JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just got a Ruger SR 556 this week. so far I put maybe 150 rounds through it. So far it works great, I like the sound of the weapon does not sound like an M4.
I made a modification to the 16" barrel I cut it down and rethreaded it reinstalled the flash suppressor and the size is... well depending on how you measure its between 12 and 14". (Still Legal) never less I am selling the upper because I found a 6.8 spc upper, and I have no need for the SR 556 upper any more I will post a pic to see if any one is interested. BTW I test fired the shortened upper works great, LOL Too much fun and I need to get stuff done!

I just got a Ruger SR 556 this week. so far I put maybe 150 rounds through it. So far it works great, I like the sound of the weapon does not sound like an M4.
I made a modification to the 16" barrel I cut it down and rethreaded it reinstalled the flash suppressor and the size is... well depending on how you measure its between 12 and 14". (Still Legal) never less I am selling the upper because I found a 6.8 spc upper, and I have no need for the SR 556 upper any more I will post a pic to see if any one is interested. BTW I test fired the shortened upper works great, LOL Too much fun and I need to get stuff done!
Not legal unless you paid the SBR tax, or welded a muzzle device on to bring it over 16".

And why would you buy a 556 just to ditch the upper? That is what sets the Ruger apart from other ARs! Better off selling the thing whole (after its verified legal) and get a 6.8 rifle.

OK so I guess Im better off hiding the upper LOL. With the KX3 flash suppressor the length is 16.1" so is it still legal? I dint have an AR before the RugerSR and I found someone selling a 6.8 upper. No need for the SR 556 upper to sit collecting dust with no lower so I would like to sell it... or maybe leave it in the gun safe until zombies attack which ever happens first.

OK so I guess Im better off hiding the upper LOL. With the KX3 flash suppressor the length is 16.1" so is it still legal? I dint have an AR before the RugerSR and I found someone selling a 6.8 upper. No need for the SR 556 upper to sit collecting dust with no lower so I would like to sell it... or maybe leave it in the gun safe until zombies attack which ever happens first.

It has to be permanently attached via an ATF approved method.

My husband and I bought the SR for $1385 thru our local dealer. WE LOVE IT! We haven't had ANY problems with it what so ever. I think it's a bad a#! gun personally. So far we have shot close to a thousand rounds out of it with no jamming of any kind. True it's mostly made of other brand parts but put them all together and it's a great gun. It's very accruate! My husband was able to hit a milk jug at 200 yrds with the open sights. I was sure impressed. Time will tell how well it holds up. But so far so good, we both really like it. No regrets here! Oh, we ran all reloaded ammo thru it too. So if you have one that is jamming, the ammo might be the problem. We reload ours and don't have any problems with it. (Remington and Federal brass) Yeah, I know it isn't recommended, so what it's cheaper and they are more accruate. Who can afford store bought ammo?

Thanks for the welcome, I hope you guys don't mind a girl honing in on ya.
I know CMMG will void their life time warrenty if you use reloads in them. J has been reloading for years and is very professional about it. I know the thought of some people reloading is extremely scarry. I've seen guys drink alcohol while loading, YIKES! If you know what your doing, which I don't my husband does, the results are as I'm sure you know more accurate and less costly. It's just unfortunate that most companies won't honor the warrenty then. But......I can't definately understand why. I know I've got to get my butt in gear and learn all about it. I've had a real run of bad luck with family dying lately. I don't want to inherit all this reloading stuff and not now how to use it properly. Semper Fi.

I'm in my mid 50s and am expecting Mom to go one of these years. Dad's already gone. Seems they go in groups sometimes. Manufacturers just won't warranty damage which involves factors they have no control over. Factory/arsenal ammo has verifiable quality control, homebrew doesn't.
No problem using reloads, you're just on your own if you have a kaboom. Replacing a rifle might be the least of your worries at that time though.

Thanks for the welcome, I hope you guys don't mind a girl honing in on ya.
I know CMMG will void their life time warrenty if you use reloads in them. J has been reloading for years and is very professional about it. I know the thought of some people reloading is extremely scarry. I've seen guys drink alcohol while loading, YIKES! If you know what your doing, which I don't my husband does, the results are as I'm sure you know more accurate and less costly. It's just unfortunate that most companies won't honor the warrenty then. But......I can't definately understand why. I know I've got to get my butt in gear and learn all about it. I've had a real run of bad luck with family dying lately. I don't want to inherit all this reloading stuff and not now how to use it properly. Semper Fi.

Hi, Diana. I think it is wonderful to have a lady on this forum. I do all I can to interest any female I know to get into shooting. The world would be a better place if the majority of women had and could use a gun. Again I say "WELCOME, MA'AM"!

There is a good write up on why the addition of a operating rod to an AR15 is a bad idea. It would take a redesign of most of the rifle to really do it right.

The Failed Promise of the "Piston" AR-15 Conversion:
http://vuurwapenblog.com/2009/10/21/the-failed-promise-of-the-piston-ar-15-conversion

Highlights:

"In order to understand why such a conversion isn't the best option for a standard AR-15, you need to know how an AR-15 works. I'll try to distill it to one paragraph.

