JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Care to have a little Target Shooting fun?

• Total voters
Reactions
Check back to this first post for any changes or updates prior to this event. I will edit as and when needed.

Sat May 31, Arrive 9 AM till 2 PM (+/- a couple hours).

I found just a few areas, along this same road, that need a little clean up. In general, the whole Larch Mtn area is in great shape because of the recent clean up projects. These few remaining sites, however, won't get cleaned up until next year if we don't do it now. Should be an easy going day, meet some great folks and have a good time target shooting.

This is only about half mile off the pavement. Easy for car or motorcycle.

This event is open to all Public, Family and Children. A great way to meet new people, do some target shooting and help clean up our State Lands.

Google Map Links: To Base Camp meeting area at LARGE GRAVEL PIT...

From Orchards, I205 & SR500...
https://goo.gl/maps/zNIoL

Or, Through Hockinson...
https://goo.gl/maps/TyosX

Or, From Camas area...
https://goo.gl/maps/2ZL03

GPS Coordinance:
45°43'5.63"N
122°19'1.15"W

All pertinent information about this event is here.

What to bring: Lunch, Gloves, Boots, Jeans, Rake, Targets and something with a trigger!

What to Expect: Coffee, donuts, meet new and old friends, help to clean up our State Lands and do some target shooting.

Who to contact: Cogs, or post here.

Please VOTE in the VOTE BOX above!

This project is open to all public, family and children.

Description:
We will be cleaning up outdoor target shooting sites. WA DNR will provide bags, latex gloves and garbage disposal. (Inmate crews will be picking up bags shortly after our clean up day). We will also be covered for L & I insurance for the day. DNR will provide free Day pass Discover Pass parking permits. Also, the volunteer hours you spend on this project will apply to a free annual Discover Pass (with total of 24 volunteer hours with any approved DNR project).

After lunch (bring your own), If there are some who need to leave early, we will let them do some target shooting.

As for those who are staying, we'll continue to finish up and move bags to the roadsides. Then head for base camp for some target shooting fun!

At 2 pm, we'll set up targets and have some fun! Be sure to bring ear and eye protection, appropriate targets and something with a trigger! (See separate post about Rules for Target Shooting on State Lands.)

Additional ways to help: We need a few things to help make this event more fun. 1 or 2 burner Propane cook stove, Propane coffee pot and coffee, Coffee creamer, Donuts and cookies, Fruit snacks, Portable toilet (camping type like Porta Potty) and a tent for the Porta Potty.

This event is sponsored by NorthwestFirearms.com, Open Carry Vancouver and Washington State Department of Natural Resources.

Visit http://www.northwestfirearms.com/
Visit Open Carry Vancouver at https://www.facebook.com/opencarryvancouver?ref=stream

FaceBook pages for this event: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=630790036997126

I will update this main post as, and when needed.

Thanks,

Bill

5/25 Edited to adjust map links to Large Gravel Pit.

Last Edited:
Rules for shooting on Washington State Lands. As per Department of Natural Resources.

Web link: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-145

These are common rules, to us, reasonable and typical of an outdoor sportsman using good common sense.

