JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought one of the EP lowers in question, but I got it direct from EP.
It's molded around a different color insert, you still have to mill it out. There are several utube videos showing it. Not worried about it.

I almost bought a couple of those 80% lowers from Ares about a week before the EP raid, but decided to postpone it for a while for other priorities.

I thought it'd be fun to machine out a lower and "git er done"... Looks like I dodged an ATF inquisition! Once the dust settles and things are ironed out Ill get me a couple... Maybe. ;)

I have both of the polymer receivers in question. I got them from forum members on Calguns.net. I am not on any list from the manufacturer though. The EP lowers come with there own disposable jig. It is a one time use deal and then you through it away. I bought them for the experience of machining a lower when I machine the aluminum lower I have. Unless they make a sweeping rule and call them illegal.......I think the price just went up because of the attention....lol

When in California, the friendliest state for AR-15's, make sure to advertise in big bold letters "No FFL, No serial". What could possibly go wrong.

Reading the indictments, it looks like many little companies were involved..and some people are going to be in a world of hurt.

"9. Over the course of the next month, UC#2 and QUILACIO met on six separate days.
During the course of these meetings, QUILACIO delivered fifteen short-barreled AR-15
rifles and five AR-15 rifles (with barrel lengths exceeding sixteen inches) in exchange for
payment of approximately $25,000 in cash. None of these firearms were registered.
None of these firearms contained a serial number. And no ATF paperwork or
background checks were completed."

Last Edited:
When in California, the friendliest state for AR-15's, make sure to advertise in big bold letters "No FFL, No serial". What could possibly go wrong.

Reading the indictments, it looks like many little companies were involved..and some people are going to be in a world of hurt.

"9. Over the course of the next month, UC#2 and QUILACIO met on six separate days.
During the course of these meetings, QUILACIO delivered fifteen short-barreled AR-15
rifles and five AR-15 rifles (with barrel lengths exceeding sixteen inches) in exchange for
payment of approximately $25,000 in cash. None of these firearms were registered.
None of these firearms contained a serial number. And no ATF paperwork or
background checks were completed."

And that's exactly why we should keep an eye on this and not rush to judgment. If Ares, and others, were indeed involved in illegal buys, then we should be holding them accountable, and not denigrating the ATF. Let's at least wait until we hear all of the story. For all we know, this could be another fast and furious gone wrong.

For every rule or law, there is always somebody figuring out a way around the rule. Then the rule maker changes the rules because they don"t like the people outsmarting them!

Regardless on how me look at it, the people that enforce the law should not be able to interpret or make the law. It is a huge conflict of interest, and goes against the concept of our checks and balances. You will never see this brought up in court though.

Once again a great article Dave. :)

If you liked that one...you're gonna love this:

Ares Armor operating; store cameras caught first moments of raid

Ares Armor store security cameras caught the first moments of a raid by agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Saturday, and in an interview this morning with Examiner and The Gun Mag.com, Ares CEO Dimitrios Karras said the company is up and running, and has already replaced computers seized during the raid.

<broken link removed>

The United States District Court, Southern District of California on Wednesday granted a joint motion filed earlier in the day by attorneys for <broken link removed> and the Department of Justice. The order vacated as moot a preliminary injunction hearing scheduled for Thursday, vacated the Temporary Restraining Order issued on March 11 (and the modification issued on March 14), and affirmed Ares Armor's rights to file an amended complaint and to seek further injunctive relief.

Today's motion and order marks the bringing out of the big guns...
<broken link removed>

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top