JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought it at the Gun Zone 16120 SE 82nd DR 503-974-9002. They had it listed at 1595. I was able to get it for 1500. I got it all cleaned up and ready to go but family matters got in way of actually getting to the range... This weekend for sure. I'll let ya know how it does :s0155:

Ok made it to the range today. In 300 rounds I had zero malfunctions. I was at an indoor range so could only go out to 25 yards. The weapon grouped well and didn't have to adjust anything out of the box yet. We shall see once I'm able to get it outside at longer distances. I shot Federal ammunition.

The only downside was getting the piston out to clean. I shot the ammo pretty quickly and switched to shotgun and handgun. Let rifle sit a while before coming to clean. I had a lot of carbon build up on the piston which made it very hard to get out to clean. With that being said its amazing I didn't have any jams while shooting. The piston is nickel plated but when it came out it looked as though it was blued :cool: With a lot of scrubbing it is now nickel looking again haha.

Anyway for anyone looking for a good shooting AR this Ruger would be a fine choice... Can't wait till my Leupold scope gets in.

Ruger SR-556, I just had to have one. But now I wish I had waited. I have had nothing but problems with it. I have sent it back to the factory for repair twice and still not satisfied with it. From stuck shell cases, not chambering next round and the charging handle dragging across the lower receive causing wear on it. This rifle will not operate with cheaper ammo. I should have spent that $1600 on two other brands of AR15

Ruger SR-556, I just had to have one. But now I wish I had waited. I have had nothing but problems with it. I have sent it back to the factory for repair twice and still not satisfied with it. From stuck shell cases, not chambering next round and the charging handle dragging across the lower receive causing wear on it. This rifle will not operate with cheaper ammo. I should have spent that $1600 on two other brands of AR15

Hey Bigbang,
Have you thought about asking Ruger if they would exchange it for another one? Kinda sounds like you got a lemon. I've only had to deal with Ruger one time and they were very high class in their customer service. I own many Rugers now and have traded a few away, but with the one exception I've never experienced a problem with one of them. Well, except for the 10/22 that didn't shoot for beans with truncated cone bullets.

For that kind of money why not just get a Colt 6920 or 40? True mil-spec and didn't copy anyone.

Well, if the money's already spent the hind sight doesn't solve any of his problems. Wouldn't hurt to ask Ruger.

Didn't know Colt designed the AR15 platform. Thought everyone copied ArmaLite.

"Didn't know Colt designed the AR15 platform. Thought everyone copied ArmaLite. "

I think Colt bought the design from Armalite and improved on it. Buying is not copying, but I might be wrong, it was a long time ago.

jj

Well, if the money's already spent the hind sight doesn't solve any of his problems. Wouldn't hurt to ask Ruger.

Didn't know Colt designed the AR15 platform. Thought everyone copied ArmaLite.

Donno, didn't see any Armalites in Nam in the 60's when we got the first Colt AR's that replaced our M-14's...Maybe I missed something. My message was for the other guy thinking about spending 1500.00 on a untested rifle. Colt's been there, done that.

When I decided to get back into the AR platform, I started looking around and decided on the SR 556. But the new price was a little high so I found one used, now the waiting game.

I hope the rifle meets my expectations, ordered 2k rounds to find out:winkkiss:

Was in Wade's in Bellevue a couple of days ago and they have a used one on the wall for 1399, in case any out there are looking.

What is that?

Looks like a customized auto Mini-14 to me ,Forget what they are called, with a killer folding stock. (maybe factory) which aren't available to the public anymore.

I have a customized Mini with about the same lenth barrel and would put it against any AR out to 250 yds. I may not shot better, but I won't shoot any worse. Plus I hardly ever have to clean the entire gun.

I do like the Ruger SR556 a lot though.

Last Edited:
As ususal Ruger...hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Blue rifles not many stainlss
now mostly stainlss, not many Blue.

Rifles with sights
now rifles w/o sights.

Nicest firearm they made now don't
stainless Single Six 4n5/8" barrel

Stainlss 77/44

Mini 14 can't keep all shots on a paper saucer plate at 200 yards

A new SR556 and a lousy caliber,not suprising for Ruger and again Blue not stainlss.....

seems to me they just don't get it or most likely I don't get it...and that's why I won't buy it..

Bought one today, will try it out next week at the range.
It just looked and felt solid and well made. It's like Ruger waited to see what was really a desired platform and then built it. Once I saw and handled it, I needed to take it home. Time will tell if I was wise or a dummy. If it's the latter, it wouldn't be the first time...

Piston AR's are no answer to anything, stick with DI.

Thanks to your piston system, you now get to deal with "Carrier tilt". With each pull of your trigger, the rear end of your bolt carrier is grinding against the receiver extension.

The piston rod pushes back on the carrier, and lifts the bolt "upward", causing the rear of the carrier to tip downward. This will cause a lot of damage to the receiver extension, and eventually damage to your lower receiver.

This problem is not subject to Ruger's firearm, but ALL gas piston driven AR platforms.

400 rounds.
tilt1.jpg

850-950 Rounds

1500 rounds
100_0265.jpg
^^ Notice the gouging. See the high, black part in the middle? That's where there is no material on the bottom of the carrier. See how badly it's digging metal out of the buffer tube?

Also notice the shinny spot on the detent pin. The carrier is quietly sinking lower and lower into the tube, and is (as of the last picture) rubbing on the detent pin. A little more, and the carrier might be able to break off the pin entirely.

If you could find a slightly longer buffer tube, you could cut out a "groove" for the pin, and thread the tube further onto the receiver. So effectively, the carrier would already be IN the extension before the trigger was pulled. You would have to file the top and sides of the tube down, however, so you could still separate the receivers.

Looks like it does this right as the carrier gets smacked by the oprod. Rounding the bottom outside of the carrier might help. I expect to hear more about this in the mainstream gun press before long. Meanwhile, I'll be loving my 180B.

If you start the carrier in the tube, would you still be able to break the weapon open as usual? Or even close it up?

Ruger has always been willing to correct problems that come up with All of their products. At this time they are offering to do safety retrofits of products that they made as long ago as 1953! Does any body else warranty products that are that old? I believe that if a problem arises with anything Ruger makes they will take care of it. Let them know.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top