who makes/what is the best ak-47 variant

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by plumberfishes, Dec 4, 2011.

1. plumberfishes

plumberfishes Active Member

9   0   0
    I am not looking for a debate really, but facts and figures about who and what and why certain ak-47 are better or worse, I am looking for a sh*t hit the fan type of gun, I have my glock I know when I squeese the trigger it will go bang , and I would like an ak for the same reason, (yes I know ar-15 are wonderful guns) so who has a reason for liking one type or another , other than I had a ...... and it jammed?? stamped or milled why is one better , romainian, chinese or..... I have seen them in 7.62 and .223??? what about the saiga.... why are some $400 and some $700????? who makes the best / least likly to fail mags... do 40rnd mags have more issues than 20rnd mags, does a 40 with only 35 in it work better than full loads,,,, only planning on buying 1 ak, I have lots of guns, but they are all for a purpose hunting weapons , (well my glock is my 1 bought for defence weapon) not counting .22 lrs bought for taking kids plinking... so , what ak -47 is best??
  2. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Active Member

8   0   0
    Gonna be a short thread....

There are pluses and minuses for just about any AK. Pick a caliber and we can go from there.
  3. EagleEyeEOD

EagleEyeEOD Member

3   0   0
    Pick a caliber-
    5.56 NATO Pricey Mags and Ammo
    5.45 X39 Super cheap ammo and imported mags are decent quality (corrosive ammo)
    7.62X39 Reasonable ammo and mags non-corrosive ammo is available

I haven't found a US made mag or composite that I would recommend.

Stay away from:
    -anything on a B-West Receiver-they are not heat treated

I would also stay away from:
    -Inter Ordnance (IO)
    -Century Arms (CAI)-there are some good ones out there, but you really got to inspect each one, with the exception of their Draco pistol.
    -TBI-hit or miss depending on the donor build kit.

Norincos are excellent but haven't been imported for 18 years, if you can find one used it is probably a good one for under $900.

Good Sources I would recommend- Vector Arms, Arsenal or a custom build from Rifle Dynamics, Krebs Custom, Red Jacket or In Range.

If I were looking for a good quality without breaking the bank (HAHAHA) I would go with an arsenal/saiga. They have chrome lined barrels that are hammer forged. They have the current updated features of the Russian guns. They meet 922. They don't cost as much as a complete custom build. IMHO these are the glock of AK's.

I am not and do not claim to be the AK fortune teller. This is my 2 cents, let your non-debate continue.
  4. plumberfishes

9   0   0
    thank you eagle , thats the kind of info i was looking for,
    so for now I will limit my research to the 7.62 as it seems to be the most common in the ak's
    who has/had the saiga in 7.62, how did you like it any hiccups?
    who has/had arsenal in 7.62how did you like it any hiccups?
  5. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Active Member

8   0   0
    I've had:

SAR-1
    Mak90 in .223
    2 WASR 10s
    Golani
    Saiga
    Romy "G" build
    Mak90 in 7.62
    SLR-107F

I Have yet to own a "lemon". Even my WASR with canted sights ran 100%. Fit and finish varies widely, but for the most part you're hard pressed to find a factory built AK that won't run.
  6. plumberfishes

9   0   0
    what is the slr is that a brand or modle or......, thanks, and what competition are you doing with it? thanks
  7. MikeE

MikeE Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

38   0   0
    SLR-107F is a Bulgarian re-made by Arsenal USA. I have one, it is excellent. Installed an Ultimak rail/gas tube to mount a red dot. Thousands of rounds through it, not a hicup. Steel mags are good, US Palm also makes good mags.
  8. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Active Member

8   0   0
    Like this?

[​IMG]

:D
  9. MikeE

38   0   0
    Nice!
  10. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Active Member

8   0   0
    [​IMG]

I picked up an extra stock too
  11. EagleEyeEOD

EagleEyeEOD Member

3   0   0
    From my experience,he means Saiga sporter rifles that have not been converted to 922r military config - the ones with the sporter stocks and no pistol grip. They don't have cartridge guides and use a sporter mag.

The Arsenal Saiga guns all take standard military AK mags and use standard AK parts.

Also explains the Sporter $299 price tag vs. the $750+ for the Arsenal.

Nice Unka-Boo! I am looking at the SGL21-66 for CHRISTmas!
  12. MikeE

38   0   0
    What's your opinion of the trend to convert to M4 stocks? Personally I hate the way they look, but are there any advantages?
  13. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Active Member

8   0   0

Classic arms has " 1/2 converted " Saigas for $429....take regular AK mags and are pistol grip config...front ends are same as std sporters though:

[​IMG]

About the same price as doing it yourself without the work ( not that it's hard )
  14. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Active Member

8   0   0
    I prefer the "classic" AK looks, but if it does what you want and it's comfortable, more power to ya...I went that route on the Saiga I converted, partly because it came with the stock when I bought it ( was the type that replaced the factory stock, but I noticed that once you unbolted the p-grip, it was a std stock :bluelaugh: )

[​IMG]

With a std stock:

[​IMG]

I realized after the fact that it was an early B-West import ( '94 ) and probably should have left it alone....D'oh...
  15. MikeE

38   0   0
    Thanks for the reply. Is that a TWS system for top cover? Was that hard to install (for the basic klutz)?
  16. EagleEyeEOD

EagleEyeEOD Member

3   0   0
    Stocks-You have several options.
    -Standard Thumbhole
    -Aftermarket wood-Ironwood probably my favorite
    -Underfolder-personally hate 'em. Haven't had one that didn't loosen up eventually, not comfortable
    -Side folder-my personal fav. Makes stashin' it a little easier. Solid as a wooden stock when locked open.
    -M4-no experience. Never thought I would like it.

While we are on stocks. Couple of things to consider.
    Angle cut receiver-limits your stock options or at least add to the work.
    Stock Length-Warsaw, NATO, US
  17. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Active Member

8   0   0

It was a knock-off that I wouldn't buy again....the TWS gen 2 looks pretty bullet proof, my personal favorite is the Ultimak. If you have a side rail, take a look at the RS regulate mounts, low profile, co-witness and centered over the bore.
  18. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Well-Known Member

12   0   0
    So what I'm seeing around here is a mac90 with a machined receiver for $700,nice kit with it.
    And some WASRs in the $500 range

That about right?
  19. MikeE

38   0   0
    Thanks, these look awesome!
    RSREGULATE
  20. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Active Member

8   0   0
    WASRs can be had for $400 or less online and I have a REAL hard time being convinced that any MAK is worth over $500....I know they've gone for more, but once you break the $500 threshold, there are better options available that don't need "restoring".