JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
to Santa Clara Square (Turn at Sharri's Restaurant) go to Oak Grove Guns.

It is Family Owned, Family Run, and they stay real busy helping the customer!

They are Patriots and good people.... I am no relationship to them, except multiple return customer!

If I were to find fault with them at all, it is their new gunsmith: he is busy enough to have (NEEDS) a helper! and so it seemed slow, but the work was First rate, Top Notch and economical, well worth the wait...

philip, in the boondocks... Oak Grove Gun Shop is now my goto place in the area: I used to travel to Philomoth, for good customer support!

Well that is one gun store that will never see me step-in again. The guy was rude from the get-go, annoyed that the gun I was interested in was in the back, didn't want to tell me which model it was and then when I asked the price he quoted $300 over market value ($100 over MSRP). He really seemed annoyed when I asked him if he had quoted me the right price. I'm all for supporting my local dealer, but that attitude, arrogance & flat out price gouging is totally unacceptable.

You got the S&M common experience;)

I find S&M guns to be a good place to window shop guns but buy them elsewhere. I find Marv a hoot to get wound up by trying to low ball gun prices, it's like you're trying to take food from a starving babys mouth. in fact his nick name is starvin marvin. I was just there yesterday because they have powder and primers for my 338. 25 bucks a pound for re 19 and 5 bucks/100 for CCI #215 LRM primers. While I was there I bought a 100 ct box of Hornady 225gr FTX bullets for my 45 colt, I think it was mispriced because it was 30.00 and the msrp is about 45.00

I went in there looking for H110 and the staff was talking about Oprah Winfrey one of the staff member called her a fat N-BOMB! RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. Now I am not African American, but to use N-BOMB in front of customer was so unprofessional. They have lost my business for good. They are over priced, the store is dirty and most of the staff are unprofessional. I highly advise that you steer clear of S-M Gun shop. We honest gun owners do not need to be link to hate or one step away from the KKK.

I've never been to S&M, but my brother and a friend have been in numerous times.
They both have said that as long as you can deal with the one particular employee who is an utter ***, the place is loaded with guns and supplies.

Went in there to look at a Glock, and the guy behind the counter told me, I don't know if I can sell a gun to a Jap, you might go pull some Pearl Harbor crap after you leave. He then laughed and claimed he was joking, but I wanted to pull him over the counter and slap him. This wasn't the first time. I bought a gun from them about four years ago, and when I put my place of birth on the b/g check form, he yelled at the other guys in the store, "this guys a Jap!" I swore never to go in there again, but I heard they got better, I WAS WRONG!

Went in there to look at a Glock, and the guy behind the counter told me, I don't know if I can sell a gun to a Jap, you might go pull some Pearl Harbor crap after you leave. He then laughed and claimed he was joking, but I wanted to pull him over the counter and slap him. This wasn't the first time. I bought a gun from them about four years ago, and when I put my place of birth on the b/g check form, he yelled at the other guys in the store, "this guys a Jap!" I swore never to go in there again, but I heard they got better, I WAS WRONG!

Man, that would really piss me off.
Worth reporting them, may make FFLs look bad, but at the same time a big push for private sales. If those are the A-holes that you HAVE to go through to purchase a firearm when private sales are illegal then where else does a person go?!

If I was there and heard that I would have chewed them out for being pricks.

I'm sorry that happened to you. They suck.
I put a deposit on an overpriced rifle on my credit card then decided to buy elsewhere so was given a cheque for the amount of the deposit. The guy then told me if i cancelled the credit card tranaction and deposited the refund check he would "kill me" in a very serious tone. I'm not sure if that threat broke any laws, but it insured that i will NEVER do business there again and will tell everyone I can to do the same.
Go to Oak Grove Guns or Ace Buyers pawnshop on highway 99: only had good experiences at those two places.

Yeah, Oak Grove is my go to place for everything now. They make me feel like one of the guys when I pop in, which leads to me spending way too much money there. They know their stuff and will give advice and answer stupid questions without making you feel ashamed for asking. I recommend them to everyone that I know.

Oak Grove doesn't even consider a question as "stupid" IF one of them does not know the correct answer (Read: they do not create ~correct answers~ they get onto the Internet, right in front of you, and they learn what is what. In the Weapons Industry it is almost impossible to keep all the facts and figures in the brain!!!

Example for me I have a first model Kel-Tec P-32, it is customized with nice sights, and is very accurate.... They had a used second generation P-32, I was interested, but only if my five magazines were compatable, I could not remember, it had been quite awhile since I had read up on the second generation... And guess what, they were not sure either. I heard Dave say, just a second... Then: "Yes, they are, I had to make sure"...

That is proper business, and tells me he wants to help, Make Sure it is ~correct~ Not just a guess....

I have gone all the way to Philomoth to Not buy from S&M now, I just stop by and see Dave & family.....

philip

Hmmmm...

I can't speak for what the shop is like now or recently.

