JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get ahold of a 30-35 gallon drum or air compressor vessel and build your own with a vogelzang kit. I just built one for my wall tent. I have about $75 into for materials and was able to scrounge most of it up. If you had to buy a barrel and everything else you could spend as much as $150 on one though. They are pretty proud of the factory ones they sell at the wall tent outfits so it is a pretty economical option.
C9F7B8C3-2994-4E1C-AF9D-521028357805.jpeg 1922A4E2-F865-4B9D-A377-88B0ADA06C17.jpeg

Depends on the size of the tent. My buddies have used an old rectangular cast iron stove successfully. It's about 30" deep x 15" wide x 15" tall. Has a 12" vented door and takes smallish/longish chunks of wood. Someone has to get up to feed it a coupla times a night. The stove was welded together by my buddy.

There might be some small used wood stoves for sale out there. Less'n yer looking fer new...

A lot depends on what you want it to do and how much it really has to handle.
BTW I have one that is not likely going to get used that I can dig out of the storage shed. I might even be down that way some time soon. Or if you come north I'll give you a good deal. Shoot me a PM if interested...
(Note mine is fairly small and thus easiy to pack in, use and does the basic job it was designed to.)

Get ahold of a 30-35 gallon drum or air compressor vessel and build your own with a vogelzang kit. I just built one for my wall tent. I have about $75 into for materials and was able to scrounge most of it up. If you had to buy a barrel and everything else you could spend as much as $150 on one though. They are pretty proud of the factory ones they sell at the wall tent outfits so it is a pretty economical option.
View attachment 624223View attachment 624224
You built that?!

You built that?!
I did. Mine started as an air compressor tank so I had to cut one convex end off and weld a flat end on. It helps to have some rudimentary fab skills and a welder to add some features but not totally necessary. I have seen some barrel based builds using the vogelzang kit with no flat cooking surface done simply with a jigsaw and a drill and they work fine.

I did. Mine started as an air compressor tank so I had to cut one convex end off and weld a flat end on. It helps to have some rudimentary fab skills and a welder to add some features but not totally necessary. I have seen some barrel based builds using the vogelzang kit with no flat cooking surface done simply with a jigsaw and a drill and they work fine.
Excellent skills!!!
I really want a mig welder. There so expensive.
So are the walls thick enough on a compressor to hold heat?

I don't have experience with them, but this outfit looks pretty cool. They are out of Washington.

Excellent skills!!!
I really want a mig welder. There so expensive.
So are the walls thick enough on a compressor to hold heat?
They are thicker than a barrel and on par with the thicknesses found on the better wall tent stoves. They are around 1/8" or so. It is a bit of a trade off to keep the weight down and therefore maintain portability.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top