JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Washington Dept. of Revenue has <broken link removed> and the dealer must collect the tax from the buyer.

Is the transfer of a firearm subject to sales tax?

In an interstate transfer of firearms the Washington gun dealer is required to collect retail sales tax from the Washington resident on the purchase price of the firearm. The retail sales tax is collected from the Washington customer at the time the customer takes possession of the firearm. Sales tax is collected on the total selling price, including freight and/or delivery charges and other amounts added, such a an amount for insurance coverage.

If the selling price is not evident, it is up to the gun dealer to obtain this price by either requiring the purchaser to show the purchase price or to obtain that information from the out-of-state dealer. If, for whatever reason, the dealer is still unable to obtain the original purchase price, RCW 82.08.010 provides that the fair market value shall be used. It is the responsibility of the Washington gun dealer to determine the price in order to report and pay the sales tax due.

If the firearm is obtained by gift, the instate dealer is obligated to collect use tax on the fair market value of the firearm, unless the receiving person can document that the prior owner had paid retail sales or use tax on the firearm

What am I missing?

Sales tax on a gift just because it has to be transferred?

By that logic should a WA resident I sent a Christmas present to have to pay tax on it?

I find no hole in your logic. Would assume that it's correct. Unless firearm owners are being singled out.

I find no hole in your logic. Would assume that it's correct. Unless firearm owners are being singled out.

I doubt seriously this is a firearms issue. This is a revenue issue. WA state in a down economy is looking for revenue anywhere it can get it to fund it's social welfare and entitlement programs. Look for other fee and "revenue enhancement" programs to come down the pike.

My understanding of this is that it is a change in the law per House Bill 1597 and does not become effective until July 1, 2010.

Does anyone know if I am correct or what? Some FFLs are collecting the tax now and some are not. Does anyone know the true story?

enjr4

What am I missing?

Sales tax on a gift just because it has to be transferred?

By that logic should a WA resident I sent a Christmas present to have to pay tax on it?

it is the law and has been for many, many years. If I drive to Portland and buy a washer/dryer and have it delivered I have to pay use/sales tax on it even though the purchase was in OR. If I pick the units up in OR and transport them myself I SUPPOSED to go to the Dept of Revenue and pay the WA use tax on them. You're supposed to do that for EVERYTHING purchased out of state (other than food). Been that way for YEARS and YEARS now but most people don't know it so it's largely ignored.

A few years ago WA state sent agents to watch people loading their cars/trucks in OR, they then radioed the info to waiting State Troopers who then stopped the vehicles and levied fines for not paying the sales tax!

Guess most people missed that, I've been around enough years to remember them, plus my father (as did I) worked for the State of WA.

My understanding of this is that it is a change in the law per House Bill 1597 and does not become effective until July 1, 2010.

Does anyone know if I am correct or what? Some FFLs are collecting the tax now and some are not. Does anyone know the true story?

enjr4

supposed to have been doing it for years now. My FFL has been doing it for years now also.

it is the law and has been for many, many years. If I drive to Portland and buy a washer/dryer and have it delivered I have to pay use/sales tax on it even though the purchase was in OR. If I pick the units up in OR and transport them myself I SUPPOSED to go to the Dept of Revenue and pay the WA use tax on them. You're supposed to do that for EVERYTHING purchased out of state (other than food). Been that way for YEARS and YEARS now but most people don't know it so it's largely ignored.

A few years ago WA state sent agents to watch people loading their cars/trucks in OR, they then radioed the info to waiting State Troopers who then stopped the vehicles and levied fines for not paying the sales tax!

Guess most people missed that, I've been around enough years to remember them, plus my father (as did I) worked for the State of WA.

I know it's supposed to work that way on purchased items, I was curious about gifts.

I believe I read somewhere if you do a transfer and the owner of the firearm can show that they paid taxes on it already, they don't charge for the WA tax. Am I correct about that?

It's going to be challenged in court.
1. FFL's are being singled out and expected to be Tax Enforcement Agents of The State. I'm told that this is not lawful. The law (actually it is just currently a "rule") is not being applied/enforced equally on all retailer/vendors, and that is against the law. The law (rule) cannot be sellectively enforced.
2. How does one lawfully collect sales tax on an item one does not sell? So, if anything at all it is a use tax only issue.

What my fear is, is that FFL's will just kneel in subjection to The State and act as Tax Enforcement Agents for The State rather than collectively fight this bogus unlawful act by The State. In fact many are already on bended knee and doing the will of The State before even getting involved in the fight.

Contact NSSF, contact the NRA, and contact your Republican (or reasonable thinking Democrat) Congressman, and let them know about this unjust act by The State.

I certainly hope it gets challenged. It's unfair for the FFL dealer having to be the tax collector and monitor what people buy. So if you bought a used item, and taxes were paid for it.. it's double dipping.

I'm starting to believe if I have a garage sale, they would be stopping by to pick up the taxes. :s0131:

I'm starting to believe if I have a garage sale, they would be stopping by to pick up the taxes.

<broken link removed>

Legally, Washington residents owe use tax on items which were not subject to sales tax. Examples include items purchased in other states and brought into Washington for use here, purchases made via mail order and the Internet (even though the out-of-state seller cannot be required to collect sales tax, the buyer still owes use tax), and items bought from persons other than registered retail vendors, such as at garage sales. From a practical perspective, it is very difficult and would be prohibitively expensive to enforce payment of use tax in all situations in which it is technically due, especially as it applies to individual purchases.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top