JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was thinking about this just yesterday. Pawn Shops are becoming the new LGS.

One of the members has a online video channel, and he recently posted that 25% of LGS are closing.
What has sprung up to take the place? Pawn shops.

I have an M&P for sale here. I wanted to trade it in at an LGS for another gun
and they offered me, far, far less than I expected. I won't say who, as I didn't feel they
were trying to take advantage of me. The trade just isn't in their best interest.

I would give a positive rating = thumbs up to A Cut Above Pawn in Aloha (Beaverton) for
their FFL service. If you are needing to ship a gun - they are willing to help you do that
and are very reasonable. There incoming FFL fee is also very good.

I'd say these are a place to keep in mind, and may be more so in the future.

Quick cash is the main reason for going to pawn shops. I was late on rent and pawned a nice rifle for a 300$. Granted I would never sell a rifle outright to a pawn shop.

You can find some good deals on firearms if you shop around enough.
Saw a Sig 232 stainless for 450$ in great condition at a local pawn shop. Wish I would have had the cash.

I've never sold or pawned a gun but I sure have bought a lot of them from pawn shops. I always offer ridiculously low money....and have always walked away happy. Mainly on older guns that many (most) people wouldn't look twice at nowdays. For example I bought a Belgian Browning bolt action in .300 H&H for $400. They were asking twice that but obviously had been in the rack awhile. I also bought 2 Savage 99's for about half their retail price. Might not do so good on an AR or Sig, I dunno.

The gun shop I generally deal with is also a pawn shop. It is a gun store first, pawn shop second. Most of the used firearms they sell are consignments. They will order anything for you and sell it to you at what would be average retail.

But...The reason I like them is: I can give them a list of my recent interests (old guns mostly) and how much I would be willing to pay for that weapon in 90%+ condition. If one comes by, they will call me. I've purchased several guns through them. Dave's Gun and Pawn, Riverside, WA.

I have friends that take their hunting rifles to their favorite pawn shop at the end of hunting season every year and "pawn" them. They pay the pawn ticket for the year and come pick up their rifles the next hunting season. They are using the pawn shop as a secure storage for the year. It's cheaper than insurance and they are responsible for anything that happens to their rifles. Yes, I know. It's not the same as selling. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I have never pawned anything, but I used to go to pawnshops occasionally looking for deals on used CD's and hard-to-find DVD's. The last time I was in one, a guy came in reeking of alcohol and looking to pawn what was obviously his child's PlayStation video game console and games. I think he got $50 or something like that for it, and left. I left a few minutes later, and as I was driving away I saw him walking into a nearby bar where I'm sure that $50 got blown real quick. I havent been to a pawnshop since, and probably never will. There is a really negative atmosphere in those places, they are where desperate people who have made poor life choices get exploited.

If you sell a gun to a gun shop they're not going to give you msrp either, or any business. I think if a pawn shop gives less than another business it's likely because all day they deal in values and negotiating. As far as asking for a lower price at a pawn shop, I might be wrong but I think the majority of their money is made off their loans and aren't super motivated to sell anything. There's an AK at a Longview pawn shop that I know for a fact had been there 8 years, with a hefty price tag, my only guess is its because it's pre 94 ban, which hasn't mattered much the last 9 years... It didn't even sell during this last round of panic buying, so I doubt it ever will unless they drop the price significantly, and they don't seem to care to do that. I've always hoped I'd be in a shop when someone was selling something I want, and offer a little more than the shop and get a great deal. Though I expect the shop owners would likely be none to pleased.

I've bought from pawn shops quite a bit in my lifetime......I love to get deals on stuff and if they won't haggle, I walk (unless it's that holy grail I've been looking for and the cash is burning a hole in my pocket as I attempt negotiations). Why pay new prices for used stuff though?

As for selling to pawn shops (guns or otherwise) - I personally have tried to avoid it, but there has come times in my life where I needed gas/rent/etc and they have the cash on the spot no running around and wasting what's left of your gas for some dillhole to flake out on you. (And I have had guns listed here and elsewhere that I dropped down to absurd prices with no bites so the listing private party thing doesn't always work, especially depending on the locale LOL)

I'm one of those guys who does a monthly cruise of pawn shops looking for something I don't have for my collection. I've also pawned a couple when my budget for the month couldn't cover a purchase which was too good to pass up. I've always picked my items up the following month.

Also a big +1 for Cut Above Pawn. They are the best I've found and they are knowledgeable about what they have and price fairly.

A few years ago I had a chance to pick up an old art collection, quite valuable. I didn't have the $15k but needed cash immediately as others were in line. I went to my bank and was told that a loan would take a week. I couldn't wait. I sold $20k worth of very nice firearms to local dealers for $8k cash and took out $7k in cash on a CC. Within 6 months I had sold enough art to purchase everything back plus more and I paid off my CC. The best part was that I still had most of the collection left at a very substantial value.

