WA transfers now subject to sales tax

Discussion in 'Firearm-Related Business Discussion & Reviews' started by Bazooka Joe, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Active Member

0   0   0
    The Washington Dept. of Revenue has determined that interstate transfers of firearms are subject to tax and the dealer must collect the tax from the buyer.

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Well-Known Member

30   0   1
    Well that sucks, but I'm not surprised. Gotta pay for all those entitlement programs.
  3. Dyjital

Dyjital Modaholic Gold Supporter

46   0   0
    I wonder if that will lower the legal transfers?
  4. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Active Member

8   0   0
    What am I missing?

Sales tax on a gift just because it has to be transferred?

By that logic should a WA resident I sent a Christmas present to have to pay tax on it?
  5. Dyjital

Dyjital Modaholic Gold Supporter

46   0   0
    I find no hole in your logic. Would assume that it's correct. Unless firearm owners are being singled out.
  6. 9mmD

9mmD Member

17   0   0

Ya think :paranoid:
  7. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Well-Known Member

30   0   1
    I doubt seriously this is a firearms issue. This is a revenue issue. WA state in a down economy is looking for revenue anywhere it can get it to fund it's social welfare and entitlement programs. Look for other fee and "revenue enhancement" programs to come down the pike.
  8. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Active Member

102   0   0
    Is Oregon next?
  9. ZachS

ZachS Active Member

3   0   0
    Some of the left-wing dems here want a sales tax, but a majority of the party is pretty tepid about it. Kicker "reform" is the next big target.

We're most likely going to continue seeing big increases in government fees and reductions in service.
  10. enjr4

enjr4 Active Member

7   0   0
    My understanding of this is that it is a change in the law per House Bill 1597 and does not become effective until July 1, 2010.

Does anyone know if I am correct or what? Some FFLs are collecting the tax now and some are not. Does anyone know the true story?

enjr4
  11. deen_ad

deen_ad Well-Known Member

12   0   0
  12. deen_ad

12   0   0
    it is the law and has been for many, many years. If I drive to Portland and buy a washer/dryer and have it delivered I have to pay use/sales tax on it even though the purchase was in OR. If I pick the units up in OR and transport them myself I SUPPOSED to go to the Dept of Revenue and pay the WA use tax on them. You're supposed to do that for EVERYTHING purchased out of state (other than food). Been that way for YEARS and YEARS now but most people don't know it so it's largely ignored.

A few years ago WA state sent agents to watch people loading their cars/trucks in OR, they then radioed the info to waiting State Troopers who then stopped the vehicles and levied fines for not paying the sales tax!

Guess most people missed that, I've been around enough years to remember them, plus my father (as did I) worked for the State of WA.
  13. deen_ad

12   0   0
    supposed to have been doing it for years now. My FFL has been doing it for years now also.
  14. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Active Member

102   0   0
    what about internet items? sales tax or use tax?
  15. deen_ad

12   0   0
    a "nexus" (storefront, office, warehouse or storage) in WA then , yes, you must collect sales/use tax from any WA resident.
  16. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Active Member

8   0   0
    I know it's supposed to work that way on purchased items, I was curious about gifts.
  17. Ryo

Ryo Member

3   0   0
    I believe I read somewhere if you do a transfer and the owner of the firearm can show that they paid taxes on it already, they don't charge for the WA tax. Am I correct about that?
  18. Riot

Riot Well-Known Member

1   0   0
    They gotta find ways to raise taxes somehow...soon there will be new traffic laws that will make the cell phone laws look conservative.
  19. Ryo

Ryo Member

3   0   0
    I certainly hope it gets challenged. It's unfair for the FFL dealer having to be the tax collector and monitor what people buy. So if you bought a used item, and taxes were paid for it.. it's double dipping.

I'm starting to believe if I have a garage sale, they would be stopping by to pick up the taxes. :paranoid:
  20. bcp

bcp Member

0   0   0

http://dor.wa.gov/docs/reports/2010/tax_reference_2010/08use.pdf

Legally, Washington residents owe use tax on items which were not subject to sales tax. Examples include items purchased in other states and brought into Washington for use here, purchases made via mail order and the Internet (even though the out-of-state seller cannot be required to collect sales tax, the buyer still owes use tax), and items bought from persons other than registered retail vendors, such as at garage sales. From a practical perspective, it is very difficult and would be prohibitively expensive to enforce payment of use tax in all situations in which it is technically due, especially as it applies to individual purchases.