JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you have coordinates, or what should I put in Google Maps? We're just shooting handguns and shotguns so range isn't important. Just want to make sure we're legal. My brother is only home on leave for this week so we're trying to get out and do some shooting. We're in Clackamas so those both sound fine. Thanks in advance guys.

Since the gravel pit is closed down while they clean up the mess the fire made, I was wondering if there's anywhere close to it that you can go shooting? Or in the serounding areas (Colton, mollala, etc) I don't want to have to sight In my guns and all that bs.
If you just want to shoot handguns/shotguns you can go to the "Y" up squaw mountain go up 224 past Estacada before you start going back downhill turn on fallcreek rd after a few hundred yards turn left on Divers rd, a few hundred yards then there is a four way stop, turn right on tumala. Go up a few miles after the last houses and the road will fork, take the left road it is gravel stay to the left and it will take you to a gravel pit.

If you just want to shoot handguns/shotguns you can go to the "Y" up squaw mountain go up 224 past Estacada before you start going back downhill turn on fallcreek rd after a few hundred yards turn left on Divers rd, a few hundred yards then there is a four way stop, turn right on tumala. Go up a few miles after the last houses and the road will fork, take the left road it is gravel stay to the left and it will take you to a gravel pit.

The area of Squaw Mtn is also in the fire closure. They have Tumala/Squaw Mtn Road road closed right past the last house the right. The link is the Closure order that has been in effect since the fire started. It will most likely not come down until the Snow fly's. I would not doubt the Forest Service leaves it up all winter.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3818289.pdf

The area of Squaw Mtn is also in the fire closure. They have Tumala/Squaw Mtn Road road closed right past the last house the right. The link is the Closure order that has been in effect since the fire started. It will most likely not come down until the Snow fly's. I would not doubt the Forest Service leaves it up all winter.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3818289.pdf

The closure is higher up now I was just up there last week. I live about four miles from there.

Very soon, maybe tomorrow, you will be able to get up to the Helion Pit from the Hillock Burn Rd side of road 45, but not by the green bridge from 224. 224 is still closed before there and will be for a while longer die to landslides and snags falling. The Memaloose Road itself has similar problems, and won't be open from the green bridge side for some time, but unbeknownst to most, it does connect from Hillock Burn Road off of highway 211 toward Colton / Molalla.

Very soon, maybe tomorrow, you will be able to get up to the Helion Pit from the Hillock Burn Rd side of road 45, but not by the green bridge from 224. 224 is still closed before there and will be for a while longer die to landslides and snags falling. The Memaloose Road itself has similar problems, and won't be open from the green bridge side for some time, but unbeknownst to most, it does connect from Hillock Burn Road off of highway 211 toward Colton / Molalla.

Used to be able to get all the way there from copper creek up the Molalla.
As for shooting, We used to just sit in camp by those bridges while my dad was building the green bridges up there and shoot targets every night. We camped there nearly all summer at those bridges.
He built several of those bridges. Not many people used to come up there then. Shooting was pretty much open everywhere you could hang a target or set a tin can. :)
Then Portland discovered it all and well you can see what has happened............

Forest access from the Hillock Burn Rd side is open. Access from highway 211 and head up past the shot-up tree area - please stop shooting trees- and continue until you reach the Oz Pit which is on the right hand side. It's huge with good distance. It is about 25 miles total one way from Estacada.

The good old Helion Pit is now accessible if one continues even further up Rd 45 (aka Memaloose Rd on one end-224 & Hillock Burn Rd on the other side-211)

Another small area that can be used is up Wildcat Mtn from Sandy:
Take the first left after passing the Forest Boundary which features a No Target Shooting sign. It does not apply to the following area:
There is a road terminus with 3 bermed roads- the east road on the right affords some earthen backstop to use for short range shooting.
lat-long captured from google maps:
45.323601, -122.074607

Clackamas County Dumpstoppers will be cleaning it up to give it a clean slate this week or next.
Let's keep this one in good condition so that it stays available. All the land you pass on the way up - private timber and county forest - is plastered with "No Shooting" signs, due to shooting of garbage and other abuse.

7SFCW4, that 224 closure is why I tried the Hillock Burn way. Too much ice from freezing rain after that big storm. And that's with 4WD and growing up driving in the snow.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top