WAC 332-52-145

Firearms and target shooting.
(1) What is recreational target shooting? Recreational target shooting is the use of a firearm or bow and arrow on targets and the sighting in of rifles or other firearms on department-managed lands. The department regulates and enforces target shooting on department-managed lands.
(a) The department may restrict target shooting for the reasons set forth in WAC 332-52-100.
(b) Persons shall not target shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person, pet, livestock, wildlife or property.
(c) Persons shall not discharge tracer or incendiary ammunition or projectile devices on department-managed lands. For purposes of this subsection, "incendiary" means causing or designed to cause fires, such as certain substances or bombs. "Tracer ammunition" means a bullet, projectile, or shell that traces its own course in the air with a trail of smoke, chemical incandescence, or fire, so as to facilitate adjustment of the aim.
(2) Does recreational target shooting include hunting? No. This section does not apply to hunting activities, which are subject to the rules and regulations administered by the Washington state department of fish and wildlife.
(3) Where is target shooting permitted?
(a) Persons may target shoot in:
(i) Developed recreation facilities specifically designed for target shooting; or
(ii) Areas with an unobstructed, earthen backstop capable of stopping all projectiles and debris in a safe manner.
Persons shall not target shoot in any other location.
(b) Persons shall not shoot within, from, along, across, or down roads or trails.
(c) Persons shall not shoot on, at, across, along, down, from, or within five hundred feet, of:
(i) Recreational facilities that are not specifically designed for target shooting;
(ii) Residences;
(iii) Businesses;
(iv) Structures;
(v) Other areas as restricted;
(vi) Areas designated or posted as no shooting.
(4) What may be used as a target?
(a) Items that are commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting or similar targets privately manufactured by the person(s) engaging in target shooting that are consistent with this section.
(b) Unauthorized targets include but are not limited to:
(i) Natural features, except earthen berms or banks used as backstops for target shooting;
(ii) Vegetation;
(iii) Structures;
(iv) Gates;
(v) Vehicles;
(vi) Signs;
(vii) Other department improvements;
(viii) Appliances;
(ix) Furniture;
(x) Glass;
(xi) Privately owned or occupied structures;
(xii) Pets, service animals or livestock;
(xiii) Wildlife;
(xiv) Explosive and incendiary items;
(xv) Garbage of any kind.
Persons shall not target shoot at unauthorized targets.
(5) When is target shooting permitted? Unless otherwise posted, persons shall not target shoot one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.
(6) Is possession of a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle permitted on department-managed lands? Persons shall not possess a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle, except as provided by state law.
(7) Who is responsible for disposing of spent items resulting from target shooting? Persons who target shoot shall dispose of spent items and remove all shell casings, targets, ammunition packaging, or target fragments resulting from their activity, with the exception of biodegradable clay targets. Failure to remove any such debris is prohibited.
(8) Any violation of this section is a misdemeanor except a violation of subsection (7) of this section is an infraction under chapter 7.84 RCW.

I'll be there. I will also try to rally a couple friends/co-workers to join in.
I can bring coffee from the pantry, but others may not share my affinity for Yuban.
Otherwise, I will try and bring some donuts or other communal grub.

Thanks, you guys! We'll have a great time.

Chalupacabra, Thanks for the coffee and/or donuts! We'll have a drip coffee maker or two and will need some drip type coffee grounds. Probably some cream and sugar. I'm sure we'll also have a pot of hot water for the instant drinkers as well as the hot chocolate drinkers. Heck, we'll never get any work done!

Bill

Here's what we do. And we do it well. To get this kind of response from a any Forest Service agency is awesome! I, for one who is just a forum member, really appreciate all of you who are responsible outdoor shooters. Here's a video of what a project, that Joe Link put together with Mt Hood Nat Forest, and what they said about NWFA's Volunteers...

Last Edited:
I work every other weekend =( And this is a weekend I have to work. I'll see if I can get vacation off this day. If I can't get it off, I hope the next clean up is on a weekend im off.

Might save the banner idea for next week, the last week before the event. Actually, it changed to a pop-up. Kinda cool way to do it.

Still looking for a few things for this event. If you can help with anything, let me know. (Love to check things off the list!)

Additional ways to help: We need a few things to help make this event more fun.
1 or 2 burner Propane cook stove,
Propane coffee pot and coffee,
Coffee creamer,
Donuts and cookies,
Fruit snacks,
Portable toilet (camping type like Porta Potty).

I now have a tent for the Porta Potty! The dressing room privacy tent.

Thank you,

Bill

Ill dig out the camp stove and make sure it works. As long as she lights, I'll bring it with.

I'll post if it isn't going to work out for any reason.

Let's get a few more people signed up! These kinds of events just get better with every extra person we add.

I have a few new toys to break in an am personally looking forward to this event.:D

Ill dig out the camp stove and make sure it works. As long as she lights, I'll bring it with.

I'll post if it isn't going to work out for any reason.

Let's get a few more people signed up! These kinds of events just get better with every extra person we add.

I have a few new toys to break in an am personally looking forward to this event.:D

Apparently I sold the stove... It's been so long since I used it I had forgotten.

What I had thought was a stove is actually a small grill.

That's okay, Joe13. I have a single burner that I'll bring. Was hoping to have another on in case we get 2 coffee pots, or the 2nd for keeping a hot pot while the brewing another.

See you there!

Bill

Peteralexander is bringing some donuts and juice, so, we now have at least a dozen donuts, one coffee maker with filters and a couple pots worth of coffee, a 1 burner propane stove, a Porta Potti and a privacy tent. Can anyone bring more donuts? Another stove? More coffee? Cups? ect...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top