JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a PT140 and so far so good. After about 500 rounds through it, nary a failure. It feels good in my hand, is a natural pointer, nice rounded edges make for easy concealment. All around good gun. I also own an Model 66 .357 magnum. Very nice gun.

When you post something on this forum, lets make it factual and safe...especially safe!

Just because one firearm can handle something stupid, doesn't mean every firearm will.
And as the old saying goes...just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

In all fairness, like others here have said, EVERYBODY makes a lemon now and then. My first Dan Wesson CBOB was a POS that I couldn't get more than three rounds down range before it locked up like a bank vault. Sent it in for warranty repair and the didn't just repair it, they replaced it with another CBOB that they picked out of a group of five that they tested to make sure it functioned reliably Now THAT's customer service.

That being said, Taurus does seem to have more lemons that make it thru the QC process than other manufacturers.

The thread is asking why people don't like Taurus'. I posted nothing that isn't factual and nothing that isn't safe... with a quality firearm.

If a gun can't withstand something as simple as firing with an obstructed barrel, it's not a quality firearm plain and simple. The implication I left open for others was that Taurus' are simply not quality guns because of their cheaper construction. And being able to handle a squib load is not "stupid". It's a nice safety feature to have in case of... SQUIBS! And for those of us who are rough on our guns there's more than one way a barrel can become obstructed. My guns are tools, not display pieces. They get used and sometimes dirty.

I have one of there littel 25 auto's.The only issue I have had is one of the grip plate screws sheared.Most likely me over tighting.
Other than that is shoots all the diffrent brands of ammo every time.

Sean

Hmmm. I've had a few Taurus pistols and liked them. However, I did buy a brand new Taurus TRACKER .357 revolver just recently. Went out shooting, and it jammed up and wouldnt fire... who makes a jamming REVOLVER?!? was my initial irritated thought. Went online, and after visiting a few blogsites discussing this model, apparently it is common. Good news about Taurus is the lifetime warrenty... lifetime of the actual gun, not the owner... no matter how many times resold or transferred around they will always repair them. So I'm shipping it off to Miami for free repair. Still... a little bit chapped I have to admit.

If you're handy and know how to carefully polish out some of the rough edges a Taurus is a fine firearm. I've actually had less mechanical issues with my Tauri than my Smiths!

These are the same people that buy a $1 screwdriver from Harbor Freight and complain when it breaks, but won't go buy a good one because it is too expensive.

I actually have a set of box wrenches I got from HF in 99...they look new still, and I've used them 2 days a week at least since the purchase.

The thread is asking why people don't like Taurus'. I posted nothing that isn't factual and nothing that isn't safe... with a quality firearm.

If a gun can't withstand something as simple as firing with an obstructed barrel, it's not a quality firearm plain and simple. The implication I left open for others was that Taurus' are simply not quality guns because of their cheaper construction. And being able to handle a squib load is not "stupid". It's a nice safety feature to have in case of... SQUIBS! And for those of us who are rough on our guns there's more than one way a barrel can become obstructed. My guns are tools, not display pieces. They get used and sometimes dirty.

If a gun can't withstand something as simple as firing with an obstructed barrel, it's not a quality firearm plain and simple.

not even close to true.

...being able to handle a squib load is not "stupid". It's a nice safety feature to have...

Being able to withstand a sqib is not a safety feature. It's a miracle.

Thank you for throwing your ignorance into the mix. From my brief search there are at least TWO manufacturers now who specifically design and test their barrels to withstand a squib. It's not a miracle, it's a design aspect that's taken into consideration. Taurus, being cheap, in both design and manufacturing will not withstand a squib making it nothing less than a subpar firearm when compared to what's readily available.

I have a Taurus PT111 Millenium Pro that has been flawless and Hartford 1892 Lever action rifle for Cowboy Action (made by a division of Taurus) that works fine. I guess research and paying attention to the model you buy is important as a lot of gunmakers have problem guns....Spad

Ok, I own a taurus 650 revolver, .357, 5shot 2in bbl great back up gun, clean and dry fired the revolver for 3 days to get the revolver ready for use, the triger pull was garbage, now I can actually use it without having to cock the hammer back, talked to a guy I know and said all taurus revolvers afre like that.

