JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seeing as lately I can't find enough Blackhills .223 68gr hvy match I'm considering reloading an equivilent. I know the bullet is the 68gr .224 Hornady and the cases are military. From what I can find, the odds are good that Blackhills may be using Ramshot TAC powder.

Anyone reload for their AR's with this powder? Comments and suggestions always appreciated.

My Armalite M-15NM absolutely loves the Blackhills bluebox reloads in the 68gr hvy match, very exceptional accuracy.

Thanks in advance...

I dont have a .223, but that is what they developed TAC for. I wouldnt hesitate to try it. I have had excellent luck with all Ramshot powders and TAC is one of the best you can use in the .204 Ruger which is nearly the same case capacity. It meters like water too, so it would be ideal for a progressive.

I had some Black Hills blue box 68 gr ammo in the locker. I pulled the bullet and weighed the powder. Came out to 24.8 grains.
I also purchased Ramshot TAC and have loaded some test rounds at 23.5, 24.0 and 24.5 grains.
This is over the recommended max from Ramshot. Their max for the 68 grain bullet is 24.1 grains.
Hope this helps.

That was my next step, thanks for the info!

Now to find some TAC...

I noticed that Cabela's is overstocked with the redbox 55gr Black Hills in .223, both Lacey and Boise have tons of the stuff. No word on 68gr match...

I reload with TAC 24.5 gr with a 55 gr fmj and it shoots great. 1" and below with mixed brass, TAC, Hornaday 55 gr fmj and wolf primers.

Hey that's my load :)

what rifle are you shooting it out of, carbine? I'm trying to get better at shooting (my groups are still around 2.5"), but think this load should do the trick once the "shooter" is a bit better at his job!

Have you played around with crimping/bullet seating on this load? Notice much difference?

I just shot 40 rounds yesterday 23.5 gr tac 69 gr nosler custom comp rem 7 1/2 lc brass seated to 2.24 shot from bushy varminter 24inch went into one hole at 50 yards then started breaking clay pidgeons at 200. I have been chasing accuracy problems with this gun and now it looks like I found what shoots well. At least it does at 25 degrees!!brrrrrr

I have worked up a few loads in .223 with TAC. It meters perfectly as it is very fine. This powder is temperature sensitive. The load guide Ramshot provides is useless. When I used their info, the velocities I was getting were pitiful. After a bit of digging around on the web, I found some better data. I tried it with both 69 and 77 grain sierras out of a 16" AR with a 1-8 twist. Lake city brass with Wolf primers were used.
With the 69 grain bullet, I ended up using 25.6 grains of TAC for 2760 fps and a .6 moa group. I got the velocity up to 2900 but the accuracy fell off bad. Never had any pressure signs.
The 77 grain sierras ended up giving me quite a few .5 moa groups. I settled on 24.2 grains of TAC for 2570 fps. At 2620 the groups were still under 1 moa but I would rather have a group half that size 50 fps slower. Once again there were never any pressure signs.
I have yet to try this powder with lighter bullets. It's on my to do list for when its warmer and drier out.
If it wasn't temp sensitive I would be using it all the time due to how well it meters. With that said, there are powders out there that aren't temp sensitve that give equal or better performance. Its a shame they don't meter as well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top