Marlin x7 vs Rem 770 vs Savage axis vs Savage 111 FXP3

Discussion in 'Rifle & Shotgun Discussion' started by OR_VARMINT_HUNTER, Jul 7, 2011.

1. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

OR_VARMINT_HUNTER Member

21   1   0
    Which of these if any are worth a d*m? Marlin x7 vs Rem 770 vs Savage axis vs Savage 111 FXP3

I've hear the 770 is garbage but do not know about rest I have a nikon scope I will be putting which one I'm to get ao bot worried about the scope they come with unless I shoot it and think it will do the job I want the set up for deer/elk but wondering of any of those combos r worth wasting my money on. So any one who has had experience with any of these please tell me ur thought thanks

EDIT: I have a nikon scope I will be putting on which ever one I'm to get I'm not worried about the scope they come with

Sorry about the spelling doing this from my phone
  2. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Well-Known Member

0   0   0
    Savage 111. It is a standard 110 receiver. The Axis has issues with a flimsy stock. Most people who write about them state that they have to open the stock and stiffen it with foam and add wheel weights.

The 111 is probably a DBM type rifle (detachable box magazine) and you should be able to find a lot of after market stocks that will fit it if you want. I'm not sure about the Marlin after market supply or if Rem 700 aftermarket stuff will fit the 770...
  3. titsonritz

titsonritz Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

20   0   0
    Negative, it is a blind mag.

I'd go with the Savage, though I must admit I've never deal with that particular Marlin.
  4. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Active Member

16   0   0
    My 111 in 7mm is DBM.

Good thing about Savage (out of your list) is that its a well-established company, and there are millions of aftermarket parts for them.
  5. titsonritz

20   0   0
  6. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Active Member

16   0   0
    Roger that, I stand corrected. Too many frickin' letter/number combinations
  7. titsonritz

20   0   0
    Yeah I hear you, just try and keep S&W handguns straight. :banghead:
  8. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Active Member

26   0   0
    for what it's worth, I own a 770 that I picked up for under 300.00 with a cheap Bushell scope and mount on it.

I can still shoot MOA at 100 yards with it. the whole thing about sticky bolt is true but it does smooth out quite a bit after putting some rounds through it.

I know there are similarly priced rifles that people rave about but 770 isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
  9. Mark W.

Mark W. Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

35   0   0
    Savage if you like the Accutrigger is most likely the most accurate right out of the box, The package scopes tend to be throw away quality and the plastic stock is not the best.

BUT the barreled action is outstanding.

Buy the cheap package sight it in and your hunting for little money. Put a good scope (250.00) on it and you will see instant results. Put a Boyds laminated stock (around $100-125.00)on it and in three reasonable steps you will have a great rifle. And won't have to squeeze out a grand to do it.

IMHO
  10. Sun195

Sun195 Well-Known Member

2   0   0
  11. nitestocker

nitestocker Well-Known Member

95   0   0
    you no id put the marlin xl7 up against the savage marlin has been around a long time as well and they got this one right its has the accutrigger as well and locking barrel they kinda copied the savage if you know what i mean:D that why i said id put my 3006 against the savage 3006 and its only 6.5 lbs
  12. iamme

iamme Well-Known Member

52   3   0
    Savage hands down. Accurate out of box, cdi dbm using aics mags available, works with 110 stocks if decide on it. User swappable barrels, and on and on.
  13. titsonritz

20   0   0
    Like most choices each has its pros and cons. I tend to prefer the extremes and go with the DBM and the blind mag, the DBM for its convenience and utility, the internal box mag for ruggedness and simplicity. IMO the hinged floor plate has none of strengths and all of the weaknesses of the other two; some will say they are the best of both worlds.
  14. iamme

iamme Well-Known Member

52   3   0
    O_V_H- Long PM sent to ya man. Good luck!!
  15. nitestocker

95   0   0
    the savage also runs about 450.00 to 550.00 where the marlin is around 300.00 and sometimes you can get them for 275.00 you guys should read the reviews on these just a heads up
  16. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

OR_VARMINT_HUNTER Member

21   1   0
    This is all good info I just have one more question be4 I decied any one know about the 111 fcxp3 I c bimart has them cheap I know scope is trash but how about gun I know no acur trigger but still any good for 350?
  17. 86k5krawler

86k5krawler New Member

7   0   0
    currently own two xl7 marlins 25-06 and 270 win, great shooters and the accutrigger is a plus.
    either choice you choose between savage or marlin you wont be dissapointed, shoulder both makes and see what fits you.

happy trails
  18. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

OR_VARMINT_HUNTER Member

21   1   0
    Any one know of there's a difference between the marlin X7 and XL7 I'm leaning to the marlin cuz seems best bang for the $ but I have see x7 and xl7 so which ones better?
    Thanks
  19. nitestocker

95   0   0
    i think the x7 is the short action and i no the xl7 is the long action get the xl7 in 3006
  20. tomcat

tomcat Member

11   0   0
    Look at the mossburg ATR I had one in 30-06 and loved it