JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here is my experience... I have a Taurus PT 92 FS.

I have had it for years and shoot the crap out of it. I can hit 4" gongs @ 30yards with factory ammo. It has -NEVER- jammed or stove-piped. Even with that crap-tastical wolf junk.

When Barretta had its 25yr. anniversary /w the military, I even went out and did a stare and compare with a Barretta 92FS/M9. I shot them side by side. I was more accurate with the Taurus up to 15 yards, and better with the Barretta at 25. The Tarus PT92FS is a mostly direct copy of the Barretta 92FS/M9. The primary exception is the frame vs. slide saftey. The testing the military did for this was insane. They had to buck the 1911 lovers out there. I love 1911's too, but the M9 was proven in rigorous testing before its adoption.

All that said, and perhaps I got the only jewel of Taurus out there. However, I doubt it. The whole reason I got the gun, was that my dad had one and I did well with it. My dad's gun definitively hasn't had as many rounds through it, but I have never heard him mention a malfunction.

Is every other model of Taurus crap and this is the only winner for them?

What are you thoughts?

Ive had a pt 140 and it never failed, I just hated the safety and the small grip.. Other than that it was awesome. My pt1911 has never ever failed, is accurate at 35-25-15 yards. I'll never sell it, and when I get a new 1911, it'll be a taurus. Priced perfectly.
Ive came across a pt 92, only thing that stopped me from getting one was I heard they aren't compatible with the beretta mags? If they were id buy one in a heart beat. Now if taurus was junk id say it was.
Id trust my life more so with a taurus than an AR variant. :)

... hahah ... OK so apparently I found all the Taurus lovers.

I love mine and no matter what folks say I won't get rid of it. I was just curious.. because i always notice when folks mentions cheap/crappy, Taurus seems to be mentioned like they are synonymous.

Didn't mean to speak sacrilegiously :)

Never had a problem with any I own or owned. Neither has anyone I personally know.

Like anything else you do "get what you pay for". If you are a person that is trying to compare your $400 Taurus to a higher end gun costing 2x as much or more I can see how someone might not be happy. That is not a fair comparison though.

If you buy it for what it is, and pay what it is worth you will be very happy.

Taurus,I have one.Not a dang thing wrong with it.It has never failed me.You can find something wrong with any weapon out there.Some people will find fault with anything if it isn't what they like.Some even slam them if it isn't a brand name so it must be sub quality..

Never had a problem with any I own or owned. Neither has anyone I personally know.

Like anything else you do "get what you pay for". If you are a person that is trying to compare your $400 Taurus to a higher end gun costing 2x as much or more I can see how someone might not be happy. That is not a fair comparison though.

I have to agree with this. I have an older Taurus Model 66 357 4" revolver and it is a great shooter, never had a problem with it at all. I bought it used and did a thorough inspection before I bought. I went out and researched revolvers and came to my own conclusions. It was worth the asking price on the tag, so I payed the money and have not been disappointed.

These are the same people that buy a $1 screwdriver from Harbor Freight and complain when it breaks, but won't go buy a good one because it is too expensive. Know what you are buying and you will never be disappointed. I have bought cheap tools from Harbor Freight before, but I don't bubblegum when they break, I just keep my expectations low, and sometimes, you are surprised by a good performer!

That's a general rule, but not always true.

Ill put my Taurus up against any semi-auto of same caliber. I've personally shot glocks, Sig's S&W MPs, XDm's, Browning Hi powers against my PT92. I admit I'm biased, but I have out shot all of those with my Taurus. I'm not saying that the PT92 is the best ever that per se, but it works very well for me regardless of the cost.

That's a general rule, but not always true.

Ill put my Taurus up against any semi-auto of same caliber. I've personally shot glocks, Sig's S&W MPs, XDm's, Browning Hi powers against my PT92. I admit I'm biased, but I have out shot all of those with my Taurus. I'm not saying that the PT92 is the best ever that per se, but it works very well for me regardless of the cost.

Correct that is why I put it in quotes. More of a statement of buying a $400 Taurus revolver then saying it sucks because the fit and finish is not as nice as a $800 + Smith...............

I can give you some historical perspective on this. Back when I worked for BE Hodgon Inc in the late '70's and early '80's, we sold a few Taurus revolvers. The biggest problem is that the manufacturing processes in Brazil were primitive by comparison to US Standards. Taurus revolvers were a crap shoot. You might get a good one, or you might get a POS. The fit and finish was very rough compared to S&W and Ruger. I would say at that time they were a cut above Rossi revolvers, but not by much. Unfortunately that reputation stayed with them.

In the late 80's and early '90's, Taurus made major investments in their manufacturing and engineering processes. Using better quality materials and going to CNC machinery. The quality of their guns improved dramatically, but they still has quality control issues. Most of thier guns were of very good quality, but they would let some out now and then that never should have made it out of the factory. Even that situation seems to have improved the last few years although this info is purely anecdotal from what I have heard from others.

It just proves the point that it takes a long time to outlive a bad rep.

I have never understood all the Taurus hate either. Although I do have limited experience with them. First one I had some 20 years or more ago was a 4" stainless .357. Never a single anything close to a failure. I currently have a 9mm 24/7 pro ds v1, and love it. Eats anything, and is as accurate as I am. Had to buy the wife an FNP just to get it away from her. She still secretly likes the Taurus better but since the FN was an xmas gift she accepted that the Taurus is mine again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top