JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The original 51 is an exquisite and clever piece of work.
Yes it was. Up until about a year ago I had a 1979 copy of Guns Digest that had an excellent story about the original. Had Remington kept to the original design I would have been in line for one - but not for this one.

... Had Remington kept to the original design I would have been in line for one - but not for this one.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by keeping the original design. Other than not including a manual thumb safety and the accommodations necessary to the heavier caliber, seems to me from looking at the cross section illustrations, they did keep to the original design. Some "styling" differences, yes. As others have noted it has a little more of the Buck Rogers (or Star Trek/Wars for the younger guys) appearance than I would like but they've probably surveyed the market. It's certainly not bad enough to deter me from buying it.

Personally, I wish it had a steel frame. The weight difference would be trivial to me and the increase in wear and durability a plus. Even if they had made a polymer frame, it would have to have a substantial steel insert in the locking area to tie the barrel to the locking shoulder so I'm not convinced it would be much of an advantage given cost considerations.

As for looking like a Walther, more accurately the Walther (PP) sorta looks like the Remington Model 51.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top