JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Over the years I have owned several Marlin rifles, and each and every one was a gem. I still have most of them. And then along came Remington and screwed things up completely, or so I have read on the forums and seen on You-Tube. Since then I have not looked at or handled a new Marlin and never considered a Marlin if I was in the market for a new toy.

Last week I was perusing the new rifle wares at the counter of Fisherman's Marine in Tigard, and the counter guy handed me a new Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 (lever action). This was the first time I had handled a post-Remington Marlin rifle, and here are my observations:

1. The grain on the stock was so wide and crude that I originally thought that it was a synthetic polymer material with artificial grains. The clerk assured me that it was real wood. Well, it warn't no walnut. Not sure what it was, but it was purely crap.

2. In the center of the right side of the stock was a huge knot of wood cut cross-wise, with the grain displaying in a circular pattern. Which means that the wood was cut across the grain and not with the grain. What was immediately obvious to me was that the stock was fatally weakened by using that piece of wood cut in that way, and any good shock to the stock would result in that "knot" just popping out of the stock. And this knot was several inches across at the center.

3. The fit of the stock to the rear of the receiver was horrendous. Not even close to fitted.

4. The action was so tight and rough that I could barely work the lever. It was simply not usable.

I did not bother testing the trigger. I just handed it back.

So I guess that the moral of this story is that the quality of Marlin firearms still sucks, despite a few whispers in other forums that the quality of Marlins is starting to come back. As for me, I am ashamed that any US domestic firearms manufacturer - especially one with illustrious names and histories like Remington and Marlin - could ship such absolute garbage. That POS Marlin 1895 made Chinese knock-off crap look good. I will now wipe all Remington and Marlin products from any consideration, in any category. :(

& they label their magazines as "clips" Ive emailed them amd they said they are changing a few things.

Take the marlin 795 and 7000..
The trigger guard/pack is non reinforced plastic and cracks over its lifetime when the owner breaks it down for maintenence. Again.. They said they were looking into it.. But I wont hold my breath.

Bottom Line = Goodbye Marlin, R.I.P. You were lovely, once upon a time. Now you are dead and just a memory. But I still love my old 336 and 1984C pieces, and I will never get rid of them.

& they label their magazines as "clips" Ive emailed them amd they said they are changing a few things.

Take the marlin 795 and 7000..
The trigger guard/pack is non reinforced plastic and cracks over its lifetime when the owner breaks it down for maintenence. Again.. They said they were looking into it.. But I wont hold my breath.

I never noticed in the almost 3 years i have owned my 795 that the trigger guard was plastic. I had to take it out of the safe just now to check and see. I guess we learn something new everyday.

This is why I bought a 336C when I heard they were going to be absorbed. Should have bought a Guide Gun and 39a also. Fortunately, there are plenty of pre-Remington guns floating around out there.

Last 1895GS I looked at had the rear sight dovetail milled 5 degrees to the right, couldn't even line the sights up looking down the rifle.

Remington should just shut the Marlin line down or sell it to somebody who's willing to build guns not on an assembly line.

This is nothing new has been the norm for 4-5 years. In fact most will tell you their quality is getting better. I have an 1894 CS built in the late 90's that is an amazing rifle and recently got a Marlin 917 that has been a great gun as well. However I would hesitate to buy a new one. I'd be going over it with a fine tooth comb beforehand.

Old Marlins have great fit and finish, and nice wood.

The physical quality of a new Marlin I got about 5 years ago is just fine. Super accurate and the more I ratchet the lever, the smoother it gets. A sweet keeper for sure.

But the wood? Burl of forklift pallet methinks.

A guy here in town bought a Remington 870 410. The tube would only accept Remington shells as their rim was a smidge smaller.
He doesn't sell guns,he sold it
Bought a brand new Marlin 30-30.Had to take it to the gunsmith cause the forearm was moving around.

He will never buy another Remington
Don't blame him.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews