JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Everyone!

I just purchased my first handgun (Ruger P95 9mm) and I was very excited to see such an active community up here in the northwest. It's nice to see that this forum is so active and helpful :). I've been doing some research trying to find an area to do some shooting but I'm having a pretty difficult time.

I'm basically looking for a place to go out and shoot maybe 30-60 rounds every 3-4 months, just to keep a feel for my gun. While this is the first gun that I've owned, I do know how to use them. I'd sign up for a gun club or use an indoor range but that seems expensive for how little shooting I'm planning on doing. I've read about Browns Camp but after some of the stories I've read (and heard from friends) I'd really like to avoid that place if at all possible.

Now I've read that it's legal to shoot on BLM owned land but I haven't been able to find a good map of specific locations that shooting is allowed or disallowed. I've tried contacting the BLM and the department of forestry but I haven't heard anything back yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some short range shooting on BLM land in the Washington county\Tillamook county areas that are safe but fairly low traffic? If not, does anyone have a link to a map that may be helpful in finding a spot to shoot?

Thanks for any help you all can provide :D

Hi...

Your in luck... I found out from another poster, (don't have a link to the thread) but it's simple. Go west on 26 from Beaverton/Hillsboro, past Manning, and Timber. A few miles west of the Timber cut off, watch for the "View Point" sign" on the right, or north side (blue field, white lettering) About a quarter mile past the view point, watch for Salmonberry Rd. on the left or south side. Take the left at Salmonberry, (gravel logging road), and about a half a mile up on the left, you will see the first legal site, then about another quarter mile on the right, you will see the second legal site. If you go during the week, you will notice a log truck or two going past. Don't worry, they are fine with what we are doing there and see it all the time. Both spots are nice, and there is plenty of room to park right where you are shooting. The area has been cleaned up so bring your own targets and target stand, but as usual, pack your stuff out with you. It's a great place, so let's not screw it up and get it closed. Also the first spot you come to is long and safe enough to site in rifles, close to one hundred yards. Enjoy the spots and the solitude.

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

Welcome to the forum. here is a capture from google earth. note the coords in the lower left. hope it helps.
James

pit.JPG

There is also another one right along Hwy 26 in that area. You park on the side of the road (at a gated short side road) and walk in about 100 yards to a landing area that overlooks a huge gully. Not really good for any rifle work, but excellent for launching clay pigeons.

Hi Guys,

First off, thanks for the responses they are much appreciated!

Michaelhacker and Decidion, would it be possible for either of you to give me a google map\google earth location for those spots? If not thats no problem I'll try and find it myself but I'm not super familiar with that area and I don't want to end up shooting in someone's back yard :)

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

First off, thanks for the responses they are much appreciated!

Michaelhacker and Decidion, would it be possible for either of you to give me a google map\google earth location for those spots? If not thats no problem I'll try and find it myself but I'm not super familiar with that area and I don't want to end up shooting in someone's back yard :)

Thanks!

I am pretty sure it is located at: 45.701568, -123.222531

But it is tough to tell from that satellite image in Google. Since this is on the way to the other place (if you are coming from the Portland area), you could swing by and verify this is indeed the spot I am talking about. Short driveway to a gate, then walk in about 100 yards to a flat area overlooking a huge gulley :)

If its the right place, you will see tons of shotgun shells and other ammo casings laying around from people who don't pick up after themselves.

Hi...

Your in luck... I found out from another poster, (don't have a link to the thread) but it's simple. Go west on 26 from Beaverton/Hillsboro, past Manning, and Timber. A few miles west of the Timber cut off, watch for the "View Point" sign" on the right, or north side (blue field, white lettering) About a quarter mile past the view point, watch for Salmonberry Rd. on the left or south side. Take the left at Salmonberry, (gravel logging road), and about a half a mile up on the left, you will see the first legal site, then about another quarter mile on the right, you will see the second legal site. If you go during the week, you will notice a log truck or two going past. Don't worry, they are fine with what we are doing there and see it all the time. Both spots are nice, and there is plenty of room to park right where you are shooting. The area has been cleaned up so bring your own targets and target stand, but as usual, pack your stuff out with you. It's a great place, so let's not screw it up and get it closed. Also the first spot you come to is long and safe enough to site in rifles, close to one hundred yards. Enjoy the spots and the solitude.

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

This looks like a great place. How rough is the gravel road leading back there?

Thanks,
DJM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the Feedback, both places look great!

I am pretty sure it is located at: 45.701568, -123.222531.

Thanks for the coordinates. This place looks perfect actually, but I'm kind of curious about the legality of that spot. Is this BLM owned land or private property? (you mentioned a gate) I don't want to go out and have someone start shooting back at me because I'm on their land =)

Regardless, I'll probably check both spots out soon. Thanks a ton, you guys are awesome.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the Feedback, both places look great!

Thanks for the coordinates. This place looks perfect actually, but I'm kind of curious about the legality of that spot. Is this BLM owned land or private property? (you mentioned a gate) I don't want to go out and have someone start shooting back at me because I'm on their land =)

Regardless, I'll probably check both spots out soon. Thanks a ton, you guys are awesome.

I don't believe any of it is BLM owned, it is all State owned. Either Tillamook or Clatsop State forest. The gate is a Forest Service gate.

Several years ago, I used to go to Brown's Camp to shoot. After watching a couple of teenagers throw a computer monitor out on the range, squirt some lighter fluid on it, set it on fire, then start shooting it with a shotgun; that was enough for me.

Since then I've started going to an indoor range in Portland. Yeah it costs a little more to go there and shoot and I can't shoot my shotgun there, but I don't have to worry about the crap I mentioned above. But I do know who's property I'm on and that I have permission to shoot there. If you're going to a place where there is a gate up, chances are there is someone who doesn't want you going in there.

Found it on google maps, the lat & long is 45.755120, -123.418393

I am going to give it a try this weekend.

Did you go up yet? We went up yesterday, and got lost back there. We ended up shooting at the first spot you see after you turn off 26, probably 60 yards long or so. I think we must have missed the turn to the big area but after driving 5 miles or so we gave up and went back to that first spot.:( It was Ok for what we were doing though, and we were all alone, which was nice.

I didn't have a chance, but I plan on going next weekend. I already dropped the coords into my Garmin Rhino with topo maps, so it will be easy to find the spots.

I'm thinking of heading to that vicinity tomorrow to do some plinking with my pistols and sight in my 10/22. I'm a bit concerned with the possibility of the browns camp 2.0 aspect - so if there are a bunch of goofballs out there I'll likely try my luck further down the road or maybe even just enjoy a scenic drive.

Anyone else planning something?
Got a secret back-up spot in the area you feel like sharing? :)

I might be up there tomorrow, depending on the weather and how much time i spend at the gun show, if you see an old Bmw stop and say hi. Even if the pit is full of goobs there are plenty of other good spots along that road. And i haven't seen any dirt bikes or quads there yet. They always make me nervous at browns.

Old BMW.. is that where you got "rusty"?
Kidding, I swear!

I'll probably be heading up earlier, rather than later, but I'll say hi to anyone up there.
I'll be driving either a green F150 crew cab with Washington plates or a green Honda Element with Oregon vanity plates.

Anyone else planning something?
Got a secret back-up spot in the area you feel like sharing? :)

pop 45.755120, -123.418393 into google maps.

There is another gravel pit a mile and a half to the west. It's not as flat as bigger one, but it won't be as busy. There is also side ride on the way to the second pit that is good for shooting you can see on the map.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top