JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was wandering through Sports Authority in Tanasbourne looking at shotgun ammo today. A gentlemen working there noticed me perusing the area and we struck up a conversation. He said they had plans to open a full blown gun section similar to the old GI Joe's (no, never Joe's Outdoors!). They hoped to have it going by September 1. I don't know if that is true of other Sports Authority stores. At least another option to Bi-Mart or Big Five.

I was wandering through Sports Authority in Tanasbourne looking at shotgun ammo today. A gentlemen working there noticed me perusing the area and we struck up a conversation. He said they had plans to open a full blown gun section similar to the old GI Joe's (no, never Joe's Outdoors!). They hoped to have it going by September 1. I don't know if that is true of other Sports Authority stores. At least another option to Bi-Mart or Big Five.

I heard the same thing, if this is true kudos to Sports Authority for seeing past the political dog and pony show and doing what the people want! :s0155:

Sports authority has been VERY anti-gun for years... If they are starting to stock guns/parts/ammo I'm guessing it is purely for profiteering (not that that's a bad business move).

I personally will not be supporting them, bi-mart has always supported my 2nd amendment beliefs and I will continue to use my dollar to support and thank them for their years of genuine service.

Sports authority has been VERY anti-gun for years.

I agree. When I asked about where they had their ammunition, I got the dirtiest looks...

I personally will not be supporting them, bi-mart has always supported my 2nd amendment beliefs and I will continue to use my dollar to support and thank them for their years of genuine service.

+1 for Bimart. My only gripe...and it's a small one is that they will usually take your ODL when you purchase components or ammo.

+1 for Bimart. My only gripe...and it's a small one is that they will usually take your ODL when you purchase components or ammo.

The only time I've been asked for ODL at Bimart is when I don't have my son and husband. Then I think I look too young. I get IDed doing -everything-!

But I don't know how old you are, so that may or may not be your case. :p

That's great to hear. I did not even realize that they had ammo... I am very fond of Bi-Mart but I wish they would broaden their selection to include handguns and more defense oriented long guns plus more magazines and other accessories.

i spoke to someone on the phone of the jantzen beach sports authority a while ago and they said they will soon be selling ammo. not a big fan of the place, but hey...

only been carded once at bi-mart. they're also really nice about letting you shop without a membership card, as a guest (i've since bought one). good prices too.

Thats good news. I do not shop at sporting goods stores that do not at least sell ammo. To me a sporting good store that discriminates against hunters and target shooters just is not a sporting good store .

I went by the Sports Authority in Clackamas today and it looked like they were putting the final touches on a new shooting and hunting section. There was nothing too amazing and the prices were average to fairly high but the good news is that they had a selection of 50+ rifles and shotguns! The most interesting to me were the 870s and Mini-14's, otherwise it was mostly hunting stuff only.

There was a sign up saying that they would take your ID if you wanted to look at any of the guns and return it when you returned the gun. The sign also made reference to S.A. carrying handguns but the employee I talked to said that pretty much only their Alaskan stores carry handguns. I told him that I was very happy to see that they were at least carrying the guns they had now but that I would love to see a better variety, including handguns.

I encourage everyone who gets the chance to stop into a Sports Authority, thank them for starting to carry guns and ask them to start carrying handguns, ARs and other cooler long guns, better gear, etc.

:s0155:

I stopped into the new Sports Authority, across the street from Northgate Mall in Seattle, today. It was their grand opening. It's located in the spot once occupied by G.I. Joes. You have to walk through the usual clothing departments to the back of the store to find the gun counter. It's pretty small. All hunting rifles and shotguns. No handguns. Not much ammo. They did have the new S&W M&P15-.22. The first I've seen so I asked to take a look. The nice young man said "Sure, may I hold your driver's license?" Huh? I said "No". This is a first for me. Has anyone else here had to hand over their license to simply hold a gun? I'm unaware of any shop around Seattle that does this. They're gonna have to put on a **** of a sale for me to go back.

Jack

Last Edited:
The 'let me hold your ID ' is new to me,but can u blame them? I mean,you take off with that rifle,and they haven't much chance of stopping you,so they want some ID of the person running with the gun.
If you purchase the gun,they get your ID,so it's kind of a moot point
Now,if they are copying down the info just to look at the gun,I might object to that,pretty sure I would.

The 'let me hold your ID ' is new to me,but can u blame them? I mean,you take off with that rifle,and they haven't much chance of stopping you,so they want some ID of the person running with the gun.
If you purchase the gun,they get your ID,so it's kind of a moot point
Now,if they are copying down the info just to look at the gun,I might object to that,pretty sure I would.

That sounds sheepleish to me. I doubt they'd want to hold my ID before letting me try on clothing or running shoes. Sounds to me like the store manager is testing our limits...

Why is that any different than giving over your drivers license when you test drive a car? They photocopy it for their insurance records and it goes into your file whether or not you buy a car. Them holding onto your license means that you're less inclined to skate with the merchandise or to commit an unlawful act while in possession of their equipment. If you have nothing to hide, you have no problems whatsoever. Of if you want to know why, just ask them why the policy.

As to the clothing comparison, you're less likely to kill someone with a shoe. Guns go boom and make holes in things.

It was 25 months ago when I last test drove a car at a dealer and I was not asked for my drivers license. Never been asked for my license to handle a gun and I"ve bought 4 handguns at retail stores in the past 2 years.

If you have nothing to hide, you have no problems whatsoever.

Having nothing to hide does NOT make your private information other people's business. Defending my right to privacy does not mean I have anything to hide. It means my drivers license information is none of their business until after I agree to buy. Up to that point it's their job to interest me in their product without alienating me.

We don't really know what their real reason is do we? To prevent theft is a terribly weak argument since a theif would likely bring a gun of their own to expedite the transaction. In that case, security cameras would help to identify the theif. Same cameras would identify a runner.

Makes no difference if it's privacy or open carry. If you don't exercise your rights, you will loose them. That store is testing to see if you'll give up your right to privacy... You don't have to!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top