JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have a Savage 10 FCP HS Precision in 308 on order. Very excited, but I have no idea what optic to put on it. I do most of my shooting at Clark Rifle and their longest range is 300 yards, however I plan to do this On Target Solutions intro to long range shooting class out in Madras this summer, and it will involve shooting up to 1000 yards. I also gather that if I join Douglas Ridge I can shoot 1000 yards down there. I'd also like to add that this rifle will be for bench/target only. Don't plan on lugging it through the woods chasing fuzzy critters.

My initial thoughts were along the lines of the Leupold VX-2 or VX-3 in 6-18 or 6.5-20, respectively. I had a few people tell me that to properly reach out to 1000 yards, I'd need to step up to a Mark 4. My question boils down to... Do I need to spend $1200+ for a Mark 4, or can I get away with $550 for the VX-2?

Also, note that I am not necessarily committed to Leupold. I am open to other manufacturers, but my primary question is will I be okay with something in the ~$600 price range, or do I really just need to suck it up and shell out the extra $$$.

Thanks.

check out the scopes review section of snipercentral.com

most of those scopes are geared towards using the reticle for range estimation, but they run the gamut of prices and have a variety of magnifications. It's a good starting primer. You will probably also need an angled scope base to get the full benefit of many scopes.

IF you want to shoot long range, and you want to go to an OTS class you will probably want a few things with the scope. First would be good target or tactical turrets that you can reset the zero, a Mil-dot or some sort of ranging reticle (not necessary but would be a good thing to have for one of doug's classes), possibly a 20MOA rail so that you can dial in those long shots instead of having to hold over because you ran out of elevation. Side adjust parallax is very handy, but at least having the ability to adjust your parallax is a good thing. The leupolds are nice, they are made in Beaverton and have a good warranty. If you want bang for your buck, I would look at a bushnell 4200 or 6200 or a Vortex viper PST. I kind of like having the ability to dial a scope in to 20x or so if the need is there or if I just plain want to, so that might be something to think about. I have 6-20x vortex viper (not one of their PST scopes) on my wife's "hunting" rifle and I like it a lot. They also have a no bs lifetime warranty too and are decent folks to deal with. They present a good value, but are somewhat unknown so it can be a bit of a gamble. But I would buy another one with out thinking twice

I shoot f class with a bushnell 6500. I paid $399 for it. I have shot out to 1100 yards shooting milk jugs. You don't NEED a $1000 scope. Heck, my first year of f class I used a $90 Tasco target scope and did pretty well. Check out Nikons, Bushnells. Extremely good glass for the money. My Nikon monarch is more clear than my vari x 4.

I have the same gun and have a Nightforce 3.5x15x50 NSX NP-R2 Warne rings and 20 moa base.
Also check out the sharp shooter supply 9rd mag.. A little spendy but worth it.
The OTSNW guys are really helpful, I would be going also but no reliable
wheels at this time..

View attachment 190500

I used a basic 6-24X50 Burris Fulfield II at Clark Rifles and it worked great at the 300 Yard range but the Nightforce I bought worked much better. ;)

If you are really going to shoot at Douglas Ridge you will need to make sure you have enough elevation in your scope. You will probably need to get a 20MOA base to add the needed elevation. You should also make sure that the scope has lots of elevation. The elevation can vary greatly among scopes.

If you are serious about distance shooting then get the 20moa base first otherwise you will have to either mount your scope too high with your old rings or buy new rings to compensate for the added height of the base. (I have lots of extra rings now - doh!)

I use EGW bases on my Savages and have no complaints.

The Vortex Viper PST line has lots of cool features and a good price but you will most likely need to wait if you want one. I'm on a waiting list for a FFP PST at the moment. I can't comment on it's quality.

Everyone else above has good advice. I think Bushnell, Leupold, Vortex, and Weaver all have some good scopes in the 500-1000 range. The "great scopes" all seem to cost at least a few hundred more.

I have the 12-42x56 Nightforce and use it for non-tactical shooting. I can see my bullet holes on white poster paper at 500 yards on a good day. At 300 yards I can see them easily. But at maximum magnification it is hard to stay on target with the 300WM. Once you get out beyond 600 yards you either shoot blind, buy a big *** spotting scope, get a wireless camera, get a friend to sit in the pits, or shoot steel (they have a gong at Douglas Ridge).

Douglas Ridge only allows long distance shooting on Thursdays because they have to shut down the whole range. Generally, it alternates between 300-600 and 600-1000 in the mornings and afternoons alternating from week to week.

I hope this helps.

Here is 3 at 100 if I remember correctly
With my S10fcphs
Picture038.jpg
Forgot I had this pic

I've also got a Nightforce. Nice scopes, but one of the more inexpensive scopes that I haven't heard mentioned is Millet scopes. Made by bushnell now. High quality for the money. I have two of their tactical models. I'm very impressed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top