JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any tips on cleaning the inside of .223 cases, or does it even matter as long as there's no debris?
Different ways of cleaning brass that people like. I personally prefer wet tumbling bottleneck rifle brass and some pistol brass that I want really shiny. I still use my dry tumbler with corncob media for quite a bit of pistol brass.

Benefits and drawbacks for both IMO. I think as long as there isn't loose debris in your cases, and the inside of the neck, where you are seating the bullets is clean, you should be OK.

But realistically if I'm not going too much into cosmetics right now, I can just brush the necks, tap these out and use them without worrying about problems loading?

If you're worried about crimps or tight primer pockets, I use a pocket uniform/reamer tool to insure they are all the same size and it remove the crimp as well. The tool is relatively cheap to get.
Is it the Lyman kit? You can actually chuck the bits in a drill if you're in a hurry. For doing 50 or a 100 at a time, this thing is pretty hard to beat for the price. Common thread R CBS Pocket bits can fit in it as well. It's handy but I wouldn't tackle over two hundred cases with it😋

1000004293.jpg

I think I have the basics for everything I need, I'm just waiting on delivery and gathering some components now. I'm sure once I really dig into things I'll find out I need something else, but I started some basic cleaning on some .223 brass today.

View attachment 1885365
About an hour in rice with a couple wads of nevrdull. I just got some actual corn cob media, nu finish, and mineral spirits at bimart so I can give another batch a run and see what it looks like. Still haven't made it back home yet, I'm picking my daughter up from school on the way. The rice did a pretty decent job, but dumping those cases out was a little annoying.
Don't worry, in spite of all your diligence, you will buy something you don't need. It's a time honored tradition... :p

But realistically if I'm not going too much into cosmetics right now, I can just brush the necks, tap these out and use them without worrying about problems loading?
You won't run into any problems because the cases aren't gleaming. When you have really clean and really shiny brass, you might notice the feeding is better. I like it because the press gets less dirty and the dies, so less cleaning work for me. Nothing wrong with just using a vibratory, though. Interestingly, if you soak your brass in some hot water, lemi shine, and dawn, and rinse it out real good and let it dry, it'll actually Polish better in the.
Dry medium. It's really not a necessary step unless your brass is really skunky.

Is it the Lyman kit? You can actually chuck the bits in a drill if you're in a hurry. For doing 50 or a 100 at a time, this thing is pretty hard to beat for the price. Common thread R CBS Pocket bits can fit in it as well. It's handy but I wouldn't tackle over two hundred cases with it😋

View attachment 1885474
That's the one I use, I think I've done over 2,000 case with those bits. Lol. 2 seconds on a drill and it's done, plus it won't let you cut to deep since the top is flat.

Plus the bits are cheap to replace if they break or wear out.
Indeed. Mostly what it gets used these days is that doggone NAITO 9MM brass that always seems to find its way into my range pickups. I always seem to end up with 20 or 30 of them out of a batch of a 1000. In that case, it's easy enough to just set them aside and use that tool to clean out that crimp by hand. It's really handy. I keep it close by. Works really good for cleaning up an ugly case mouth as well.

I cleaned somewhere in the ballpark of about 800 .223/5.56 cases today.
I started with these:
Screenshot_20240521-211117_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240521-211113_Gallery.jpg
I used rice and nevrdull on the first bit because I wanted to see the outcome and I wasn't totally disappointed. A little bit of a satin finish, but pretty clean overall.
20240521_210110.jpg
I got some actual corn cob media, less than a tbsp of nu finish with a little drizzle of the mineral spirits and did another couple runs and it's definitely a brighter shine (almost like it's made for it). 20240521_210139.jpg
Side by side you can see a pretty big difference.

20240521_210338.jpg 20240521_210344.jpg

I know I could've let it run longer and gotten it brightened up a bit more, maybe added a tad more polish. I'll probably run the rice batch through actual media again to give it a good finish, but I'm surprised at how well it actually did the job.
I know this is probably boring as heII to you guys since you've done it thousands of times, but for my first, I feel like it's not complete failure.

I cleaned somewhere in the ballpark of about 800 .223/5.56 cases today.
I started with these:
View attachment 1885582View attachment 1885583
I used rice and nevrdull on the first bit because I wanted to see the outcome and I wasn't totally disappointed. A little bit of a satin finish, but pretty clean overall.
View attachment 1885587
I got some actual corn cob media, less than a tbsp of nu finish with a little drizzle of the mineral spirits and did another couple runs and it's definitely a brighter shine (almost like it's made for it).View attachment 1885586
Side by side you can see a pretty big difference.

View attachment 1885585View attachment 1885584

I know I could've let it run longer and gotten it brightened up a bit more, maybe added a tad more polish. I'll probably run the rice batch through actual media again to give it a good finish, but I'm surprised at how well it actually did the job.
I know this is probably boring as heII to you guys since you've done it thousands of times, but for my first, I feel like it's not complete failure.
Now all you have to do is resize them enough so they'll chamber in your rifle, then trim to length, inside & outside chamfer, clean the primer pockets (l tumble a second time and then wet wash them) and reload. If you like busy work, you found the right hobby.

Now all you have to do is resize them enough so they'll chamber in your rifle, then trim to length, inside & outside chamfer, clean the primer pockets (l tumble a second time and then wet wash them) and reload. If you like busy work, you found the right hobby.
I know, I'm so excited. I already checked length on these ones and didn't have to trim very many over 1.76" my kit should be here tomorrow so I can actually start doing some stuff...

Last Edited:
I know, I'm so excited. I already checked length on these ones and didn't have to trim very many over 1.76" my kit should be here tomorrow so I can actually start doing some stuff...
Check length after sizing/decapping.

One more thing. Head spacing/shoulder bump back.

I read that I might also want lube the inside of the necks for rifle casings. Any specific way that works best? Tips or things to be concerned about?

RCBS has lube brushes, which are basically nylon 'bore brushes' that screw into a RCBS green handle and you can roll the brush on your lube pad to apply lube (sparingly!) and then push it into the case mouth.
Ok, I got the brushes with the kit, just haven't done anything but clean brass so far. Is there something you'd suggest that would make a good makeshift lube pad since I don't have one yet? This kit doesn't have one.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top