JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1: 10/22(preferably suppressed)
2: 1911 in .45 ACP
3: PUMP shotgun, no autos that might not cycle and are hard to clear malfs under stress
4: Good bolt gun with good glass
5: Carbine like an AR or AK in something like 6.5G, 7.62x39, 7.62x40(yes, it is a real caliber, not a typo) or 300 Fireball/Whisper. Easy to control fast shots but better stopping power than 5.56x45mm.

The best arrangement for average Joe's home armory:

1. Semiauto pistol (9mm or better) for max cap and fast reload
2. Revolver (magnum caliber) for brute force in a single hand
3. Small rifle (.22LR) as stated, the "workhorse"
4. Tactical rifle (AK or AR platform) for best combat-oriented defense
5. Pump shotgun (12 ga) wide variety of ammo, and your best chance at a one-shot-stop for man or beast

I would have added a hunting rifle in a large game caliber, but a quality tactical rifle with decent optics will put plenty of food on the table and most folks rarely (if ever) need to hit a target beyond 300m. Even in a SHTF scenario, I can't imagine engaging zombies beyond 150m anyway.

As for the specifics of each category, I have (or would have):

1. Glock G30 .45
2. Ruger GP100 (.357m) or Redhawk (.44m)
3. 10/22 (until I get more knowledge/experience with .22LR models)
4. AR15 (I have a Stag and no complaints yet)
5. Mossberg 590A

Other than a long range hunting rifle, anything else I might get would be a redundancy of the above. Except maybe an MP5... because those are just too much fun.

1. Something that shoots .22LR
2. A 12ga shotgun
3. A revolver in any popular centerfire caliber (357/38/44/etc)
4. A semi-auto pistol in any popular centerfire caliber (9mm/40/45acp/etc)
5. A rifle in any popular centerfire caliber (308/30-06/30-30/223/etc)

Preferably several in each category :D

A 22 revolver, for snake shot loads. Allows you to engage rattlesnakes in the rocks.
A defense pistol. You choose, .38/9mm and above, capable of accurate rapid fire with practice, and will stop a BG in close quarters.
A 22 rifle for cheap practice/proficiency. Bolt or self loading.
Quality pump shotgun, for birds or BGs with appropriate ammo.
Quality centerfire rifle with glass. Chambered (.270/7RM/06/.338) so you can reach out to 500+ if necessary, and still stop something with thick skin.

These will allow you to protect or feed yourself, but may lack a little of the fun factor!

For so many reasons the list keeps changing, but for me here are my five.

1. Marlin 39a or 39c (have both)
2. Marlin 1894c in 357
3. S&W 60 in 357
4. Rem 870 12ga
5. this is the tough one but I go with the AR

thats it, :s0155:
otoe

OK I've thought about this some more,

22lr rifle. I like the Remington Nylon 66 for all-weather, but any good one.
AR-15. I'll stick with NATO calibers for availability, especially if times get tough.
AR-10, scoped, 5 rd clip for hunting, bigger clips for self defense. Again, NATO.
Good semi auto handgun, higher capacity, 9mm or bigger, concealable.
Good 12g shotgun, not for self defense only, but for actually bagging birds.

Now I still need a bolt rifle in .308 and a .22lr hand gun. :)

OK, I can still think of ten more I need. :)

(1) AR-15 (or if you can afford it, an M-16): "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State...."----As Americans, we have a responsibility to be proficient with our country's main battle rifle---whether we like that particular gun or not. Plus (and I know I am not the first to say this), replacement parts are plentiful and available at any military installation.

(2) A reliable sidearm- I prefer a Glock 17/19, but I'll give in to those with a 1911 or revolver fetish. I say 9mm because it is NATO standard and, if called upon to defend our homeland, what the military has.

(3) A Remington 870- The best shotgun ever made (IMHO). Stupid simple and totally reliable.

(4) A good .308 or similar caliber scoped rifle. I like my 1959 Winchester Model 88 lever action .308....but feel free to branch out. They didn't make enough 88's for everybody.

(5) An AK- I have a Saiga .223, but something in 7.62X39 probably makes sense. The caliber is common and THE GUN WILL NEVER FAIL.

#1 Handgun with as much magazine capacity as you can get your hands around (Glock, SIG, asf, preferably with easy cartridge conversion).

#2 Self-loading long-gun in a .30 caliber (Kalašnikov, AR, asf.) Why limit yourself to .223? I'm sure there's a good answer, but i can't think of one that applies to me.

#3 Long-gun in .22LR.

#4 Pump-sction shotgun in 12ga. for versatility and affordability.

#5 The same handgun as #1, or a subcompact thereof. (Because one is none, and handguns are essential in my view. And depending on the make of the subcompact, you can use the same magazines from #1.)

swoop,
All things considered and with price being a consideration, yes. :)

Were I able to afford one I'd rather have a nice FAL Para anyway. More realistic is a not too pricey scoped .308 for longer distance precision shots. More realistically still would probably be a Marlin 336.

On the first page Wennis had listed an AR-15 for his #2 pick and a M1A for #5 so don't know why Pencap thought he needed another .223 over a .308. And if we arn't paying for these, I would for sure have to go with the M1A over a AK..shot the M14 a bunch while in the military and love um. :)

1. Shotgun - 12 ga (20 ga if recoil sensitive) for home defense and hunting

2. Hi Capacity rifle - like an AR for SHTF and hunting small game

3. Larger caliber hunting rifle - ammo size depends on terrain and what is in your area to hunt - something in the .256 through .308 range.

4. Full size steel frame handgun for home defense - in .40, .45. Get a .22 LR barrel if you can for practice and plinking.

5. Concealable carry gun - depends on climate and how much clothes you wear (unless you always open carry). Can vary from a .380 mousegun/9 mm/.40 or .38spec/357 magnum revolvers.

Boy, I need to start saving up!:s0107:

1. CZ-452 Scout .22lr w 10rd mag. (compact, accurate .22).
2. Winchester 1300 defender 12ga. (Close in work).
3. FN-FAL, .308 with Leupold 1-4 power scope. (Med range work).
4. Rem 700 .308 sniper with Leupold 4-12 power scope. (Long range work).
5. Glock 21, .45. (hi-cap auto that makes big holes).

1- a 22 rimfire repeating rifle
2- a single six ruger
3- a 12 gauge pump or double bbl
4- a turn bolt high power hunting rifle, say in 270win.
5- a double action 4" 357 mag revolver
If I could only have 5

How about five of each, rifle, handgun, and shotgun? If I had to really keep it to five total, then the bold entries would be my, sob, choice.

CZ452 .22LR
AR-15 5.56
Marlin 336 .30-30
Ruger No. One in your choice of caliber (mine is a .300 H&H)
Marlin 1894 .357

Ruger Single Six .22LR/Magnum
Browning Hi-Power 9mm
.357 Ruger 50th Anniversary Blackhawk
USFA SAA or Ruger New Vaquero (depending on budget), your choice of caliber though mine would be .44 Special even if it requires custom work.
1911 .45ACP

.410 single shot, preferably an H&R M48, steel and walnut
A.H. Fox 20 gauge SxS
Franchi 48AL 20ga
Remington 870 or Ithaca 37 12ga
Beretta O/U 12ga

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show