JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can see a potential problem even if you get permission to shoot on his property. You said you want to shoot from the asphalt, can this driveway be considered a road, or street? It borders your property and some of the old plats had some future roads drawn into them figuring in 20-30 years they would put up pavement there. My mom's property is like that, it was on the county map from the late 60's. We were shooting across a gravel drive between 2 parcels of her property and got a stiff warning from the sheriffs dept because of a nosy neighbor. Just my 2cents

I can see a potential problem even if you get permission to shoot on his property. You said you want to shoot from the asphalt, can this driveway be considered a road, or street? It borders your property and some of the old plats had some future roads drawn into them figuring in 20-30 years they would put up pavement there. My mom's property is like that, it was on the county map from the late 60's. We were shooting across a gravel drive between 2 parcels of her property and got a stiff warning from the sheriffs dept because of a nosy neighbor. Just my 2cents

Those rules only apply on PUBLIC property. You can shoot anywhere you choose on PRIVATE property.

It is like stop signs in the mall parking lot. You can refuse to stop at every single one and NO cop can ticket you since it is private property.

You can shoot anywhere you choose on PRIVATE property.

Shoot safely. All things have to be taken in for consideration, for containment, for no impacts on neighboring properties. It has to be reasonable and safe.

Any time you start doing something that could have a huge impact on your neighbors property like shooting, both of you have accepted a huge liability. Doing it with out a properly constructed shooting range at a minimum, and with out suitable training leaves you both open.

On that other post about shooting over a gravel road some one made, private roads between properties could be a right of way violation. Shooting across any road anywhere is just not a real good idea IMO.

I like my own private range, it is only used by family and close friends.

I never said shoot unsafely. I said it what is legal on private land is different then on public.

No matter where you shoot, private, public, established range or out in the woods you are responsible for where you bullets go.

What agency certified your "properly constructed range"? Where are the regulations that list what a "properly constructed range" is? What is suitable training? Don't tell me it is the DEA guy that shot himself.

You post sounds quite high and mighty. Please don't look down too hard on those of use that don't agree with your high standards. In decades of shooting I have probably shoot at "ranges" about a dozen time and I am not a fan of them.

You sound a lot like someone that really believes in government control.

Light off some tracer rounds into an area with no backstop at night to see where they really go?

Probably take a pass on that idea myself anyway.

I never said shoot unsafely with no backstop. So I'd also recommend you "take a pass on that idea."

The point was this: until you've actually seen ricocheting bullets in flight, it's impossible to imagine accurately where they end up.

That's all.

I never said shoot unsafely. I said it what is legal on private land is different then on public.

No matter where you shoot, private, public, established range or out in the woods you are responsible for where you bullets go.

What agency certified your "properly constructed range"? Where are the regulations that list what a "properly constructed range" is? What is suitable training? Don't tell me it is the DEA guy that shot himself.

You post sounds quite high and mighty. Please don't look down too hard on those of use that don't agree with your high standards. In decades of shooting I have probably shoot at "ranges" about a dozen time and I am not a fan of them.

You sound a lot like someone that really believes in government control.

Please dude you read way too much between the lines. Not looking down on anybody at all. Just my opinions. I just like to see shooting done safe. My range is a simple 10 foot high earthen berm with some posts and some basic lumber/ log frames. My point is not about " properly constructed ". Something that retains your fire in a reasonable area. Back stop. Common sense defines properly constructed.

Suitable training means just that. There are people that know what correct range behavior and gun handling is. There are a lot who do not. I am just raising these catutions you for your own liability. Feel free to completely ignore them. I have a fairly high level of training with firearms and 3 of my boys are Marine Corps combat veterans. You kind of get used to a way of shooting on ranges, and everything else feels strange.

Lets just look at a play on words here. Your quote was :" You can shoot anywhere you choose on PRIVATE property", taken literally probably would not work out. Taken with reasonable expectations it is completely correct.

Properly constructed range. You took that to mean some engineered blueprint construction project. I take it to mean suitable structure and or topography of what ever kind to safely contain the fire use.

And then your voice your opinion of me being high and mighty, and someone who really believes in government control. All that determination from one or two posts. If I was a believer in government control, I sure as hell would not be on this website, that is for sure. And it is your judgement on me being high and might. So be it, that is your freedom of speech. I shared my life experiences for others benefit. Feel free not to read it next time, and I can have my right to disagree with you as well.

And some of my comments were aimed at what a can of worms can be opened when you start using other peoples property for what ever uses. I am thankful I have a place to shoot on my own property.

I enjoy some of these conversations, but sometimes they go sideways a bit more than they should.

Shooting on someone else's property without express permission is a good way to end up looking down the business end of a rifle/shotgun or getting to ride in the back of a cop car, depending on the owner of said property.

It seems like you're a little frustrated that you haven't gotten overwhelming sentiments of support to "just do it". I think now you're looking for one of us in an internet forum capacity to give you a legal read on what could or might happen even if you have a problem. Should you get permission from the property owner, it might be a good idea to either check with an attorney and/or local law enforcement. You list Beaverton as your location - if that' Multnomah county, there might be a different answer than in Washington county (for example).

~Mitch

Shooting on someone else's property without express permission is a good way to end up looking down the business end of a rifle/shotgun or getting to ride in the back of a cop car, depending on the owner of said property.

Exactly I am not a lawyer at all, but if you enter and shoot from the property it is clearly trespass. If you rounds impact on somebody's property, but some dirt bag attorney might be able to make a case that your rounds are in fact a trespass.

I had two guys enter my duck blinds from the neighbors property. Waded down there and asked them who said they could hunt there. They said we are hunting your neighbors field. In my blinds. We did not know. Make sure you learn to ask your landowner about property boundaries. Younger guys, gave them a friendly lecture, then let them finish their hunt. They later called, apologized again, asked if I wanted to hunt with them, or if I ate duck, asked to come back again and I let them.

No one has mentioned the issue of lead contamination. A few rounds into a hillside, no big deal right? A lot of lead into a hill, maybe that's a big deal in the future. Douglas Ridge club has spent BIG money cleaning up lead on their ranges.

Here's a possibility you may not have considered: The lead put into that hillside could end up in someone's domestic water supply in the future. For example, lots of places the well water is bad, and people dig shallow wells with an excavator and drink that.

I haven't seen the terrain, etc, but I don't shoot into the hill by my cabin for exactly that reason, even though I have a great place to do it.

So there could be lots of reasons why someone wouldn't want rounds incoming over the property line. Grandkids hiking, livestock, etc.

Building a berm is a great suggestion. Could form it up out of plywood and 2x6s and fill it with sand. I bet a couple of feet of sand would stop just about anything. Think I will try that one myself.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top