JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On more than one occasion and with various guns, I have accuracy tested Marlin 60's against Ruger 10-22's (box-stock guns with no modifications).
There was (repeatedly demonstrated) no "competition" in this arena of comparison.

The Marlins were the clear, instant and verifiable winners.
Instead of talking, I'll present a picture on my thoughts about Marlin accuracy. One shot, 20 yards with my 81DL.

Marlin accuracy.jpg

^^^^^
Can't see Ruger making a model 60. It's the best competition their 10-22 ever had.
That's a dam shame too. Adding the Model 60 to their lineup would give customers a clear choice in platforms and give Ruger like, what... ? 75% market share of ALL new .22 semiauto rifles sold?
I'd buy one made by Ruger, even though l'm still sore at Bill, and probably will be until I'm dead too.

Adding to the fond memories of Model 60 purchases... l bought mine in the 80s at Yellow Front (a now defunct chain of discount stores, similar to Bi-Mart, without the card) in Phoenix, AZ a day or two after my Marine Corps EAS. Paid just a tick over $100. I bought my first Mossberg 500 there too, for about the same dough.

Last Edited:
My first Mod 60 was from Western Auto about that time. I have no idea how much ammo that little rifle must have gone through. It was and impressive and amazing little rifle. When I sold it long after it sold for as much or more than I paid for it. I don't think I have ever seen one someone managed to wear out. Not sure how much it would take to actually do that
My own Model 60 went through cases of ammo before I passed it to my middle son. The only items that had to be replaced were the bolt buffer, the hammer, and multiple front sights. The hammer was broken because I did not know to replace the buffer when it crumbled. the front sight was lost and replaced several times before I learned about LOC tite. The bolt buffer was destroyed when CCI Stingers first came out, or because I was not using plastic safe cleaners. Once I learned not to shoot Stingers and about plastic safe cleaners the current buffer has been in place for around 40 years. DR

I was relucant to buy the rifle since it didn't have the auto bolt hold open feature but all the reports from members here about the great accuracy convinced me to purchase it anyways. They were asking $130 but accepted my offer of $110. I will be able to take it home next weekend.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews