JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a Mossberg 930 about 6 months ago and encountered some problems with it. It cycled about everything I put through it as far as the action goes. The problem was in the magazine. More specifically the magazine extension and follower. I believe the issue was that after the 5th round of 2 ¾’ was put into the mag, the follower would hang up right at the transition point from the mag to the extension not allowing the last 2 rounds to be loaded. This hang up would occur when loading or unloading the gun. Long story short, Mossberg was very responsive in sending me replacement mag tube, follower and mag spring. None of that helped the issue. Decided to try my own fix based on what I felt was the root cause. Using a Dremel tool, I relieved some of the “sharp” step in the extension right where it meets the threaded cap as this seemed to be the are of the hang up. Also I beveled the leading and trailing edge of the follower. Seems to have fixed the problem completely. Wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue? The 930 continues to run perfectly with 100% reliability ever since the home fix.

You know I really love the thing. I guess some of the early models were shipped with front sights that were not properly aligned (canted) but Mossberg quickly shipped replacement barrels to anyone who complained. I don't believe the problem that I had would have been resolved by Mossberg even if I had shipped the gun to them as the requested. Easy fix in the end but had to do it myself. Upside is that I now have a spare mag extension, follower and spring. I will modify when and if I ever need to use them.

You know I really love the thing. I guess some of the early models were shipped with front sights that were not properly aligned (canted) but Mossberg quickly shipped replacement barrels to anyone who complained. I don't believe the problem that I had would have been resolved by Mossberg even if I had shipped the gun to them as the requested. Easy fix in the end but had to do it myself. Upside is that I now have a spare mag extension, follower and spring. I will modify when and if I ever need to use them.

I bought a 930 SPX a couple of years ago and had the exactly the same problem. I was so ticked off that I ended up selling the shotgun rather than fix it myself like they wanted me to do. They sent me what they said was a new barrel and the front sight was a little better, but was still canted. I believe they have a problem with their mfg protocol and haven't received enough complaints to warrant the expense of fixing the problem.

I had the same problem with rounds hanging up in the magazine tube.

The problems that I had with the 930 SPX really soured me on Mossberg firearms. I won't be buying another one any time soon.

It is a total shame that a company like Mossberg couldn't get it right. If I was able to fix my problem in a half an hour how easy would it have been for them to correct it? I don't blame you for being done with Mossberg after what you went through.

I have a 930SPX. My original Mag tube was canted. It threaded on straight, but the part with the threads was welded to the tube canted. They sent me a new one that was correct. Never had any feeding issues with it, but the trigger mech. siezed up once while shooting in the cold.

Not sure what was different about mine and why I have the mag jamming issues with the mag tube extention. The one that came with the gun and the replacement both had follower hang up problems. Extention does not look canted at all on either. Only after beveling the inside of the extention and the follower did the problem go away. Strange set of problems seem to be going on with the 930.