Gases from the fired case (which expands, by the way) travel back through the gas tube, for a specific amount of time based on the distance between the gas port and the muzzle – we refer to this as dwell time. Does this gas simply "push" the bolt back? Not exactly. Gas travels inside the gas key of the bolt carrier and expands rearward, forcing the carrier back, while it also pushes the bolt forward. As the carrier pulls back, the cam pin moves in its slot in the carrier, causing the bolt to rotate and unlock. At the same time, the gas that's still in the barrel is keeping the case expanded to fill the chamber. Once that gas is vented out the front of the barrel, the case shrinks, allowing the entire assembly to pull back while the extractor continues to grip the rim of the case.

Now, the piston conversion. Some of these items vary based on the exact conversion, but this is a general overview.

As soon as the bullet passes the gas port, gas enters the gas block and pushes against whatever components the individual manufacturer has decided to place in the way. The effect is that the operating rod pushes against the top of the bolt carrier – and instead of having the gas enter the carrier and exert pressure parallel to the bore fore and aft, the rod hits the carrier key – or modified one piece carrier – which has the effect of causing the bolt carrier to move at a tail-down angle. There isn't any gas pushing the bolt forward while the carrier unlocks, so the carrier just pulls the bolt back and forces it to unlock from the locking lugs of the barrel. The piston/op-rod assembly, which is under spring pressure, starts to move forward to its "at rest" position, however, in some cases it will slam forward with enough force to shear any pins holding the spigot in place – that's why you won't see many standard FSBs on piston conversions any more."

...which all makes it even more obvious that the AR-18(180) operating system might be more what is needed here. Losing the big bolt carrier and buffer assembly would be a good start. But I figure that is probably what the military will end up with when they choose a replacement for the M4 down the line, something way different and not just a conversion of the old system.

Hi, Diana. I think it is wonderful to have a lady on this forum. I do all I can to interest any female I know to get into shooting. The world would be a better place if the majority of women had and could use a gun. Again I say "WELCOME, MA'AM"!

Why thank you Sir! I'll have to see what I can do to round some ladies up to join me. I love to shoot and have been since I was little. I'm not too bad a shot, I raised one son who is now USMC $ qualified sharp shooter. Him and I would have contests to see who was the more "skilled" shall we say. Throwing brass is one of my favorite things to do.

My husband mounted a big spring on the side of a hickory tree, attached that to a six foot pole and mounted ears of corn on each end for the squirrels. When they jump on it they go for a ride being mounted on that big spring. Well point being, when the corn is all gone and only the cob is left, we try to shoot the cob off while it's bouncing around. It's very fun for me! And quite a challenge. I love my guns.:p

Diana-

I fully beleive in order to preserve the 2nd Ammendment we need more female gun owners in this world.

As for the AR-18 or AR-180, isn't it funny how MagPul's Masada or Remington's ACR (what ever they wish to call it) is based on the AR-180 platform? Corious if the author is related or what is the 6th degree of seperation, to MagPul. Just a thought.

SF-

Diana-

I fully beleive in order to preserve the 2nd Ammendment we need more female gun owners in this world.

As for the AR-18 or AR-180, isn't it funny how MagPul's Masada or Remington's ACR (what ever they wish to call it) is based on the AR-180 platform? Corious if the author is related or what is the 6th degree of seperation, to MagPul. Just a thought.

SF-

I'm a member of the NRA and it scares me to death sometimes reading about how so many people are out there fighting to take away our 2nd Amendment rights. My only response to all of that is, " You can have my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands." :D

I'm brand new to the AR world so I'm not too familiar with exactly what makes them tick. Since joining this forum I see that alot more seasoned voices don't see the new SR 556 with all it's not so homemade parts, as "all the Rage." The only thing I know to do, to know for certain how it will perform and how the Magpul accessories will last is to just go out and give it ****. I realize it's composed of a variety of others parts but all combined it's a nice shooting rifle. Time will tell huh? I want to put one together from scratch, I'm leaning towards no piston? I really don't know where to start. That's why I'm here.

Thank you TangoFoxTrot for taking the time to explain that all so well. Well said, I do understand everything you explained to me. Now ya got me curious to see how well the piston will hold up. I take it alot of you guys aren't to fond of Rugers?

Thank you TangoFoxTrot for taking the time to explain that all so well. Well said, I do understand everything you explained to me. Now ya got me curious to see how well the piston will hold up. I take it alot of you guys aren't to fond of Rugers?

Hi, Diana: I personally like Rugers. I have several of them. I bought my first one in 1961 and still have it.
However, every manufacturer has introduced a new product only to learn later that they should have done more development work on it. And, like other manufacturers, Ruger has introduced a few losers.
But, the great thing about Ruger is that they seem to stand behind their products forever! They are recalling handguns they made as far back as 1953 to retrofit them with up to date safety features! This is done at NO COST! Do any other manufacturers offer this kind of warranty? I can't think of any right now. Rugers are also made in America, which is a plus for me! GO, RUGER!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top