See What you Missed?

Discussion in 'Oregon Firearms Academy' started by OFADAN, Feb 26, 2012.

1. OFADAN

OFADAN Well-Known Member

6   0   0
    We had Defensive Handgun 2 with Low Light/Night Fire Saturday and Saturday night on Feb 25, 2012. We had 17 students, one of which is a recent member of the 160th SOAR, who just recently transfered to Ft Lewis. He is a super great true/geninue warrior which we're proud to have him train at OFA over the past couple years.

All 17 braved the hail, snow, wind (at times), more snow, more hail, three outbreaks of sun and one of the most beautiful nights of night fire in recent memory. OFA provided an excellent no-charge warm surprise dinner!

In spite of the "iffy" weather we heard or experienced NO whining, complaining, sniveling, or excuses. LOTS of learning, lots of "ah 'ha's" and lots of discovery going on. Students learned about their limitations, their strengths and several learned regardless of what the forum or Internet experts say about "this pistol or this load or this/that" when you put a piece of hardware through simulated self-defense it functions a lot differently then when plinking at a rock pit or target shooting range.

Also we celebrated Lil' Joe's 10th anniversary as part of the OFA Inner Circle of Trust. We 'luv ya Joe!

Each Student got two (2) opportunties to go through the Adjudicator - the village in the background Students had to defend themselves in a scenaro based situation against VCA Actors. This scenaro is VERY survivable and easy to resolve but since this is the first time for all but one student only two out of 17 surviving - this is the average on a person's first time through. As students continue to train at OFA they're survivablity increases until approximately 95% survive.

Their second time was in a live fire simulation with approximately 50% solving the situation without incurring simulated criminal and/or civil liablity - Reality sucks and until students realize what we're doing is dangerous and with inherit risks which CAN be mitigated or eliminated they have to learn from "trial by fire or snow!" If you think you can do any better...come on out to a DH2 and give it a try!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Even dedicated women students braved the elements! :thumbup:

[​IMG]
    Moving, Shooting and Communicating with your partners - with the wobbler threats going back 'n forth!
  2. oasis618

oasis618 Active Member

3   0   0
    That looks like a hoot...
  3. Standing Gard

Standing Gard New Member

0   0   0
    I took DH2 back in August of last year and this was like taking an entirely different class. Not only did Rick, Dan & Co. keep it fresh by introducing new concepts (new to me at least), but the weather and resulting gear made the class feel like DH2 v2.

If you have aready gone through DH1, 2 & 3, I would recommend trying it again at a different time of year.

Please tell Mrs. Rick (again) thank you so much for the awesome surprise dinner. That's the kind of stuff that makes OFA special!

Attached Files:

4. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Active Member

32   0   0
    Well being one of the 17, also one to be critically injured/killed, or charged criminally/civilly in the adjudicator it was a very good class and learning experience.

Add to it adverse conditions (cold, rain, snow, hail) and wet/cold feet, wet clothes, cold/numb hands and it’s another layer of difficulty. Then add in moving targets, movement, communicating, and darkness for the win.

It was a very good class, no complaints (except from my wife for me being gone for 15 hours)

Having taken Basic, DH1 (twice) and now this one, I am already looking forward to heading back down for additionally training with the folks at OFA.

Chris

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[video=vimeo;37562000]http://vimeo.com/37562000[/video]
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  5. bruzer

bruzer Active Member

15   0   0
    Excellent.
    Mike
  6. CZ Fan

CZ Fan Member