JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wonder what motivated him to shoot the ranger. Just a random act of violence or ?.

The Ranger had set up a roadblock he wanted to get past. He drove up on her vehicle, exited his, and opened fire on her, still inside her vehicle. Unit(s) chasing him returned fire, he shot at them but didn't hit anyone.. and he fled on foot.

The Ranger had set up a roadblock he wanted to get past. He drove up on her vehicle, exited his, and opened fire on her, still inside her vehicle. Unit(s) chasing him returned fire, he shot at them but didn't hit anyone.. and he fled on foot.

Wondering if he thought it was a roadblock set up due to the earlier shooting. It helps to explain the shoot first response.

There is no "service' you can offer a possessed man, I have as cousin who is such and he was hopeless from day one after Gulf War 1

That reads as if you believe the appropriate response would be that of an animal with rabies; can't be treated, so might as well euthanize. Do you believe that's the case in all cases of heavily inflicted PTSD then?

Well bill wade responded to my email. His response was mean spirited and threatening. I thanked him for his feedback and forwarded his email to the national park foundation, whom i formerly contributed to. Silly fella sent the email from his personal email account. So I guess that is where emails should go from here out.

[email protected]

Please post his e-mail in its entirety.

It was interesting - last night I was listening to one of the liberal TV commentators: Comments like:
1. He is the poster child for Gun Control - They had his picture up there holding automatic guns, shaved head and tatoos
2. He was actually at a gun party ( Like aTuperware Party - their words) where everyone displays their guns - guess that is where the first shootings came from
3.They need to inspect every car going into a national park to check for guns. I do not want to go to a NAtional park if there are guns.
4. How did someone like him "Imply- with his mental issues" get a gun
5. PTSD - So how many more of our military people who have are going to start shooting up the place.
6. Was anti social before the military - probably felt comfortabe in the war and now is a problem.
Hysteria

Any way you spin it - they will raise issues - PArticulalry since this is the one year anniversary of GAbby Giffords.

That reads as if you believe the appropriate response would be that of an animal with rabies; can't be treated, so might as well euthanize. Do you believe that's the case in all cases of heavily inflicted PTSD then?

In my experience with such people they are generally hopeless, but maybe the ones I have dealt with were extreme cases. I can tell you my father and my uncles were in WW2 and they had no such problems, so it's something recent that has been happening, not endemic to all warfare

I was serious that my cousin came back with a demon.. he even admits it

In my experience with such people they are generally hopeless, but maybe the ones I have dealt with were extreme cases. I can tell you my father and my uncles were in WW2 and they had no such problems, so it's something recent that has been happening, not endemic to all warfare

I was serious that my cousin came back with a demon.. he even admits it

The Catholic Church and many other churches still believe in actual demons and that people can be possessed. In WWII the soldiers fought the enemy, but didn't socialize with them much. In the wars in the ME, the soldiers are close to and associate with many evil people.

I would never ask someone else to believe in demons or the ability to be possessed by one, but I believe it. I've seen it. There is no cure in psychiatry for that.

Disclaimer: Everyone is entitled to his own beliefs and I'm not trying to push mine on anyone.

Millions and millions of US veterans have returned from war in the last two centuries with shell shock, battle fatigue and now PTSD. Its all the same. I feel bed for every one. I did not return with such issues, but that doesn't make me any better or worse than someone who did. Regardless, we don't have millions and millions of vets who have decided to go on a killing rampage because of (in the big scheme of things) some petty, stupid, little excuse. This man will get no sympathy from me.

Keith

You'll notice nobody from CeaseFire rushed to do this

Stepping forward for a ‘Fallen Ranger’ – a gun rights forum
:s0155: :s0155: :s0155:

While gun prohibitionists tried to exploit the New Year’s Day slaying of a Mount Rainier National Park ranger, a Seattle-based gun rights forum is already working to set up a memorial fund for Ranger Margaret Anderson’s family.

