JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My stepdaughter will be starting at Portland State and living on campus.

Her mother asked if perhaps she shouldn't have some pepper spray and of course as the household Master of Weaponry I was assigned to research.

(Before you ask, she's had no training with firearms, is not that inclined, and it wouldn't surprise me if Portland State doesn't have some fascist law restricting CCW on campus...and I'm not sure a dorm room would be the best place to keep a handgun. But I digress...)

I personally have never researched pepper spray - opinions/advice/what to look for/recommendations? My stepdaughter is not the partying sort or the type to go looking for trouble (or getting into it) and will be prudent with her safety (as much as any 18yo college student is), so the "big percentage" safety stuff is covered. If anyone knows of a guide or good article that discusses pros/cons/types/etc. that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

As with anything look to the types that the professionals use. I would look into the type of spray that the police use.

Another good thing would be to find her a self defense class that deals with awareness and how to judge a situation. Teach her how to be on alert. Knowing what is coming it always better then dealing with a surprise.

I teach this to Corrections Officers so I hope this info helps (trying to translate some of the info for you).

There's a difference between pepper spray (oleoresin capsicum) and mace (Phenacyl chloride)...so lets clarify that.

*Mace is an irritant, Pepper spray is an inflammatory agent.
*Mace is no longer used as much as Pepper Spray due to past ineffectiveness.
*The SHU (scoville heat unit) is the perceived amount of heat given from the spray
*The percentage is the concentration amount of the product vs the inactive ingredients (propellant, oil/water amount, etc.)
*The more SHU/percentage of the product, the more painful the product

So when shopping for an OC product, you want something that is not only reputable, but has a high capsicum content. Your typical defense spray is about .7% capsicum...that stuff will pretty much effect your 200lb crackhead to a charging bear. The stuff we use in the prisons is now at 1.3%...which is so hot it will burn your skin if left on too long.

There's also different types of dispersement (how it comes out of the can). Some of it is a fog (good for indoors) some of it comes out in a cone (good for multiple people) and some of it is a stream (good for distance). I can't tell you what is best, but what I can tell you is what I've used, what I carry and what I recommend.

I carry an ASP Key Defender
http://www.galls.com/asp-executive-key-defender-self-defense-spray-baton?PMSRCE=92350001&SESSIONID=000000100098079

My wife carries a Saber Red keychain
http://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Pepper-Spray-Advanced-Protection/dp/B001EWNEC4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1411226554&sr=8-5&keywords=Saber+Red+keychain

Both these carry a UV marker inside that allow police a way to identify the suspect(s) sprayed (police can put a black light and the suspect will glow, even if he cleans off the product). The ASP Defender sprays a Cone while the Saber Red fires off a stream.

The above products are both about .7%...and they work just fine. They each have their pros and cons (cost, use, distance, etc.). The only reason why my wife has the Pink Saber Red instead of the ASP is because some tard at her former job was playing with it and thought it was a flashlight, making a lot of people not-so-happy campers...the pink Saber Red makes it pretty clear that it's not a toy.

I would also recommend First Defense (aka Defensive Technologies) along with Saber Red and ASP. The rest of the brands I cannot vouch for since I have no personal or professional experience with them and cannot make a recommendation.

Hope this helps.

-Riot

Defense Tech 1.3% is what's issued to many LEO's around the country, if my info is correct. A personal sized version can be had here:

http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Technology-Solution-Pepper-1-0-Ounce/dp/B005JJCERY

Personally I'd prefer to see the young lady carrying a nice internal hammer .38 special, but that's just me....:cool:

You are correct...we switched from First Defense .7% to Def Tech (aka Safariland) 1.3% last year...the difference is guys going from "ah, it burns! Screw that!" to "OH MY GOD, I CAN'T BREATH, GET THIS CRAP OFF MY FACE!"

Def Tech doesn't make a keychain form of the 1.3%...I recommend keychain carry because it puts the product in your hand and not in a purse or pocket. There is also no UV dye in their product.

Last Edited:
Ditto on the Saber OC spray. My wife has carried them for years. Two things impress me about them, every year I replace the previous years canister. I always have her empty the old one and they have always worked perfectly. Other thing is Ive taken, kind of, peripheral whiffs of the stuff and I never want a full frontal hit!
Good luck to your college girl! SRG

FOX OC is an extremely high quality spray. It is 5.3 million SHU at 2% and is non-flammable. it also contains UV dye. We sprayed an MMA fighter who asked to be sprayed with a can that was five years past the expiration. I timed him and without using Sudecon decontamination wipes (highly recommended) he was totally incapacitated for 43 minutes. With Sudecon it would have been sub-20 minutes. He said he'd rather go into the ring with any man than be hit with FOX again. And yes he has taken Taser a couple times. It is nasty stuff.

It is our experience at OFA when students deploy Inert OC for training/practice 14 out of 16 students miss static-stationary threats at least two times in a row. Most believe it is a point and shoot, one can never miss system - in our experience this is not the case. Get her some training where she can practice against static and dynamic simulated threats.

I was sprayed with that stuff during a training qualification OH BOY !!!!!!!
I would rather be kicked in the junk than do that again than when you shower it
can re-flash. Dont remember the strength of military grade stuff is but one thing
to consider and I have seen this happen some people are not effected by it,
its not 100 %
most people will be effected but not all this has been my experience with it but better
than nothing for sure

Saber Spray gets my vote- buy the larger can not the pink purse one (its harder to use under stress).
Kimber's pepper spray is illegal in Oregon because of the gas cartridge type dispenser for some reason (classed as a gun I think).

Dorms are a tactical nightmare and with the rabble being allowed on campus under sports scholarships, plus the fact that every predator pervert knows under 21 co-eds aren't packing, well...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top