Mil-spec vs. commercial

Discussion in 'Rifle & Shotgun Discussion' started by GFO, Apr 4, 2011.

1. GFO

GFO Active Member

11   0   0
    Well this may sound stupid, but what is the difference between Mil-spec and commercial? I want to order a Magpul stock for my Bushmaster lower and I notice Magpul offers both Mil-spec and commercial versions. What is the difference? Aren't most, if not all, AR's made to Mil-spec or am I missing something.
    Thanks.
  2. DirectDrive

DirectDrive Member

0   0   0
    This is a good question....here you go:

[​IMG]

Amongst to top stock makers Mil Spec is more universally accepted (more choices) and for that reason I would go Mil Spec.
    You can also argue that Mil Spec ensures better materials and manufacturing technique.

"Commercial" exists because it's easier/cheaper to manufacture.
  3. GFO

GFO Active Member

11   0   0
    Perfect answer, I now understand. Thank you.
  4. RallySoob

RallySoob Active Member

19   2   0
    too further answer your question...Most AR15's are of commercial grade these days. replace all the parts on your rifle with mil-spec parts as you can for optimal reliability and compatibility.

I learned this lesson years ago when I couldn't get my tango down vfg to fit on my new RRA CAR A4 rail because the vfg was made to mil-spec specifications like most if not all AR15 accessories and the YHM rail on the CAR A4 was commercial grade. Same goes for upper recievers and QD scope mounts.