman Jim, oknow, Stomper and 5 others like this.
  4. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Well-Known Member

0   0   0
    Metal Detectors are electrical objects. Most Electrical Objects need calibration at times.

I once, happened to be in Lane County Courthouse, before the inspection desk opened up, I watched the calibration being set, ~Then Tested~ so they "knew" what would set it off.

Your odds of getting through a Well Tuned detector are not good with that much metal. I have forgotten a couple coins in the "fifth pocket" in my jeans, and got sour looks, and the wand.

Whatever certification you were getting, they did not have proper equipment inspectors on the metal detector... They can be tuned, to the point that wire supports in Bras will set them off, that is not much wire...

I was in an 8 hour class to do inside Penitentiary work, all were told the levels of "set off" points... And one woman was not allowed in, wire support bra could not be her undergarment, and they would not let her in without a "hold em down" device ;) so, after 8 hours of training she could not do it right????

Just letting you know, you were lucky....

philip

Its a late night in the BoonDocks, and ~All~ is Not well ....
  5. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Well-Known Member

0   0   0
    PuddleMonkey, Play Nice... Glocks are better Plastic than George Zimmerman used, and you know how much trouble he was in!!!!!

philip
    solv3nt and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Skang

Skang Well-Known Member

26   0   0
    OP's Glock :bluelaugh:

[​IMG]
  7. titsonritz

titsonritz Well-Known Member

23   0   0

Betcha you wouldn’t care to test that theory first hand.
  8. Stomper

Stomper 3%er Bronze Supporter

25   0   0
    One of the "trends" going on is "mass spectrometers" and they will ping on unusual masses affixed outside the body regardless of what material it is.

Pretty soon the only option will be the ol' "prison keister" method so you better start doing your "special stretching" excerises if you want to sneak a Glock past them! ;)
  9. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

32   0   0
    I basically got stripped searched back in 2009 by the lovely TSA for a empty gum wrapper. It is like they have nothing better to do than harass some kid on the way back from disney land for a piece of gum.
  10. beavertonbuck

beavertonbuck Active Member

1   0   0
    Thanks BoonDocks, I didn't know the detector could vary that much. I really don't think the wand was working or was off at time. She was waving it around like it was Harry Potter's magic wand so I got the feeling it was more of a feel good measure. To be clear this isn't to find weapons but was rather to ensure that that you didn't take anything into the testing area that would allow you to cheat. I had a flashback to the time my doctor told me to take my shirt off at a visit and the conversation that ensued. It was awkward but uneventful and in the end was asked to explain why I carry a gun without any hysteria.
  11. Stomper

Stomper 3%er Bronze Supporter

25   0   0

Maybe they thought you were McGuyver.... A gum wrapper in his hands only needs a paper clip, two grains of sand, and urine to make a tac-nuke! ;)
    BoonDocks36 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. YoungBlood

YoungBlood Member

0   0   0

Didn't some meth head chick get busted with a hangun (thinking small revolver) hidden in her crotch? I also thought that most detectors checked for object in/out of the body that had the same density of polymer/metals?
  13. Gaucho Gringo

Gaucho Gringo Active Member

3   0   0
    I think that was the one where she had an NAA .22 revolver. Knowing the size of the revolver it would be entirely possible knowing that my gun is bigger than that.:D
  14. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Well-Known Member

60   0   0
    Mine's red
  15. 1stIDFMP

1stIDFMP Active Member

3   1   0
    Probably the best option, then, would be to go with a "Baby" Glock, rather than a full-sized one! OUCH! ;)
  16. simon99

simon99 Well-Known Member

0   0   0
    So, I don't want to give anyone any bad ideas and such, but a metal detector can be adjusted by the operator or user. What I mean by that is that if it is set soooo sensitive it can pick up things like piercings, coins, anything metal which is pretty annoying for the security staff. This one may have been adjusted a little too much, so much so that your pistol was not picked up. It happens.