JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm thinking of heading to that vicinity tomorrow to do some plinking with my pistols and sight in my 10/22. I'm a bit concerned with the possibility of the browns camp 2.0 aspect - so if there are a bunch of goofballs out there I'll likely try my luck further down the road or maybe even just enjoy a scenic drive.

Anyone else planning something?
Got a secret back-up spot in the area you feel like sharing? :)

I might go out to the salmonberry road place today (saturday may 22nd). It's pretty clear where the two spots are... there is a smaller road that turns off from the main road, and it is important to stay off of that, in terms of finding both spots... but if you stay of the second road, just follow the directions given, and you'll find both spots. I prefer the second one, I'm not sure why. I might go out there today and shoot my .22 pistol and my Mosin Nagants. If you're around just listen for the BIG BOOM!

I went out on Saturday and really enjoyed the 10 minutes of sun that broke apart the half hour downpours. I saw a few people passing through, but they were probably smart enough to look for someplace a little more dry.
I went out again on Sunday and took my wife for her first shooting experience and it took us a while to find someplace without other people, but eventually we found a spur with a good backstop that was away from other people (she was nervous enough already).
We had a great time - helped in part by the fact that this time I brought the canopy frame *and* cover, which made things substantially drier than Saturday, when I only brought the frame.
I did observe a few incidences of careless behavior as I drove past a few groups, luckily these weren't spotted by my wife.
I'd go back again, but I think I much prefer shooting without the company of complete strangers, since I don't want to find out the hard way that some goof is careless with firearms.

Anyone planning on going out to any of the Oregon Coast Range sites off of 26 or 6 in the next few weeks? I havent shot all winter and am ready to go again

My wife and I are planning a camping trip next weekend on the 12th at the coast. Any good suggestions on places to camp and shoot would be great from the Lincoln City area up to Tillamook. Primitive camping is what we are looking for. I just got our first handgun so we will be starting at the Clack Public Safety Range this weekend but after that I would like to shoot outside until I make a decision on joining a range.

And this is why I no longer tell anyone where my outdoor shooting area is.
agree. The cover is pretty much blown in this thread though so...

seiryu, if you go take care of the place and set a good example. Last year I got back into target shooting and have a similar schedule/objective to yours and use the Salmonberry locations. I've know about, and use the Salmonberry spots there are more if you drive around but its not that easy actually to find a spot with a good backdrop. Last year at one of the usual spots I found shooters had blasted away at a live tree to the point where it was going to fall. Ironically, it will fall in the direction of the blast..... (not just illegal, say darwin award). I also saw a target posted high up on a tree behind it was no backstop, who knows where the bullets will land so much for Coopers 4 rules.

My last visit about a month ago, someone was cleaning up that spot with the tree, I think they were clearing (removing) the tree and the other spot I used was cleaned up (minus some casings and a scattering of florescent orange clay pigeons) ...it looked much better.

Here is a link to target shooting laws in the Tillamook State forest lands: http://www.oregon.gov/odf/tillamookstateforest/docs/TargetShooting_OARs.pdf what was interesting for me to learn about target shooting on public lands is that its illegal to target shoot anything other than commercial or paper targets. Its also illegal to target shoot at night, I'm kinda bummed about that as I think it would be good tactical self defense training done safely.

Here is a link to the Tillamook St. Forest webpage dedicated to the Browns Camp shooting location. Its worth bookmarking since it shows if its open or not. I dont go here but it is an option.... Its been closed at times over the years so this page would be where I would check to see if its open if I decided to go: Oregon Department of Forestry - Tillamook State Forest Target Shooting

Cheers

what was interesting for me to learn about target shooting on public lands is that its illegal to target shoot anything other than commercial or paper targets.
This was reiterated to me very recently by a ranger who stopped by while I was shooting my .22 just outside of Browns Camp area. From his angle on the main fire road, he probably couldn't see what I was shooting at, so he came closer to check on things. No problem since I was using paper targets mounted on a trapbox I made for airgun use at home. It was low enough on a berm so that in the unlikely event that anything exited the box, it'd just hit the dirt. He echoed the problem of shooters putting targets up in trees, which could create a safety issue for quad users on nearby trails past the trees. Was very friendly about it.

I keep trashbags in my car to clean up before and afterward, but those orange clay pigeon pieces left by others are a PITA. There's a spot off of Storey Burn Rd that's a complete mess.

Why are the clays such a pita? Yes they are bright orange but they are biodegradeable and will dissapear in time. I would rather see people shooting at those than old tvs and other garbage.

Because they are bright, they are an eyesore IMO. They will biodegrade over time, but they never seem to do so by the time I get there. :s0114: Agreed that they're better than TVs, but they're still man-made material that is packed in but not out (now considered garbage). Having been to a spot where we've cleaned them up, I can say it's a nicer shooting experience overall.

Why are the clays such a pita? Yes they are bright orange but they are biodegradeable and will dissapear in time. I would rather see people shooting at those than old tvs and other garbage.
they are a PITA to pick up and clean up when left behind after blasting. Not all of them are biodegradable, and they are an eyesore of garbage to forest visitors that leave a negative impression on the other forest users that all target shooters litter.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top