JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been thinking about getting into reloading lately. I'm not a gunsmith by any means, but I've built a few AR's, I've tinkered with triggers, done some repairs, changed out springs and detents, done some playing around with lots of little moving parts. I've really enjoyed all the time I've put into little projects, but my space is extremely limited and for various other reasons, all my hobbies have either dwindled away or been back-burnered more or less indefinitely. I've always been interested in loading my own ammo, and I think it would be a great hobby to do a little bit of tinkering with a little bit of free time here and there if and when that comes along.
Here's the thing, I don't know my azz from a hole in the ground when it comes to reloading. I know the bullet profiles and grain weights for a variety of different calibers, but I have no clue which powders I would need or what primers are appropriate for certain rounds. Are there different primers for different powder loads? I heard some casings need to be resized or reamed? What does it take to clean and prep fired casings? And the equipment... I have no clue what equipment I would need, do I need different equipment for rifle vs pistol, I've got no clue how much I'd be spending just to load my first round. How do I know if that equipment is reliable and can provide consistent quality? Do I need ventilation? How much space does it actually take? Would it be practical or safe for me to have a setup on a desk in the corner of my apartment bedroom?
I guess I can look up all my questions and find some youtube videos, but does anyone have some insight? Where would I even start? Are there any good resources for information you'd suggest for someone with limited space, no experience, and no real working knowledge of the craft?
There are several people in this forum who really know what they're doing and have a lot of experience. You came to the right place. If you are really interested, do your homework from the suggestions above and don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of us are quite open to a PM If you want to keep it private. I myself have answered many a PM. My mailbox is always open and I know others have as well.

Saving money aside (that's a good laugh 😆 ), it will enhance your understanding and love of firearms and history.

Don't worry about space. I have a full progressive reloading setup in my 18 foot travel trailer and it works quite well. Where there's a will, there's a way.

1000004256.jpg

Also, I cast my own bullets. Some of us are sicker than others. I enjoy it and that is all that matters. You sound like you are in. Welcome to the healthy addiction.

When you are reading through the ABC's of reloading start thinking about what kind of loads you want to turn out, Practice, Competition, or Performance.
My practice rounds use an inexpensive bullet that matches the weight of a performance or competition round. I look for a powder that uses the least per load to give the same velocity. DR

I've got my eyes fairly set on the RCBS equipment. Do you think the price difference between these 2 is worth the extras? I don't necessarily need the puller or the powder measure stand (would be a nice touch), but would need the shell holders and calipers anyway...
Which do you think is a better deal?

The hard part is knowing what is the right one. With so little available at times, it's something offbrand or not talked much about, on the shelf. The clerk usually doesn't know anything about it.

Especially with primers. For 308, can it use both small and large primers depending on the bullet?
It's not the bullet but the brass that determines primer size. I'm not aware of .308 using small primers but I know 6.5 creedmoor can use both.

I'm thinking I would enjoy the meditative benefits of the process. Just doing some basic searches of the cost of primers, powder and projectiles I can see that loading 9mm might not be the way to go unless I was trying to do something more specialized with them. The repetition sounds calming and I honestly think I would enjoy it greatly. As far as cost, I'm not looking at shooting in huge volumes to begin with, but it would be nice to get to a point eventually where I can minimize the cost of ammo. I'm primarily shooting extremely common cartridges for the time being.
With no prodding and only brief (attentive, apparently) research, you have come to the right attitude toward the science.

Handloading (as differentiated from reloading) is a careful, attentive and rarely repetitious method to the point of monotony. You are watching and recording and analyzing each step, and every cartridge gets personal tactile attention.

Reloading is defined in production rates and time spent. There are shooters and competitors that benefit greatly from this method, when they consistently monitor their machinery's settings.

Some that load their own have complete (and often multiple) set-ups for both methods, and if they started with a single-stage press they are way ahead of anyone who did not. They KNOW what to look for in the automatic machinery.

You cannot go wrong with RCBS either.