My dad owns a 24/7 melenium... I can pop the rear spring retainer out with my fingers, and confuse him for a while it won't fire until its repaired, I've heard stories(HEARD not actually met anyone its happened to) that they can pop out on a firing line and never be seen again. Again could be taurus hate, but who knows.

Id but my taurus revolver again, but I may have looked at a light weight model in .38sp... the .357 mag suck with the short grips, and my giant meat mitten hands

My thoughts? The 3 Taurus revolvers I bought new in the 1980s were all cr@p and repeatedly broke parts such as the firing pin and cylinder stop

Sold them and will never own another. S & W, Ruger, Colt, Dan Wesson for me

Hmmm. I've had a few Taurus pistols and liked them. However, I did buy a brand new Taurus TRACKER .357 revolver just recently. Went out shooting, and it jammed up and wouldnt fire... who makes a jamming REVOLVER?!? was my initial irritated thought. Went online, and after visiting a few blogsites discussing this model, apparently it is common. Good news about Taurus is the lifetime warrenty... lifetime of the actual gun, not the owner... no matter how many times resold or transferred around they will always repair them. So I'm shipping it off to Miami for free repair. Still... a little bit chapped I have to admit.

As I stood out there in the field with a broken cylinder stop and the gun locked up beyond field repair I wondered what it would be like if that happened when some homey with a Glock was standing toe to toe with me and I was using that p@$ to defend myself or my family

Suddenly the lifetime warranty did not mean much

How about this for an arguement: ............. (just for arguement's sake mind you, and to state my position)
I absolutely DETEST the Berreta 92F. I have used it as my secondary weapon for over 15 years in combat and in peace time deployments. I cannot tell you the number of missions that I have left my M-9 at the firebase simply because I cannot understand the concept of carrying several extra pounds of useless metal. Here is why I call it useless:
1. The standard barrel life of the Berretta M-9 (mil-spec mind you) is 15,000 rounds. I put that many rounds through my 9mm in one month at work just doing training! Let alone combat!
2. The locking block on the Beretta M-9 CONSTANTLY breaks. Berratta's website and other websites as well will tell you that the life expectancy is 22,000 rounds for the locking block. I can tell you from experience that it is ALOT less. closer to about 15,000 rounds, give or take 1,000 here or there. I have any where from 6 to 15 spare locking blocks at any given time in my repair kit at work. During a typical training week, we go through 1-3 locking blocks for 12 guys.
3. The frikkin' SLIDE snaps in half! During a typical training month, we go through 1-3 slides as well for 12 guys. But, Berretta has designed a fix for that. They made the Brigadier Slide to compensate for this. So why, tell me, do you need to design a fix for a product that is supposed to be a high-quality weapon and the main sidearm for the primier fighting force in the world?
With all this bashing on Beretta I now turn the conversation to the Taurus:
1. If you are a weapons manufacturing company that sells your product world wide, why not promote your own design and product? Why promote your copy of someone else's design and product when yours might not be all that much of an improvement IF any improvement at all? And why would you choose a POS like the Beretta 92 9mm to copy? And while your at it, why would you use sub-standard materials and QC as has already been discussed in this thread?
So to sum it all up: IF you are going to compare the Taurus to a POS like the Beretta 92 thats fine. Just realize what you're compairing.
I understand that most citizens will never need to put their handgun through the riggors that I have put my work gun through however, if I am going to spend my hard earned money payed for with sweat, blood and tears all shed on foreign soil, then I want something that performs flawlessly and reliably.

I hate the 92 design as well.. Beretta has made some nice pistols but it ain't one of them and the Taurus copy is even worse

You know, it just came to me.. can any of you tell me which US police agency issues Taurus? Just curious..

