JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The 'how many guns do you need' thread got me wondering what is a small/med/large collection? Does the dollar figure of the guns count? Do multiple guns in the same caliber count?

In my personal view 1-3 guns of any caliber makes you a firearms owner. 4-6 is a small collection. 7-12 is a medium sized collection and 13+ would be considered a large collection. Playboy Penguin is in a leauge of his own :cool:

I'm not sure value of the individual guns plays a huge role in the overall size of a collection but I do think less of my own collection because of how many .22's I have. Don't get me wrong, I love my .22's but I count 'all' my .22 rifles as 1 when considering the above criteria (maybe 2, the 10/22 I built probably can stand on its own).

I wouldn't consider caliber in defining what a collection is. I don't collect guns as items to put in a safe and look at occasionally. I buy guns because I want to shoot them.

It isn't a question of "need" for me. I don't "need" any, but I want what I want and right now, I want another 10/22, an AK, a 9mm carbine, and either a ruger SR22 or a S&W MP 22. And more ammo, much more ammo.

I don't have a collection because I shoot all my guns. I have an assortment.

Considering your criteria in the OP, I would be considered a large collection owner. but when I look at what I have, I don't think of it as large. Each person will view this different. If you ask the Lame stream media, more than one equals a militia and less than one is a law abiding citizen...

Everyone needs seven guns: 22 pistol, 22 rifle, shotgun, big bore bolt gun, semi auto rifle, semi auto handgun, BUG. This is the bare minimum. So 8 walks you into the realm of collection.

13 isn't a large collection. There is a poll on the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) asking members how many firearms are in their household Poll; How many firearms in your household? - CMP Forums

<5: 5%
6-15: 12%
16-30: 28%
31-50: 17%
51-75: 16%
76-110: 7%
111-150: 4%
151-200: 4%
201-260: 3%
261+: 4%

83% of the respondents have more than 15 firearms in their household. 22% have more than 75 firearms in their household.

Based on the comments in the thread I'm not sure I believe the numbers, but if they are true, those are some very dedicated firearms enthusiests. Maintaining them must be a bear.

In reality, the question is based on perception. I'm guessing someone who has 260+ guns doesn't think 13+ guns is a large collection. Someone with 2 might. I was just curious what some of us consider small/med/large and super sized :)

Collectors for years have stated, that 3 items constitutes the start of a collection.. 3 guns,3 guns of the same brand, 3 guns of the same style,3 guns of the same model ie: ruger 22's, or 1911's , 3 guns of the same caliber..

13 isn't a large collection. There is a poll on the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) asking members how many firearms are in their household Poll; How many firearms in your household? - CMP Forums

<5: 5%
6-15: 12%
16-30: 28%
31-50: 17%
51-75: 16%
76-110: 7%
111-150: 4%
151-200: 4%
201-260: 3%
261+: 4%

83% of the respondents have more than 15 firearms in their household. 22% have more than 75 firearms in their household.

I think the sample population is not random enough. Those who answered in the poll are way too into guns and skewed the curve. It's hard to believe that, according to that poll, 55% of all gun owners have more than 50 firearms....

I'm trying to figure out what the original question is actually asking. Is "collection" defined as how many in ones possession? Or "collection" as in every model of Colt from the 1920's?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top