JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
not too hijack, but can I get some recomendations on a good online military surplus retailer for odds and ends like waterproof bags, 2qt canteens, alice pack acc etc etc

I treked far, far off the beaten path braving the pouring rain and snow. Drove my 4x4 through mud, over boulders and back home again. Sometimes it's good to know you can go where others can't.

Short novel here...

I dug and found my old copy of "Sourdough Jack's" sourdough cook book. That book has been out of print for years I believe, but I did see copies on Ebay for about $5 + shipping.

The only used one I found at Amazon.com, someone wanted $133.00 for!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The book used to come with a packet of dry starter, but of course any left would be dead and I let mine all die too. I called a long time friend who has kept it going and he's sending me a small jag of it. Since it's actually a yeast, it just takes a tiny amount to inoculate your batch, let it grow, and get enough to cook with.

San Francisco sourdough starter is also available on Ebay for about $5. There are different strains of the yeast which will deliver different flavors. San Francisco starter is well known and very good. You can't get it from the bread since cooking kills it. You always have to reserve a small amount of your starter, perpetually.

Old timers, especially those traveling used to carry the starter and some flour, sugar and salt and then they could make flapjacks, bread, biscuits etc. over the fire and they are good!

You can also make lots of other things like desserts and so on. The trick is that if you let the starter "work" too long, it gets more sour.

I used to just let mine work overnight at room temperature.

If it worked for the pioneers and the 49ers and the mountain men, it should work for us. :s0155:

not too hijack, but can I get some recomendations on a good online military surplus retailer for odds and ends like waterproof bags, 2qt canteens, alice pack acc etc etc

I'm sure someone can probably find better prices, but I've found a lot of useful items at campingsurvival.com. Lots of good stuff at cheaperthandirt.com too.

:s0155:

Replaced batteries in my smoke detectors (actually, I should have done this last week, but better late than never).

Checked my water supply (30-gallons, good until 3/1/10); checked my gasoline supply (10-gallons, good until 10/1/09 - whoops need to get more & I hate restocking this because of mess/smell).

Bought some more ammo at the gun show (.223, .38 spl, .380 auto). I try to buy at least 2-3 boxes of ammo every time I see some just to keep building my stockpile. How many calibers do I really need? There's a part of me that would like to greatly reduce the number of calibers I need to stock.

Gave my mom some extra food (canned soup, spaghetti sauce, tuna, cheese) - knowing that she has food on hand is one less thing I have to worry about.

Post an ad in the WTB section. Maybe we need a 'gear' section, just a suggestion. Anyway alot of members have more stuff than they need and it doesn't hurt to buy from local guys.

SAT- I got new tires for my truck (went down to a 35" handles so much better than the 37's and waiting to see how the new mpg) may see insignificant but people forget maintenance is TRAINING and those who fail to maintain are planning to fail.

Today got around to cleaning my G19 after last weeks shoot.

Excellant thread, almost a way to keep yourself accountable.

SF-

Bought a bunch of stuff for the 72 hr bags:
Dehydrated foods, saw, knives, binocs, parkas, firestarting gel, bug repellant, bugbite stuff. Slowly but surely getting them all together. Great ideas on here so far!
FYI,
Big 5 has some crazy cheap (quality) knives on sale and some small but OK binocs.

Can't post everyday but yesterday I started a formal training program with kettlebells. Physical training is just like practicing with your primary weapons and Just Jim is engaging in long walks he too is doing good PT. Also JohnWayne practicing his faith is building endurance internally also a much needed traight when facing a (fill in the blank). In times of high stress both physical and emotional strength will be tested. Those two internal traights cannot be bought and yet you will need the most of them when the time comes.

SF-

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top