JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've decided that I'd rather have three acres of native grasses instead of the blackberry thickets that I currently have.

What I've done in the past is knock em down a few times each year with the truck which keeps them low enough that I can walk through them. I see that in some areas if I drive over it often enough the native grasses will take over.

I bought this place undeveloped, it isn't too rocky but it's still uneven. I've looked into herbicides,(pets) field mowers (getting too old for a walk behind) and goats (goats?) but I'd rather just cruise around on a mower. After I knock down the large canes with the truck, I assume that a standard style riding mower would control them but will the rocks and uneven ground beat it to death?

The riding field mowers that I've seen look like beasts. Might be the way to go though. Don't know.

I'm open to suggestions.

Bigfoot

Thanks the4thshake, you must have sleeping troubles too.

I have a couple of quarts somewhere around here from when I first purchased the property. I had discounted it because the well is in now and I have pets to worry about too. And the raccoons and the two families of Blacktail that all tolerate me. Apparently the deer don't know that I'm a gun loony, and if I ever get really hungry.... An EPA document that I turned up says that Crossbow is a 2,4-D formulation and it's toxicity is fairly low to critters. I'll look into it some more. I'm generally not a big fan of poisons, on the other hand I do love driving things around.

I also saw those roughcut mowers that you pull around with an ATV. Looks like a real good excuse to get an ATV. :D

I'd heard and read that if you keep them mowed down and don't give them a chance to grow leaves they eventually die off. Not true?

Goats are awesome. Logistically they may be difficult but they eat everything. I knew a guy who ran a rent-a-goat program in California for controlling poison oak and blackberry. He would drop 20 goats onto your property with a portable generator and electric fence and they would chew everything down to nubs in the course of a few days. If this interests you you might consider posting a GOAT WANTED poster on the message board at your local farm supply. Then you can hand spray whatever emerges with crossbow or roundup. You'll use fewer chemical and the goats produce great fertilizer! I believe the state ag dept can help point you to native grass seed...but I'm not certain.

Had to chime in about the goats... Yup, they will eat it all. Even some stuff that makes other animals sick. My dad had a problem with Vine Maples, Blackberries, and Scotch broom. Not any more. The downside, they ALWAYS think the grass is greener on the other side. They will find ANY weakness in your fencing. They are also stupid... leave them tied to a stake and they will find a way to get all tangled up. But they do a good job of lawn mowing. And make sure you get 2, as one is none when it comes to goats.

Horses will eat blackberry bushes and keep them at bay. And people in most places will pay you to let their horses live on your property. Could help offset the cost of the fencing and the purchase of a tractor over time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top