As I stood out there in the field with a broken cylinder stop and the gun locked up beyond field repair I wondered what it would be like if that happened when some homey with a Glock was standing toe to toe with me and I was using that p@$ to defend myself or my family

Suddenly the lifetime warranty did not mean much
This about sums up where I stand on Taurus. They may make great range toys. If it breaks, okay. It's inconvenient, but not life or death. But for a gun you are going to use to defend youself or your family? Not me. There are too many better alternatives out there. Police trade-in Glocks and S&W revolvers. New Rugers. A budget gun is fine for a toy, but do not compromise with a defensive firearm. I don't much care for Kimber, butt they had a very good slogan a few years ago. Carry a Kimber, compromise somewhere else.
I would also think that if they were that good, some agency/department somewhere would be issuing them...

Put me in the pro Taurus camp. I carry a PT740 slim and I think it's a great and reliable weapon. She eats all the ammo I have tried through it (HP, frang, fmj etc). My only complaint is the recoil, but 40 s&w in gun that light and small will be snappy to say the least. Accuracy is in the eye of the beholder with this gun. I want to able to hit center mass at self defense ranges and I am more than capable of that. Just dont ask me to hit bullseyes out at 30 yards becuase I will fail...

This about sums up where I stand on Taurus. They may make great range toys. If it breaks, okay. It's inconvenient, but not life or death. But for a gun you are going to use to defend youself or your family? Not me. There are too many better alternatives out there. Police trade-in Glocks and S&W revolvers. New Rugers. A budget gun is fine for a toy, but do not compromise with a defensive firearm. I don't much care for Kimber, butt they had a very good slogan a few years ago. Carry a Kimber, compromise somewhere else.
I would also think that if they were that good, some agency/department somewhere would be issuing them...

What is ironic is they were just shooters/range guns.. my gal has always packed S & W and I got the Taurus as shooters, (2) 38s and (1) 357..mainly for her, although I did sometimes pack a S&W 357 once in a while.. even back then the shipping costs to keep sending them in was too high for me, today it would quickly be a very big sum

But it came to me that one day if they were all I had to loan out I might give one to a needy friend and get them into trouble, so out the door they went

The price of the firearm or the location it is made really should not be the factor if a gun works or not it is the quality that counts. Take a look at the Bersa .380 it a well made inexpensive firearm that we never have problems with at the store I work at and we have sold hundreds.

Also look at the Hi Point they get bashed a lot yet the national wholesalers we deal with say they are the least returned product in their inventory. They are cheap and they seem to work.

So in my earlier post I was not bashing the product I was stating facts we currently send more Taurus products back in a month than we do all other products combined all year long. We sent 8 back in January and these are problems we found in the store before we put them out to sell. This is why the store I work at is phasing out the produce line for the most part and will do special orders only on most Items.

But I also said in my last post their problems seem to go into cycles we would go for a couple years with little to no problems then like I said in the last 18 months it seems they have no quality control.

I understand that some people will bash products for no reason but I do not believe in doing that.

If you have one that works and I have plenty of friends that do then keep it, as it will probably work for life.

But after seeing the problems we see at the store I do not trust them with my life. It is not bashing it is my opinion.

To compare I have worked in the store since 2000 and we have never sent back a Springfield XD or XDM. As of yet we have never sent back any S&W MP pistols but they are only a few years old. We did send back 2 Glocks that were damaged in our shipping department or I should say the boxes where. It looked like a fork lift hit and crushed the boxes so we sent the guns in for a safety check and even though they did not do the damage they checked them out and replaced the boxes for free.

I am not saying these makers do not have problems but in comparison they are far and few between.

Thank you for throwing your ignorance into the mix. From my brief search there are at least TWO manufacturers now who specifically design and test their barrels to withstand a squib. It's not a miracle, it's a design aspect that's taken into consideration. Taurus, being cheap, in both design and manufacturing will not withstand a squib making it nothing less than a subpar firearm when compared to what's readily available.

Who are those two companies and where is the reference supporting such a statement.

James Ruby

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top