Interesting opinions. If half the bad stuff is true I wouldn't go there.

I am surprised he is still around - it's been 30+ years since I first went in there - almost as long since I was last there, and Marv wasn't a spring chicken back then.

I went into see Marv about once every other week on my way home from classes when I was going to college there back in the early 80s.

Yeah, Marv was opinionated - maybe he has gotten worse (sounds like his employees surely have) - but back then he seemed friendly enough and never did me wrong. Not that I sent a lot of business his way (picked up a DW .44 Mag and a few other odds and ends), I was a starving college student back then.

Back then there wasn't much else in town in the way of gun shops in the area and his shop was mostly a little hole in the wall. Bi-mart down the road, and I think maybe one other shop in town, maybe not (did Andersons have a store in town? I forget).

Mostly I just went in there to BS and since he didn't have a lot of customers he didn't seem to mind.

Yeah..... Marv is a total DIK!! A couple of years ago I was looking for a short barrel .44 mag. I had seen the Ruger Alaskan at cabelas, they had a new one and one in the gun library. But I wasn't sure what I wanted so I stopped in to see what S&M had. He butted into a conversation I was having with another employee who was helping me after asking about 2-3inch .44mags and says "S&W doesn't make a short .44mag". I told him I didn't say anything about S&W and that set him off into a rant about how I should get a Smith......whatever. I said I was interested in the Alaskan and he says "good luck finding one of those". well guess what marv, cabelas has 2 of em right now I held one 30 minutes ago. Then he says well they're a huge chain..... bla bla bla!

I told him its not my fault they don't have one and I went to cabelas and picked one up!! Screw Marv.....don't give them your money......EVER!

Usually when I hear stories like this I'm skeptical. But I believe every word. I have first hand knowledge they do the very same thing to women. I don't understand those guys, and don't understand why they are even still in business.

I've posted my thoughts on S&M on this forum a couple of times in the past, but here is a short summary.

Since S&M is almost literally down the street from my house, I sent the wife in there when I was in AFG to ask about AR's. Specifically, Bravo Company. They belittled her and said since they'd never heard of BCM they aren't worth having. Then tried to sell her on Olympic. That didn't go to far. As I already mentioned they belittled her but I already warned her if they say they haven't heard of BCM then get out of there as fast as possible. She couldn't get out of there fast enough and hadn't set foot in there since. And it's not because they don't know AR's, rather they talked down to her because she's a girl. Needless to say I haven't gone in there either.

When I came home, I went out of my way to tell Dennis and Jim at Mazama's how much I appreciated the way they treat my wife when I was in AFG and how they treat her even now that I'm home. That is what inspires loyalty. Now, whenever a trip to the gun store is in order, we literally drive by S&M on our way to Mazama's. They make her feel welcomed and valued. One of the guys, so to speak.

I have bought a lot of guns there Marv has a bad hip and can get a little out of sorts at times if you don't go in thinking your special you will get along I try to get along with everyone and have found that I fit in with Marv and Dave don't go in thinking your special cause you ain't . You will get along after a few visits once they know you , you will be family.

As the father of two half-Japanese kids, that would be enough for them to lose my business forever.
I used to frequent the business a lot, from the mid 80's until I left Eugene in 2002, and knew Marv and his employees well. Marv could be an opinionated redneck, but I liked him. Too bad that place has gone to sh!t.

I have bought a lot of guns there Marv has a bad hip and can get a little out of sorts at times if you don't go in thinking your special you will get along I try to get along with everyone and have found that I fit in with Marv and Dave don't go in thinking your special cause you ain't . You will get along after a few visits once they know you , you will be family.

WOW. Where do I start?

I won't say anything about punctuation because this isn't a "punctuation" thread and I'm no English teacher.

Pretty hard to become a member of their "family" if one is chased away on their very first visit. Isn't it?

My wife doesn't feel special for being one of the relatively few women who actually likes guns and shooting? I bet 808hondaguy being Asian doesn't make him feel special in this context either. But these idiots at S&M felt they were special and gave them some special treatment.

Do I feel special walking into a place with cash in hand? No. But since I do have cash in hand, a business, any business should be acting in such a way so a sale can be made and not chasing potential customers away. After all, they need us a whole lot more than we need them. We can just hop in our little cars and head to another shop or jump on the internet and find what we want then use another gun shop for the transfer and never return to S&M.

I suppose we know where at least one of the four "excellent" votes came from. I bet "Marv" and "Dave" are responsible for two of the four votes which leaves us with only one vote that isn't accounted for. I could probably figure it out but I really don't care. Just take a look at this thread and the 44 "poor" votes and that should be all that needs to be said. I'm no polling genius but this is a piss poor showing for a business that is in existence to ostensibly make money. There are nearly as many "poor" votes as the rest of the choices COMBINED.

I went there around 4 pm today,, nothing i really wanted,, looked like everything was listed for…... 10 % off. probably twenty people in the store at 4 p.m. Marvin is retiring and closing the store.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top