<broken link removed>

It was interesting - last night I was listening to one of the liberal TV commentators: Comments like:
1. He is the poster child for Gun Control - They had his picture up there holding automatic guns, shaved head and tatoos
2. He was actually at a gun party ( Like aTuperware Party - their words) where everyone displays their guns - guess that is where the first shootings came from
3.They need to inspect every car going into a national park to check for guns. I do not want to go to a NAtional park if there are guns.
4. How did someone like him "Imply- with his mental issues" get a gun
5. PTSD - So how many more of our military people who have are going to start shooting up the place.
6. Was anti social before the military - probably felt comfortabe in the war and now is a problem.
Hysteria

Any way you spin it - they will raise issues - PArticulalry since this is the one year anniversary of GAbby Giffords.

They pretty much checked all the boxes and followed the same pattern for sure. They even referred to him by his full name for effect Benjamin Colton Barnes. This one will get milked for all its worth, while gangbangers shooting up a crowd at a car show or at the mall will never have their names mentioned.

<broken link removed>

I would argue that "shell shock" and all the other terms used throughout the years are in essense the same thing. The actions of people seems a lot more pronounced. Is it due to us living in different times? Probably in part. Is it due to the horrors of war being different now than they were then? I don't think that's the case - people died in some pretty miserable ways back in the big wars. Maybe it's due to today's parents raising mentally weaker children? Who knows.

He wasn't in combat. Served 1 year in communications at the Gulf. Where does the " Heavily inflicted PTSD " come to play?? He was discharged when at FT Lewis.Dunno but that the report I saw.

I think that the largest contributor to PTSD is our rapid travel systems. Korean war was teh last time that we had to send troops by ships. That would take weeks each way. That gives people time to decompress with others that had the same experiences. Now a days, you could be in a firefight in kabul then the next day get off a plane in your hometown. No decompression with others that experienced what you did.

Do you think that only people who see combat in combat zones are subject to PTSD?

Were you in the service? If you can't handle the military not in a combat zone. IMO you aren't fit for that type of career. You maybe the type of person to stress on normal day life. My point is " Heavily inflicted PTSD" didn't come from the combat zone like alot of ppl who feel sorry for the man. FWIW my family is Military. 1/3 of the men are career military from the Korea,Vietnam, Afghanistan ,Gulf and Iraq. Some experianced PTSD. Some got help. Some never came back.

Well I was in the service - two tours in Viet Nam. And I just finished 2 1/2 years travelling with the Army across Afghanistan.

The worst part of this news coverage is the repeated fact that he was an Iraq war vet so that somehow some sort of gov't system is to blame. Wrong!! The Army did not build this whacko, he was nuts long before the Army kicked him out. People are people.

Were you in the service? If you can't handle the military not in a combat zone. IMO you aren't fit for that type of career. You maybe the type of person to stress on normal day life. My point is " Heavily inflicted PTSD" didn't come from the combat zone like alot of ppl who feel sorry for the man. FWIW my family is Military. 1/3 of the men are career military from the Korea,Vietnam, Afghanistan ,Gulf and Iraq. Some experianced PTSD. Some got help. Some never came back.

Did anyone say they felt sorry for him? No. Is there a systemic problem which isn't receiving the proper treatment? Yes. Does a person have to serve in combat to suffer PTSD? No. Plenty of people thought they were cut out for service only to find out later they weren't. Some people don't have a choice of careers after school and the military is still the biggest employer and opportunity for those who might not otherwise have it.

I really don't care where he or the other troops were that become afflicted with PTSD-type issues. What's important is that we find a way to help them re-assimilate into society and have a chance at a life. A lot of people on this site talk about their support of the troops and then shun the ones that breakdown like this guy. Seems pretty backward to me. Don't condone the behavior(because ultimately he was responsible for his actions), but care that people find a way to offer some level of treatment that they can use to try and minimize the problems.

Buddhalux, that's an interesting thought - I wonder if they've ever looked at that as a possible mitigating factor.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top