Remington 870 wingmaster barrel lenth/question and a rather boring story.

Discussion in 'Rifle & Shotgun Discussion' started by james83, Sep 22, 2012.

1. james83

james83 I'am feeling fat and sassy

88   0   0
    Hi, Everyone

I have a question about Wingmaster barrels and also a little story I thought i would share, A while back i sold a Remington 870 to get some extra cash for a new gun i had to have, Didnt really miss the 870 shotgun that much but wife did as it was the only gun she felt happy with for home defense. The 870 i sold had a 18.5'' barrel.

Anyways my wife is not really a recreational shooter but she feels its important to have a gun for home defense, I tried to get her comfortable with one of my Glock 21's that i use for home defense purposes but she just really does not like pistols, So i decided to buy another inexpensive shotgun for her to use, I found a Mossberg 500 with 18.5'' barrel in a local store used but in good condition for $220 dollars, Not bad i thought but i was a little short on cash till payday so i put the gun on layaway, Well i went to pick the Mossberg up today, fill out the paperwork background check pay the man ect ect

The clerk at the store calls OSP to do the background check turns out the gun was stolen! Lord knows how it actually ended up on the shelf at the store I thought they checked the serial numbers on guns when the seller takes them to the store for sale?

Well while the clerk is talking on the phone to OSP about the stolen Mossberg im getting bored and im checking out some other guns in the store, I start looking at an old Remington 870 wingmaster magnum with really beautiful wood furniture, a few small dings and scratches here and there but overall in good condition, I really liked the Wingmaster so i gets to thinking hey that would make a great spare gun for duck hunting just in case my over/under craps out on me in the field.

So i ask the clerk hey this wingmaster is $280 dollars seeing as you just tried to sell me a stolen gun whats the lowest price you'll go on this wingmaster, clerk says $230 so i bought it. So i get home happy with my new to me wingmaster, Wife says what the hell is that? a wingmaster i say look how nice the wood is, Wife says yes its very nice but the barrel is 30'' long how the heck can i use that as a home defense gun?!

I then remembered why i went to buy a shotgun today haha

So i've been looking around online seeing if i can find a short barrel for a wingmaster and all i can find is 20'' fully rifled deer slug barrels which are not suitable and actually cost more than i payed for the wingmaster!

So after my long and im guessing boring story heres my question -are there any 18.5'' or 20'' barrel that fit wingmasters? would a barrel off of a remington 870 express work on a wingmaster?

I really dont want to cut the 30'' barrel down if i dont have too. I guess i could just go out and buy a HD type shotgun too but seeing as this wingmaster is just going to be my spare waterfowl gun I figured it would be easier to just find a short barrel for it and use it for HD too

If anyone has a Wingmaster barrel laying around let me know and i will buy it

Thanks -james
  2. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Well-Known Member

12   0   0
    They are ubiquitous. And cheap
    Buy a rifled barrel too for sabot slugs.
  3. elsie

elsie Active Member

6   0   0
    mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  4. markt471

markt471 New Member

0   0   0
    Hello,

Would you be interested in selling your 30" barrel for your 870?

Thanks!

Mark
  5. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Well-Known Member

8   0   0
    [​IMG]
    You said it's a spare waterfowl gun right?

When you're done with the tool above, use it for birds in tight above the decoys.

And hope the perps don't hit your house while you're gone duck hunting, and your wife is home alone.
  6. Huntbear

Huntbear Member

1   0   0
    go online to Cabelas or Bass PRO... they both carry Remington, Mossberg and Carlton barrels for the wingmaster.. are they cheap? nope.. but you will have the barrel you want.
  7. Jamie6.5

8   0   0
    BTW, isn't the choke on that 30" barrel a full?
    If so, you don't want to shoot steel out of it anyway, the one I had was a lead-shot era gun.
    By the time you pay a smith to ream it to Modified, you could probably buy a new one anyway.
  8. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

15   0   0
    And thus, the Saga of Ruby Ridge began.:paranoid:
  9. Mark W.

Mark W. Well-Known Member

35   0   0
    CDNN sports has a 18.5" barrel that will fit a Wingmaster 2 3/4" or 3" for $69.95 I bought one maybe 3-4 months ago. Nice looking blued brass beadsight. They are currently overwhelmed and have their web site shut down. You might check back in a week or two when they get caught up.
  10. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

11   0   0
    Measure 3 times cut ONCE!!!!
  11. ch139

ch139 Active Member

22   0   0
    Get a hold of Mr. 870 himself, J. D. McGuire of AI&P Tactical! J.D. is the 870 God.

A new factory Remington bead-sighted 18-inch barrel for your 870 is about $106 or so IIRC. For a few bucks more you could probably get the above barrel in a nice blue finish (for a blued 870P) that would come close to matching the finish on your Wingmaster.

Any way you look at it, an 870 is an 870 is an 870 be it a Wingmaster, Police or Express and with the 2 3/4-inch chamber or marked as a Magnum or a Super Magnum. Its only a few parts that are different between the bunch and the finish on them (the Super Mag does have a bigger hole in the side). They're all 870s. So, if you come across a barrel you like for an 870 Express or 870 Police, it will fit your Wingmaster. Now, with that said, Remington has started selling new 870s with a longer than "normal" magazine tube. Still an 870, but the barrel it come with (and needs) has the ring that goes around the magazine tube further forward on the barrel. These barrels won't work on "normal" 870s nor will the "normal" 870 barrel work on these guns. Don't imagine it is for the OP to worry about though. If I were in his shoes I'd keep the 30-inch barrel that came with the gun just as-is and pick up one of the above mentioned 18-inch blued barrels off an 870P from J. D. to keep on the gun for Homeland Security duty.
  12. Jamie6.5

8   0   0
    Hey, I'm not advocating anything near that short.
    But he's got to do something about that full choke before he puts a steel full-house goose load through it and turns it into something resembling a blunderbuss!
    Besides, a 26" cylinder barrel should come in handy for close range birds over the dekes, with #2 or #4 steel.
  13. glockman99

glockman99 Active Member

1   0   0
    A good hacksaw blade is alot cheaper than buying a new barrel...Just sayin'...
  14. mpmax

mpmax Active Member

54   0   0
    I believe they are taking phone orders....
  15. james83

james83 I'am feeling fat and sassy

88   0   0
    Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my question, I ended up trading off my wingmaster as i did not want to shorten the barrel