JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1. A .22 rifle: If all what you want is something to burn up what "used to be" cheap ammo, then a . 22 auto rifle is fine. IMO, a .22 is an understudy gun to centerfire riles that is used to develop excellence in marksmanship. If you can't excel with a .22, perhaps you need to stay there till you can. The Winchester 52 comes to mind as the ultimate, although the CZ's made these days aren't too bad.

2. A .22 pistol. Again, training towards competence with the pistol with lots of shooting is what these guns do best. With revolvers, a K frame Smith, hands down. With autos, a Colt Woodsman, one of the better Hi-Standards, the SW 41 or perhaps the Browning Buckmark.

3. A centerfire rifle for hunting. I prefer the bolt actions (Mauser type) for long range, such as the pre-64 Winchesters or else the falling block actions, such as the Winchester Hi-Wall or the Ruger #1. Not to say that the lever actions or pumps are inappropriate for closer range deep wood hunting. Think Win 94, Savage 99 or Win 95. Caliber appropriate to what you hunt for.

4. A defensive handgun. Very much a matter of personal taste but stick to the "defensive" calibers, that begin with 9mm/.38 and go up from there. Not to say that .32 and .380 don't have their place. Sometimes. Revo or auto?....either one.

5. Something fun. For some, that could be a black rifle. And others, a single action Colt/Ruger for cowboy action. For me, a Pennsylvania-Kentucky long rifle or a Sharps.

6. Sorry, five is not enough. A shotgun. For hunters, either a duck gun or a bird gun (or both). For the tactical persuasion, a short pump.

General:

.22 - preferably a rifle - 10/22 is about perfect

Intermediate caliber semi-automatic rifle - AR, AK, whatever...

Handgun in common caliber - whatever floats your boat really

12 gauge shotgun - 870 or 500/590 are clearly the top choices here

.308 rifle - MBR, precision semi- or bolt, again whatever works.

+1

Specific:

10/22

16" AR (midlength) with at least a light, preferably an optic.

XD series 40 or 45

saiga 12

AR-10 20" barrel + nice scope

+1

Specific:

10/22

XD series 40 or 45

saiga 12

AR-10 20" barrel + nice scope

Good choices but I'd skip the AR-15 for a Carbine in your chosen pistol caliber. One reason I choose 45 ACP is because I'd modify it for 45 Super for a wee bit more velocity out the muzzle for slightly increased range, accuracy, and power. FWIW I converted one of my 1911's for Super... I know your going to say I should have converted it to 460 Rowland. It's person preference I guess. 45 super can be loaded to very close to 460 Rowland pressures/velocity with the right barrel FWIW and it's much cheaper to convert and I carry it and I find a compensator a bit to bulky for me. FYI I have loaded and fired some 185 JHP 45 super rounds that I clocked at 1525 fps out of a 5" barreled modified 1911. I converted that gun back to 45 acp and sold it after purchasing a better 1911, unfortunately these rounds turn out to be to hot for the new gun since the cartridge on the new gun was not as well supported do to excessive throating of the barrel. I now load my 185gr Super rounds down to 1350 fps, these are a **** of allot nicer to shoot anyways.

If society fell apart and I had to head for the hills with just one gun, it would be a Remington Nylon 66 .22 LR. The gun is indestructible, weatherproof and I could carry a couple thousand rounds of ammo. I don't have a very high opinion of the 10/22 - the one's I've fired tended to jamb. Maybe that's just my bad luck. ??

I used to have bad problems with jamming and FTF with my 10/22 that I attributed to it being over 20 years old and the fact that it hadn't had a complete tear down cleaning in a while. But when it still jammed after a REALLY thorough cleaning I decided to try something that I hadn't since I first bought the gun.

I used the factory 10 round mag instead of the after market plastic 30 rounders. BINGO, problem solved. I have cycled several hundred rounds through the factory mags and had ZERO jams or failure to feeds since. So I bought several more factory mags and ditched the old "banana mags". :D

Besides... now if I want to rip off several rounds I'll use my GSG-5 instead. :p

1) 10/22 .22lr (training/small game/easy to carry many rounds)
2) Mark III .22lr (training/small game/easy to carry many rounds)
3) 870 12 ga (although I love my 870 20 ga for it's low recoil/fast follow up if SHTF, shells would be harder to find)
4) Any defensive handgun in 9mm/45acp
5) .30-06 good round, easier to find ammo, and if you reload it covers a wide range of uses.

All based on having very common ammo that doesn't come from overseas sources.

It's also a little funny that my most expensive firearm in .223 didn't make the cut.

