JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi i cant find the 1969 (date made) marlin 336 the s# starts with 69 and then a space so i would think its a 1969 from what i have found but i cant seem to find it any help would be grate thanks.

if it starts with a 69, it should be a 1969 as you noted...

i'm not sure what the official value would be, but based on condition i've bought/sold them anywhere from $200 to $450 for that age in/around the Portland area in the past couple years.
the one i sold for $450 was in very good to excellent original condition... think it was a 1970 if i remember correctly.
the cheapest i've bought was $200 and wasn't the prettiest but was in fine working condition, strong blue, rough stock. it's a 1968.

hope that helps

I think it was big 5 or Dicks that had the Marlin AS 30-30 for sale new at a price of $399 a week or so ago. So using that as a base you have to determine if the older 30-30 has any collection value and if not you are in the $250 to $350 range I believe. Depends on condition and models. I recently sold one that was a 1960 vintage in nice shape for $250, but it had been marked up by the owner with a drivers license number under the receiver.

Don't mark up your guns folks, it reduces their value considerably. If you choose to mark them take off a wood or other panel and mark them where it does not show.

UBIQUITOUS

existing or being everywhere at the same time : constantly encountered : widespread <a

I'll go with the $200-450 range.With $450 being a very nice one.100% and maybe with a box.
But the problem with these guns is everybody had one of these or a '94.Right next to a shot gun.
And they used them.
I would guess my early Winchester '94 at around $300-350(good day)
The Marlins being about the same value.

You can start here: <broken link removed> . Scroll almost halfway down to get to the 336's. This can give you a rough estimate of what you're holding. The older Marlins can hold value...especially if thet are in good shape.

You can start here: <broken link removed> . Scroll almost halfway down to get to the 336's. This can give you a rough estimate of what you're holding. The older Marlins can hold value...especially if thet are in good shape.
Wow, that looks like it might be an old edition of the BlueBook; the prices are extremely low. For instance, it shows a 336W in 70% condition at $120 plus $44 for a factory 3x9 scope. I looked this up a couple of weeks ago in the almost-out-of-date gun values book at my local FFL, and it showed $195 plus $50 for the scope (in same 70% condition). Local conditions can affect values as well; these seem to sell between $350-400 on local sites all the time.

Another example showing how low this link's values are is the 70PSS... If anyone wants to sell a Papoose for the prices listed on the link, please feel free to call me! Heck, if anyone wants to unload a decent 336 for $120 like the example above shows, keep me in mind - I have cash.

The Blue Book of Gun Values is an over-rated tool. An item is what people are willing to pay for it. The Blue Book simply does not have the time, resources, or space to consider all the factors that go into gun values. Current politics, geography, the latest magazine article or TV program. Sometimes its a good starting point, other times it isn't.

The Blue Book of gun values is a good place to start if you have the latest edition. Then you have to go to the market and see with the auction pricing is like to determine your final value to set for your Marlin.

You can price an old one for $450 or $1,000 for that matter if you want but when you can by a brand new Marlin AS 30-30 for $400 today who would be dumb enough to pay more than that for a old model. Assuming there is no collector value, like a John Wayne model for instance.

Wasn't it PT Barnum that said "There is a sucker born everyday!" You will see the hooks out on Gun Broker and Guns America, with all kinds of BS lines about there gun being owned by Audy Murphy, or some other line to set the hook and a big fat price tag to go with the ad.

But look at all the ads and take an average of the pricing you will be close to current retail value for a nice used rifle.

The Blue Book of gun values is a good place to start if you have the latest edition. Then you have to go to the market and see with the auction pricing is like to determine your final value to set for your Marlin.

You can price an old one for $450 or $1,000 for that matter if you want but when you can by a brand new Marlin AS 30-30 for $400 today who would be dumb enough to pay more than that for a old model. Assuming there is no collector value, like a John Wayne model for instance.

Wasn't it PT Barnum that said "There is a sucker born everyday!" You will see the hooks out on Gun Broker and Guns America, with all kinds of BS lines about there gun being owned by Audy Murphy, or some other line to set the hook and a big fat price tag to go with the ad.

But look at all the ads and take an average of the pricing you will be close to current retail value for a nice used rifle.
This is the second reference indicating that you can buy a new one at Dick's or WallyWorld for under $400. There is a difference in quality and value between the AS / W / CC models and the older C or CS models, which is what I assume the OP has (unless I missed something after his original post). The C/CS models and others with the walnut stock instead of the pressed birch stock stained to look like walnut are worth more, and older Marlins are generally of better quality than the newer ones. This is reflected in the Blue Book link posted above (I think the AS/W models at 70% are shown at $120 and the C/CS models are somewhere around $195 according to the posted link which is way low compared to current values). I have a newer W model and like it fine, but I would gladly trade it for a similar older CS.

The big problem is that these all look so similar that you really have to know the differences or do the research to price it accurately, and it will take a knowledgeable buyer to understand the differences that justify the disparity in pricing.