JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are there any good reasons _not_ to get a CPL? I haven't felt a strong need for one, but there have been times where it would have come in handy. If you're not planning on carrying on regular basis, is it worth it?

Would enjoy your thoughts-

Thanks.

I have no personal experience with this but a friend had one and cancelled it because he was pulled over by the police a few times and was given a very hard time about it and he thinks they pulled him over just to hassle him about it. Also he said that he had some troubles traveling becasue of it. I dont know how much of this is fact though

I have no personal experience with this but a friend had one and cancelled it because he was pulled over by the police a few times and was given a very hard time about it and he thinks they pulled him over just to hassle him about it. Also he said that he had some troubles traveling becasue of it. I dont know how much of this is fact though

They wont know that you have a CHL until they run your drivers license, not your plates.

1. There has been a push by newspapers in Oregon to publish the names of CCW holders, which could potentially subject them to safety issues and targeting by thieves. While county sheriffs are resisting, it's possible such information could be published in the future.

2. Some believe the 2nd Amendment makes any laws restricting carry illegal. While the courts haven't shared that opinion, I personally tend to believe that is what the founders envisioned -- that citizens would protect themselves from both the tyranny of government and provide for the safety of themselves & family. (Read that as meaning both a duty to arm for the public good, as well as for personal protection.) However, in this time of uber-government, such opinions are unpopular among those in government as well as those taking from the government's hand.

Sounds like your friend has a persecution complex...and quite possibly a beef with authority.

As far as getting one, the law does not state you can only carry concealed "occasionally" without a license. It states you need one to carry at all. If anyone ever carries concealed without a license they are a criminal and deserve to be punished severely if caught. They should not come whining later about how their rights were violated.

Only tangible reason I can think of for not carrying would be if you are prone to violence or criminal behavior. If this is you don't carry for the love of God don't carry.

However if you are not prone to violence or criminality and are prepared to use it as a last resort by all means get a CPL or CHL and start carrying everywhere. The more good people on the street carrying the better. :s0155:

Oh and FYI I have never been harassed by the police about carrying. I did have a police officer ask me once if I was carrying but he was cool about it and I didn't feel harassed at all. As far as they can't tell until they run your drivers license goes, I believe that to be untrue. Seems to me that they know as soon as they run your plate.

Get one even if you don't plan on using it. You may want on later and there may be tighter restrictions enacted in the future that will make it harder to get. Also, if you have one, there are no questions about how to legally transport it to the range.

I have no basis on this statement other than my own interpretation of how CPLs could be best controlled/harassed by someone looking to make a name for him/herself.

Thanks for the responses, they're much appreciated. I'm not prone to violence or criminal behavior (no worries NK777). My fingerprints are already filed, and I mean _all_ of them (federal employee - so can't carry to, from or at work). I suppose the fact that my name would be on another potentially publicly accessible list might concern me, as well as any negative repercussions from LE...

They wont know that you have a CHL until they run your drivers license, not your plates.

If the car you are driving in is registered to you and you have a CHP then they no.

Sounds like your friend has a persecution complex...and quite possibly a beef with authority.QUOTE]

While this could be true, I have been pulled over for a "courtsey check" and I dam well no the only reason was to see if I was packing. I think some of the smaller departments have a bit more time on there hands then in the metro area. My $0.02

I don't think that there are many LEOs that will bring negative repercussions from having a CPL. My few interactions with LEOs have been very easy and very respectful.

If you get pulled over at night turn your dome light on and keep your hands easily visible, but I would recommend that regardless of CPL or no CPL.

Amending my earlier post to include harassment:

I was pulled over while going varmint shooting in Eastern Oregon. Officer asked me if I had any weapons in the vehicle, and I explained I did. He asked if I had anything on me, and I explained I did. He told me not to go for it, and I simply kept my hands in plain sight on the wheel. No reason for me to try to make him nervous; I agreed. We ended up having a good discussion, and he even provided some suggestions on where to go. FYI, he never asked if I had a CCW.

I know that my friend said he was pulled over for no other reason but to check lisence and reg along with CHL. The police never gave him a reason why they pulled him over and they gave him a hard time about the CHL and one time even made him get out and against the car so they could check the gun. That was PDX LE

And That's Why I drive a car that's in My Fiances name. Shes got a clean Record. Well One ticket. and so if they run my plates it comes up clea.. Also I have a crappy driving record 10 pages long lol.. But U can not blame a Police officer for acting skittish when they first find out you have a CHL. like NK777 said Maybe your crazy and the cops dont know it. But for the most part cops are pretty cool about you carrying.

I haven't personally met a LEO that had any problem with concealed carry. In my case I wasn't doing anything wrong so the LEO had no reason to be concerned about me. It was a Stater and I wasn't pulled over. He showed up on my door step and I believe he ran my plates before I answered the door. I never showed him my drivers license so he obviously didn't run that. He didn't ask me any stupid questions about it either like, "Why do you carry?" I know how I'd answer that BTW. "I carry for the same reason you do officer..." Though i would be tempted to say "Because a Cop is to heavy :D ". I figure they may or may not have a sense of humor so I feel it to be unwise to be sarcastic.

And That's Why I drive a car that's in My Fiances name. Shes got a clean Record. Well One ticket. and so if they run my plates it comes up clea.. Also I have a crappy driving record 10 pages long lol.. But U can not blame a Police officer for acting skittish when they first find out you have a CHL. like NK777 said Maybe your crazy and the cops dont know it. But for the most part cops are pretty cool about you carrying.
FWIW I don't think they should be skittish at all. If you were crazy then you wouldn't have a CHL. They already checked you out before they gave you one. It is silly to be worried about CHL holders period. The ones they should be concerned about are the criminals that don't get licenses and are carrying. Nope i would think a police officer was an idiot if he got worried about it. Luckily I haven't ran into any LEO's with any such silly worries but I'm sure there are a few out there with irrational concerns.

Having a CHL makes it easier to travel in state with a handgun. If you want to go into a place to eat and don't want to leave the gun in the car, bring it in out of sight and you are fine. I have never been hassled by a cop for having a CHL. If one is always getting pulled over, then perhaps it's not a good idea to have a CHL since one is apparently not paying attention anyway. Count the emotional, financial, and physical costs before getting a CHL. It is NOT a frivolous thing to do, it is for those who are mature and can make mature decisions.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top