JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The wear problems might never be a problem for the average user. It's people that put 10 thousand rounds through them that are most likely to see the wear turn into a part failure. It will probably be a while before many people get that many rounds down the tube so it's an unknown for now. That's the reason many people won't buy a new model gun until it's been on the market for 2 or more years so problems can be identified and worked out or not.

Don't worry about it, just enjoy your rifle. In the old days many guns were completely worn out by the time you shot several thousand rounds through them. Modern guns last a lot longer so we get to complain about wear points here and there. These days you will have to spend a fortune in ammo before your gun breaks down.

Check page 4...

That's not yet a part failure. It's a continuing wear problem that will either reach a stop point or a part failure. I haven't seen a report of a stoppage or part failure due to this problem yet. Once the round counts get high enough we will know.

What we don't know is if Ruger can engineer a fix within the existing upper receiver and bolt carrier design or not.

Hi, Diana: I personally like Rugers. I have several of them. I bought my first one in 1961 and still have it.
However, every manufacturer has introduced a new product only to learn later that they should have done more development work on it. And, like other manufacturers, Ruger has intrduced a few losers.
But, the great thing about Ruger is that they seem to stand behind their products forever! They are recalling handguns they made as far back as 1953 to retrofit them with up to date safety features! This is done at NO COST! Do any other manufacturers offer this kind of warranty? I can't think of any right now. Rugers are also made in America, which is a plus for me! GO, RUGER!!

My husband and I both are big Ruger fans, for both those reasons. We own several rifles and hand guns made by them. I'm a real stickler for made in the USA, if it's not then I don't want it. Not saying that others are junk or of poor quality, I just want to keep my money here. One thing I think everyone can agree on, Ruger will stand by their products no matter what. And no, I don't see any other Companies updating any of there products for free. As for our SR, time will tell if it was worth the money. So far so good tho.
I had a Ruger mini 30 given to me by my dad but I didn't like the trigger pull so I traded it for a Ruger.223, I've never regretted the trade! It's put it's share of deer meat on the supper table. Oohrah!

I am thinking the same direction as MEP. Comparing a conversion kit rifle and the resulting wear to a redesigned piston platform is unrealistic. I am assuming the pics on pg 4 are of an AR conversion and not a Ruger.

A rifle engineer (I think Ruger may have 1 or 2) could easily study the wear affects and make changes to the carrier design to improve on the conversion kit. Simply changing the point or contact of the rod on the strike pad forward may reduce tilt. Bolt weight, piston travel, piston bore diameter and several other changes which I'm sure could help. You are not limited to making it function in an existing chassis since you are designing your own. I guess it's nice to have a R&D budget when you have been manufacturing firearms of quality for many years. After all, this is a rifle born from observing and using the good and or desirable traits from several rifle designs.

I keep telling myself I have enough AR's, but I really think I need a Ruger SR556.

I would appreciate hearing here from someone who has say 1K rds or more through an SR556 and the condition of the rifle. :s0155:

It would be nice to have more info on that gun. I broke my 556 down and after 450 rounds it looks nothing like those pictures. I'd be interested to know if that was a piston conversion gun or a purpose built piston gun. Either way I'm really happy with my 556 so far :s0155:

It's two different guns.

Both 556's, if I recall.

I haven't heard much about the Ruger, but I was checking out the Sig 5.56 and it looks pretty slick. I don't like the rear stock, the way it folds I more partial to the regular AR stock. But I haven't read or heard anything bad about the gas piston system, it seems to handle greater abuse especially in full auto.

If I had the scratch I'd go with the Sig.

I saw an ad where the wear from carrier tilt was addressed by sloping the bottom rear of the carrier so it enters the buffer tube and sort of shoehorns it's way in. Lower half of the carrier at the rear looked tapered or ramped. It still might wear more than the direct gas version, but it's something. No, I can't remember who it was, but looks like something anyone could do to their own rifle. I doubt if the particulars are all that precise.