I've got my eyes fairly set on the RCBS equipment. Do you think the price difference between these 2 is worth the extras? I don't necessarily need the puller or the powder measure stand (would be a nice touch), but would need the shell holders and calipers anyway...
Which do you think is a better deal?
There really is no better "deal". Does it suit your needs? A good manual, a decent press, calipers, and a decent scale are the basics for what you want to start via your original post. Everything else is just hunting down components.

You can't really go wrong on the press if you're looking at RCBS. I use Lee presses because it's what I'm used to, and when I first started out, I had like 35 cents and a dream 40 years ago. RCBS makes top-notch stuff and their warranty is excellent.

Get yourself a Lee or Lyman reloading manual and get to reading.

Free online reloading data straight from the powder manufacturer that you can see right now.
https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/

Short review of the RCBS Rebel Master Kit (22.5min)

LONG review of the RCBS Rebel Master Kit (6hr 47min)
Reviews equipment by showing process of reloading & shooting 45acp, 357mag, .223 rem, 300win mag, 308win, 6.5 creedmoor & 6mm ppc.
Extremely long so I'd watch with a faster playback speed!!! By the end you should have an idea of where to begin.

As to manuals. Never rely on just one. Cross-reference between sources. This is a very minor expense, as very recent manuals can be had for next to nothing.

One manual will get you started. Then gather at least a couple more. Half the fun is the exploration, and these are your maps.

I have few regrets; one is not getting going on reloading.
I have several; getting into reloading, is not one of them 😆.

I really love it. I love how much I've learned and I love the choices it makes available to me. It can increase the potential of one gun into like 5 different firearms. Within safety parameters, you can really go just about anywhere. Just as a for instance, you can make your 223 or 22-250 bolt gun into a 22 long rifle powered plinker If you desire. Or you can turn your 38 special into a tiny mouse shotgun if you're of a mind too. It works great on snakes, mice, rats, gophers, and mormon crickets. The firearm itself is only half of the equation. The other half is the ammunition.

One thing that's bringing up questions for me is the powder to projectile combinations I'm seeing in the load data. Do you have to use different powders when switching between bullet profiles even if they're the same weight bullets but different profile? For example for loading .223 rem using;
55gr hdy fmjbt - accurate 2520 - 24.3-27grs
55gr hdy sp - accurate 2200 - 20.5-22.8grs
Even though they're both 55gr 22/224 projectiles, do you have to change powders just because they're different profile? Are powders interchangeable in this scenario?

I don't much enjoy the process, but do enjoy having oodles of inexpensive pistol ammo made when I'd otherwise be browsing a forum, watching TV or other leisure time. I like the ability to make inexpensive ammo that shoots better in my rifles than even expensive commercial loads, even if load development is a PITA. I started with a progressive press, it is still my only press, and would do it again no question.

From the questions you are asking I believe you would really enjoy reloading. I have been reloading for over 40 years, for a dozen calibers, so I think I know a little about it. Obviously I started back before the internet and back then we learned by READING. Some of the bullet manufacturers like Hornady and Sierra had excellent reloading manuals with great articles about the process. Some of the gunwriters of the day wrote reloading books and the gun magazines always had reloading articles. Gun reviews would include a long list of reloads for that caliber and we would cut them out of the magazines and paste them into a 3-ring binder by caliber. It was a great way to learn by the experience of others.

For those seeking accuracy, in the 1990's and early 2000's we had a magazine called Precision Shooting. It was all about benchrest competition and included lots of articles on making accurate ammo. The editor also started a spinoff magazine called Tactical Shooter, which then changed its name to The Accurate Shooter, that addressed accuracy reloading and was a wealth of information. It was a shame to see those magazines stop production and I still refer to my saved copies.

As others have said, for the common calibers you really are not going to save much if any money over buying your ammo in bulk. By the time you get all the equipment you will need for reloading you will spend nearly $1000 (including the press, dies, electronic scale, case cleaner, case trimmer, measuring tools for making the ammo and measuring your chambers, and all of the little things that you don't know you need until you do). So you will start off in the hole and have to load a lot of ammo for the cost savings to begin. The way to make that hole shallower is to buy a complete setup from someone getting out of reloading. I don't know how you find those people other than here, but it would be a great way to minimize your initial investment and especially if you could also pickup a mentor in the process. I know that one day about 10 years from now I am going to be looking to offload my entire setup and if you could find a guy like me you would have a great start into the hobby.