1. Ruger MK III .22LR Target Pistol for plinking.
2. Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 .22 LR for varmints.
3. Ruger GP 100 .357 for hiking.
4. S & W 642 w/laser for concealed carry
5. Mossberg 500 or Saiga 12 for two legged nighttime varmints.
6. Saiga rifle or AK for WTSHTF.
Sorry I couldn't keep it to five without offending one of my girls.

Top 5 guns that I think everybody SHOULD own?

1. M240B General purpose machine gun
2. Select fire, Suppressed 10/22
3. Tromix Full Auto Saiga 12
4. Barret .50 cal (model of choice depending on the owners needs)
5. Glock 18 select fire with threaded barrel and Suppressor.

oh wait a minute is this based on reality... then:

1. REM 870 in 12 G
2. Scoped .308 (bolt or semi preferred in a scout configuration)
3. Good quality handgun (were are Americans and have to many choices of caliber and mag size)
4. a .22 LR rifle (see #3)
5. semi auto carbine (insert AK vs. AR debate)

SF-

I used to have bad problems with jamming and FTF with my 10/22 that I attributed to it being over 20 years old and the fact that it hadn't had a complete tear down cleaning in a while. But when it still jammed after a REALLY thorough cleaning I decided to try something that I hadn't since I first bought the gun.

I used the factory 10 round mag instead of the after market plastic 30 rounders. BINGO, problem solved. I have cycled several hundred rounds through the factory mags and had ZERO jams or failure to feeds since. So I bought several more factory mags and ditched the old "banana mags". :D

Besides... now if I want to rip off several rounds I'll use my GSG-5 instead. :p

I also had trouble with 25 & 30 round mags..then found that if you take some sand paper or small file to clean up the lips a little, they seem to work fine. Hope that works for ya. :)

Top 5 guns that I think everybody SHOULD own?

1. M240B General purpose machine gun
2. Select fire, Suppressed 10/22
3. Tromix Full Auto Saiga 12
4. Barret .50 cal (model of choice depending on the owners needs)
5. Glock 18 select fire with threaded barrel and Suppressor.

oh wait a minute is this based on reality... then:
That is realistic! I can have all those things down here in Oregon if I choose to pay the extra tax money and jump through the hoops. ;) Thing is though I am quite content with semi-auto and loud myself.

General:

.22 - preferably a rifle - 10/22 is about perfect

Intermediate caliber semi-automatic rifle - AR, AK, whatever...

Handgun in common caliber - whatever floats your boat really

12 gauge shotgun - 870 or 500/590 are clearly the top choices here

.308 rifle - MBR, precision semi- or bolt, again whatever works.

Specific:

10/22

GLOCK 19

Remington 870

Knight's SASS or LaRue OSR.... I only dream of both so its hard to say...

ditto...

Ruger 10/22

14.5" -16" M4/AR15

HK USP

Remington 870 SuperMag 12g(multiple bbls)

Remington 700 VTR

I'll suggest these:

1) Remington 870 12 ga w/ 18" & 28" barrels
2) Ruger 10/22
3) S&W 686 4"
4) Colt 1911
5) Marlin 336C 30-30

All classics. You could exchange the Remington 870 for a Mossberg 500 if you like that better. The 10/22 could be exchanged for almost any .22lr rifle (I might pick a CZ-452). The 686 could be swapped for a Ruger GP100. The 1911 could be exchanged for a Glock 19 or any other "combat pistol" of your choice (heresy - I know). The Marlin could be exchanged for either a 30.06 bolt action gun or AR-15 depending on where you live & your needs.

I'm still debating this myself... Personally, I want things that are common and not too expensive. Here is what I lean towards currently:
- Glock 19, with a .22 conversion accesory
- Bushmaster AR, 16 inch, 5.56, with a .22 conversion accesory
- Vector Arms AK, 16 inch, 7.62x39, with a .22 conversion accesory
- Remington 870 HD
- Marlin 1894C, 18.5 inch barrel, .357/.38

1. Quality Pistol (mine is a M&P 40)
2. Remington 870 (with both 26" barrel and 18" HD barrel)
3. FN-FAL (for HD and SHTF purposes)
4. .308 hunting rifle (ammo interchanges with the FAL)
5. Ruger 10/22

favorite quote on the .308...it'll turn your conver into concealment

My sixth would be an AK variant for reliability purposes...but if I could only keep 5 guns, that list would be it as I think it covers the bases pretty well.

Great question!

swoop,
All things considered and with price being a consideration, yes. :)

Were I able to afford one I'd rather have a nice FAL Para anyway. More realistic is a not too pricey scoped .308 for longer distance precision shots. More realistically still would probably be a Marlin 336.

1.Ruger super single 22/22m. good all purpose work horse.
2.older 243 any make, as there are many loads and load data available.
3.1911 base gun for carry.
4.AK for mass firepower needs.
5.GE mini cause "they bring good things to life" and no one said who was paying the ammo bill.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top