Good job Trailboss. That's one way pawn shops can be worthwhile. I've never sold anything at one, but I've acquired a few guns at them. Once a pawn shop employee GAVE me an Arisaka dust cover off a Japanese rifle just for showing him to reassemble an Arisaka rifle's bolt that someone had sold him. He didn't know how to do it, but I did.

I sold a used LCP to a pawn shop for $300. There are good shops out there you just have to look. I do business with Silver Falls Pawn in Silverton. Aaron, the owner, is a good guy and has great prices, especially on the new guns. I have bought several new guns from him and always feel like I have gotten a good deal.

Perhaps savvy players frequent the pawns and negotiate quick deals on good stuff that most of us never see (then go line up at Bi-Mart to buy all the ammo).

Yes we do. I probably hit up the pawn shops (my favorites) once or twice a week if my days schedule pass right by it.
Where a man can really get a great deal is on lingering items as well as obscure or "single shot" firearms like NEF single shot rifles and shotguns or .22s line the marlin 7000 or 795.
They don't care about the non showy ones.. If you walk in wanting that shiny new PTR91 or AR 15 or pretty much anything black with all the doodads and a 30 round mag prepare to either start the negotiations or pay WAY over the "used" price.

I for one like playing a little bit of negotiations on an item I know they've over priced and has been sitting for weeks on end. I usually get a decent deal when theyre sick of seeing me. But I always stay understanding and respectful.
Because they do have a business to run.. But if Im buying a used firearm and I know the blue book price, thats all Ill offer. If they don't bite its on to the next pawn shop, only for me to return again.

I did miss my chance on a used but decent quality golani. (For the collection)
Oh by the way for any of you collectors: at the hillsboro pawn theres a

Remington Model 8!
Chambered for 30-30 in decent condition. Barrel looks ok rifling wise. Go check her out. Talk them down in price and you could own a decent collectors item.

"Remington Model 8!
Chambered for 30-30 in decent condition. Barrel looks ok rifling wise. Go check her out. Talk them down in price and you could own a decent collectors item."

Most likely the caliber is .30 Remington. It's the rimless version of the 30/30. Very spendy round and hard to find

I don't have any evidence to back it up, but I'm guessing sites like this, Armslist, Gunbroker, and Backpage have seriously cut into the margins for pawn brokers on the selling end. And that has to affect the prices they are willing to pay.

Desperation for money, whatever the cause, is a sad thing. And it's only desperation that would lead someone to sell a gun to a pawnbroker (or any other LGS). If you wait a week, take a photo or two, you can garner more. But I understand that not everyone has a week. Maybe there should be a "need to sell NOW" forum here where buyers can pick up things for a bit less and sellers can get a bit more than they otherwise would.

Or how about this: "I'll buy it for X dollars and agree to sell it back to you for X-10% within two weeks?" I just hate to see these ads for grandpa's rifle. Desperation sales of family firearms are not good, and responsible buyers could help while still making a little money for the effort. I guess that's kind of like pawning, isn't it? But in a more friendly, less commercial context aimed to help the seller out rather than to gouge him.

Bought one gun at pawn shop a 38 special for $225. Was ok buying since it was a xmas gift and I had bought same model on line for $200 so gun was not to over priced. While there guy was selling a over under and they would not offer more then $175 and he really wanted $200. Sadly I could not get him alone after my purchase was complete before they bought. To bad because it was a nice shot gun

An add-on to my earlier post. Maybe I'm in a unique situation, or maybe not. At a party yesterday, probably 60 there, all good friends, I noted some things about the crowd.

- 60% of the guys and 25% of the girls have shot firearms in the past 1-2 years.
- Most shooters own more than one weapon.
- A dozen hunt and 8-10 reload.
- At least 4 of us are Veterans or active duty (proud dad here - my son was down from Ft. Lewis).
- The guys have all been trained or took safety courses, then taught their kids and the mommies.
- 3 LEO. Me (former), a current Fed, and a local (home sleeping off his night shift).
- At least a few were teens who hunt and responsibly operate rifles, pistols, crossbows, airsoft/pellet guns, blowguns, butterfly knives and throwing stars (it was a HS grad party - rural and west of Portland).

I've bought and sold more than a few weapons and related gear within this group. We ALL always got more than a pawn shop whould give. And we ALL paid less than a pawn shop would charge. We've also helped each other out in lean times and would not hesitate to sell something back in a heartbeat for the same amount - without interest or deadlines. Honor among friends.

Aside from this band of rogues, I've also bought and sold 5-6 weps among my present co-workers, probably a dozen since 1980.

The point? Examine your social circle, do some casual networking and see what you find among the people you actually like. If you're blessed, the term "pawn shop" may never even enter the equation.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top