That said, reloading is not for everyone. My son shoots a high-end 9mm pistol in action competition in Texas, along with some 5.56 and 6.5 CM. When he visited me last year I introduced him to reloading. In about an hour I gave him a general synopsis of the process, and then set him up and let him load 100 rounds of 9mm on my Dillon progressive press. This convinced him that he had no interest whatsoever in reloading. He said he would rather order 4-5000 rounds of 9mm at the prices he can get it at. I know that kid and was not surprised at all. He just is not suited to the hours of focus and repetitive process that it would take to keep him in ammo, and just is not interested.

You might want to consider visiting the gun stores, shooting clubs, and ranges close to you and ask around to find someone who might be closing out their years of reloading. You might get lucky and get into the hobby at a huge discount, and with some great advice. Good luck!

From the questions you are asking I believe you would really enjoy reloading. I have been reloading for over 40 years, for a dozen calibers, so I think I know a little about it. Obviously I started back before the internet and back then we learned by READING. Some of the bullet manufacturers like Hornady and Sierra had excellent reloading manuals with great articles about the process. Some of the gunwriters of the day wrote reloading books and the gun magazines always had reloading articles. Gun reviews would include a long list of reloads for that caliber and we would cut them out of the magazines and paste them into a 3-ring binder by caliber. It was a great way to learn by the experience of others.

For those seeking accuracy, in the 1990's and early 2000's we had a magazine called Precision Shooting. It was all about benchrest competition and included lots of articles on making accurate ammo. The editor also started a spinoff magazine called Tactical Shooter, which then changed its name to The Accurate Shooter, that addressed accuracy reloading and was a wealth of information. It was a shame to see those magazines stop production and I still refer to my saved copies.

As others have said, for the common calibers you really are not going to save much if any money over buying your ammo in bulk. By the time you get all the equipment you will need for reloading you will spend nearly $1000 (including the press, dies, electronic scale, case cleaner, case trimmer, measuring tools for making the ammo and measuring your chambers, and all of the little things that you don't know you need until you do). So you will start off in the hole and have to load a lot of ammo for the cost savings to begin. The way to make that hole shallower is to buy a complete setup from someone getting out of reloading. I don't know how you find those people other than here, but it would be a great way to minimize your initial investment and especially if you could also pickup a mentor in the process. I know that one day about 10 years from now I am going to be looking to offload my entire setup and if you could find a guy like me you would have a great start into the hobby.

That said, reloading is not for everyone. My son shoots a high-end 9mm pistol in action competition in Texas, along with some 5.56 and 6.5 CM. When he visited me last year I introduced him to reloading. In about an hour I gave him a general synopsis of the process, and then set him up and let him load 100 rounds of 9mm on my Dillon progressive press. This convinced him that he had no interest whatsoever in reloading. He said he would rather order 4-5000 rounds of 9mm at the prices he can get it at. I know that kid and was not surprised at all. He just is not suited to the hours of focus and repetitive process that it would take to keep him in ammo, and just is not interested.

You might want to consider visiting the gun stores, shooting clubs, and ranges close to you and ask around to find someone who might be closing out their years of reloading. You might get lucky and get into the hobby at a huge discount, and with some great advice. Good luck!
Thank you! I've only really been asking around about reloading for a day now and I've gotten a lot of helpful insight and some kind offers. I don't expect anyone to put themselves out on my account, so I have a hard time accepting help most of the time. I feel like I've gotta get there on my own dime or I didn't rightly earn it (pride bites me in the azz sometimes). All of the information I'm getting here is a huge help in and of itself. I had the day off from work, so I spent most of today reading tutorials, articles, reviews, suggestions, and some load data. I had some time to watch some product comparisons and instructional videos on the process. I've learned more about reloading within the last 24 hours than I have in the preceding 36 years. I have to say, I'm not the slightest bit disinterested by any of it, and I'm honestly excited to get a corner of the room cleared out to start setting up a bench.