I am assuming the pics on pg 4 are of an AR conversion and not a Ruger.

Those are pictures of a factory Ruger gun posted on arfcom last summer. They have a ton of "piston" AR threads going these days.

No matter what mods you do to the various internal pieces, the bottom line is the receiver needs grooves and/or rails designed to keep the bolt straight when the guide rod or piston hits it. Yet none of the companies playing with the "piston" concept have designed a proper receiver and bolt combination yet.

Once someone does and takes over the "piston" marketplace, all the compromise designs will become just a footnote in AR history and odd collector items on Gunbroker.

No matter what mods you do to the various internal pieces, the bottom line is the receiver needs grooves and/or rails designed to keep the bolt straight when the guide rod or piston hits it. Yet none of the companies playing with the "piston" concept have designed a proper receiver and bolt combination yet.

Complicates fabrication a bit. I'd bet a lot of those working on the issue don't want to go there. Requiring a different upper would limit potential conversions and make piston rifles even more expensive. IMO, piston conversions are already above a reasonable price point for what you have in parts.

Excuse my assumption, I had seen those or similar pictures on other AR forums in discussions about piston conversions on existing AR rifles. I have not seen any posts that specifically mentioned the Ruger SR556 or the Sig 556 as being poor piston designs. I am being an Optimist.

If I see a firearm fail in a prolonged bump firing demonstration on U Tube, I seldom think about what the gun did to cause the failure. :D

Sent ruger an email asking about carrier tilt. This is what they sent back. Response:
Our design has less carrier tilt, has less force behind the tilt, does less damage when it does tilt, and what little force/tilt is left is directed to an inexpensive buffer tube instead of an expensive upper receiver.Wear in the buffer tube, as a result of carrier tilt, will most likely be present to some degree in nearly all rifles. Once the wear pattern is established, it is unlikely to worsen over the life of the rifle. In the unlikely event the buffer tube continually degrades over time, the rifle should be sent back to us for review. Degradation in the buffer tube can be a concern if the top of the buffer retainer plunger (the small pin that holds the buffer in the tube) and/or the bottom of the relief groove of the carrier (which allows the carrier to travel over the buffer retainer plunger) starts to get wear.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

Gas pistons add weight, cost and complexity to a rifle design that Mr. Stoner worked hard to simplify. If you want a piston gun, buy one that was designed as a gas piston gun (FAL, G36, AK, SIG 556, Robinson Arms, etc.).

I have never had a problem with the multitude of DI AR rifles that I have owned & shot over the last 30 years (including my 8 years on active duty). I would rather spend the price difference between a DI & piston gun on quality optics. I would much rather have a higher quality DI AR (Knight's Armament SR15, LMT CQB (Close Quarter Battle) MRP (carbine), or Noveske N4 rather than a gas piston hybrid AR.

The gun shop in mac has one...for 1999.95! What a rip off if you ask me! Looks really nice but I don't want a piston AR, and I'm not much of a Ruger fan. Ide take a Stag or something and do the rails and sights that the Ruger has and save a bunch of money. Just what I think. Also, I want to be able to use any AR parts I want, not just Piston parts.

The gun shop in mac has one...for 1999.95! What a rip off if you ask me! Looks really nice but I don't want a piston AR, and I'm not much of a Ruger fan. Ide take a Stag or something and do the rails and sights that the Ruger has and save a bunch of money. Just what I think. Also, I want to be able to use any AR parts I want, not just Piston parts.

Not bashing on the 556 but after eading your post about a stag. Well picked up a 2TL wich is the same as the Ruger I have Samson quad rail on mine but it is a lefty model. Still only paid 1k for it new. I have seen some high prices for he 556 but have also seen a few at 1500 for new and that is the SRP I think or at least close to it.

Yeah that guy here in Mac is a rip off artist. If you look around I've seen plenty of them in the $1380 price range. I think the price will continue to fall as more get out on the market, I'm waiting for a good used one for a good price when I find it. I refuse to do business with the Mac gun shop. Just me though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top