Sauvie Island Fee Pheasant Hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by james83, Sep 15, 2011.

1. james83

james83 I'am feeling fat and sassy

95   0   0
    Hi, Everyone just wondering if anyone can help me out with some infomation or tips about the eastside unit on sauvie island.

This will be my first time hunting in Oregon, Im mainly gonna be waterfowl hunting this season. I used to hunt duck and goose alot back in the U.K and I would sometimes rough shoot for pheasant and snipe.

Anyway while purchasing my Oregon hunting license ect, I also decided to buy a fee pheasant tag for sauvie island.

I took a trip out to the north unit on sauvie island a couple of weeks ago looking for rabbits, But i have never been onto the eastside unit where the Fee pheasant hunt is allowed.

Im heading out there this weekend hoping to fill my tags, So im just asking if anyone here on the forum has been out onto the eastside unit or participated in hunting pheasant on sauvie island?

Any infomation about the place, what to expect, what the terrain is like, basically any hints or tips about the place would be appreciated

Thanks -James83
  2. crabman21

crabman21 Member

16   0   0
    I have hunted the eastside for pheasant for many years. the hunting is hard without a dog. the birds hold very tight and without a dog you have to step on them to get them to flush.
  3. james83

95   0   0
    Thanks crabman21 that gives me a better idea of what to expect, Sadly for me i wont have a dog this season i'll be doing all the flushing and retrieving by hand
    so i guess i'll just pray i get lucky.
  4. sprocket3

sprocket3 Member

5   0   0
    Did you have any luck?
  5. james83

95   0   0
    Sadly no luck, Got plenty of exercise though, Crabman21 wasnt kidding about almost having to step on them to get them to flush.
    I only saw three pheasants all day, Two ran into very deep cover and would not budge and the third flushed about 120yrds in front of me
    So it was not even worth wasting a shot.

Everyone i talked too that day seemed to be having problems even with dogs getting the birds out of deep cover. I dont think the rain helped either.

From looking at the daily totals posted at the check station it was obvious that most of the birds were shot on the opening two days.

Think im gonna head out there this weekend for the last day of the hunt period, maybe with a little luck a suicidal pheasant might just fly into the muzzle of my gun!
  6. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Well-Known Member

14   0   0
    Glad to see you post this thread. I too have been looking for information on pheasant hunting Sauvie's Island or anywhere around the NW corner of the state. I live in Vernonia and if any experienced pheasant hunters want a guy who doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to pheasant hunting but is good with a shot gun (won't pull a Dick Cheney) and can help with gas , let me know.