I tentatively pieced together everything I think I need (want) for a total and complete setup for .45 and .223 with all new RCBS equipment; this is everything I've come up with (not including actual components):

•Rebel master kit, includes:
-Rebel single stage press
-1,500gr digital scale
-Case slick spray lube
-Powder funnel
-accessory handle with primer pocket and neck brushes
-loading block
-Uniflow 3 Powder measure
-universal hand priming tool
-speer #15 manual
-hex key set
-deburring/camfer tool
-Powder trickler 2

•Advanced Powder measure stand
•Dial caliper
•Trim pro 2 Case trimmer kit
•Vibratory Case polisher 120 vac
•.45 ACP/GAP/Auto rim 3 die carbide set
•.223 full length die set
•shell holders #3 and #10

The total damage for everything included after shipping and insurance would run me up to $859.35 but I think that's everything I'd ever need (for these calibers) and it would be a complete matching setup all brand new. If i take off the trimmer, the caliper, and Vibratory polisher, I can get it down to $564.37 after shipping. I can probably find those somewhere else and I'm not really sure I need a trimming tool do I? Did I miss anything else? Is any of it an unnecessary waste? Am I in over my head?...

Last Edited:
I tentatively pieced together everything I think I need (want) for a total and complete setup for .45 and .223 with all new RCBS equipment; this is everything I've come up with (not including actual components):

•Rebel master kit, includes:
-Rebel single stage press
-1,500gr digital scale
-Case slick spray lube
-Powder funnel
-accessory handle with primer pocket and neck brushes
-loading block
-Uniflow 3 Powder measure
-universal hand priming tool
-speer #15 manual
-hex key set
-deburring/camfer tool
-Powder trickler 2

•Advanced Powder measure stand
•Dial caliper
•Trim pro 2 Case trimmer kit
•Vibratory Case polisher 120 vac
•.45 ACP/GAP/Auto rim 3 die carbide set
•.223 full length die set
•shell holders #3 and #10

The total damage for everything included after shipping and insurance would run me up to $859.35 but I think that's everything I'd ever need (for these calibers) and it would be a complete matching setup all brand new. If i take off the trimmer, the caliper, and Vibratory polisher, I can get it down to $564.37 after shipping. I can probably find those somewhere else and I'm not really sure I need a trimming tool do I? Did I miss anything else? Is any of it an unnecessary waste? Am I in over my head?...
You will need a trimmer for the 223. Bottle neck cases need trimming from time to time for consistency and chambering. You shouldn't need it for the 45. Or any straight-walled pistol case for that matter.

You'll need to buy a decent scale, the one that comes in the kit is crap. The videos I linked show this. Additionally I own the scale and can confirm it drifts and isn't trustworthy for load development.

The speer manual is okay but only has data for speer projectiles.

You will likely need something for reaming/swaging 5.56 primer pockets that are often factory crimped. You won't be able to seat new primers otherwise.

So I've been doing some reading and looking around online and I found this on gunbroker.... https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1050368406
It's a lot of money to drop all at once, but for what it includes, it seems like heck of a deal. It looks like the only thing I'd need to add to the kit would be dies? And a cleaner and a trimmer? There's a lot of good reviews and I haven't heard anything bad while looking around. Is this a good deal and would this be a good starter set or is it overkill for someone just learning?

I was looking at the RCBS Rebel plus kit specifically because it's got so much included that I would otherwise have to source separately. Like the Rock Chucker that @Mikej suggested, It's an all-in-one package. For myself I don't even have calipers, so I'd need to source every tool and part.
Didn't have time to read everything between.
I'd stay with the "Rock Chuker" press and nothing less if going RCBS. Don't scrimp on the press. Midsouth has a sale now on the Supreme Master Reloading Kit

That Rebel kit does not have a balance scale. It comes with an electronic scale. Personally, I'll likely never use an electronic scale. Maybe you will, but my feeling is, you need to learn on a balance scale. It will NEVER go bad, if not abused.

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top