Magazine Capacity..WA.

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Capn Jack, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

3   0   0
    I've looked through the hunting regs for Washington and I don't find any mention of magazine capacity for semi-automatic rifles...Have I missed something???:confused:
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. Jaybo

Jaybo Member

0   0   0
    You have NOT missed anything. 4 years ago, the 5 round capacity limit was lifted. There is now no longer a limit on your semi-auto hunting rifle. I would not recommend anyone who needs more than 5 shots to even be out in the woods, however, it is legal to carry around a 30 round magazine in your 30-06 if you choose. Technically speaking, one can use a 30 round magazine in an SKS for Elk if they wanted to... not recommended by the Fish and Game Department or by me..

I have called the Washington State Fish and Game Enforcement Office to verify this.

.243 is still the smallest caliber to hunt large game with, however, coyote and cougar can both be hunted with a .22 centerfire round.
  3. Capn Jack

3   0   0
    Thanks Jaybo:thumbup: I've got a 7.62x39 upper on my AR and the smallest magazine I can find is 10 rnds. As for "Big Game" hunting...I tend to think of the 7.62 as a rapid fire 30-30.:p:laugh:
  4. Jaybo

Jaybo Member

0   0   0
    :laugh: I guess with fast follow-up shots.. there really is no need for accuracy????:D:eek:
  5. Capn Jack

3   0   0
    This coming season will be my first time using the AR for hunting. Personally I have always been a meat hunter and try mainly for neck shots, but in the past I've used a 30-06.:)
  6. Hotwheelz

Hotwheelz Member

3   0   0
    It maybe for water fowl and birds but I thought there was a 3 rnd max compacity not a statment of fact here just a guess ....
  7. Capn Jack

3   0   0
    Hotwheelz:D
    I believe that's a Federal Law governing migratory water fowl, but most states use it as a general shotgun reg. Like the comercial says, "I don't care as long as it goes -"Bang, Bang, Bang"...:p:laugh:
  8. Jaybo

Jaybo Member

0   0   0
    Here in the state of Washington... its 3 rounds for waterfowl (shotgun) and it has to be lead-free shot. Dont get caught without the plug in it, (if its capable of holding more) cause the Gamies dont take to kindly to the defense of "I didnt know"... 8)

It used to be 5 round max on hunting calibers for long rifles, but again.. that is not the case anymore.:thumbup:

Oh ya.. one other pointer... IF you are an archery hunter.. and you go out hunting coyote with a rifle... you still need to wear orange during any modern firearm season.. (I know.. its a big duh.. but).... had a friendly Gamie give a very nice reminder!
  9. Capn Jack

3   0   0
    Thanks Jaybo, We're not a string shooter. I pinned a Jack Rabbit to the ground once (early in life) with an arrow...Had to kill it with a rock. I never will forget it's squealing. I've never had a deer I've shot make more than a coulpe of jumps, most of the time they would just fold. Strange as it sounds, I don't like to HURT animals.:(
  10. torpedoman

torpedoman Member

1   0   0
    No jack that sounds right it is a lot different killing an animal to eat and just torturing it
  11. Jaybo

Jaybo Member

0   0   0
    This is my first "bow" season.. and I havnet shot at anything yet. I was out of state for the firearm season... so.... I had to do the next best thing! Plus I get to spend quite a bit more time in the woods, as the season is a lot longer, and I can bag a doe, which is always a bonus, since I'm bound to get one of those!!! (Front yard counts right?!)
  12. Capn Jack

3   0   0
    My Uncle and Aunt used to have a place outside of Oakville and I used to tell him he should at least step off of the porch.:p:D

Been nice, but we're probably using up server time.:thumbup:
  13. Boris Bush

Boris Bush Member

0   0   0
    Whats the capacity limit on shotguns for grouse and rabbits? Can I just load my 12ga with 5 shells and call it good?
  14. dragonsden73

dragonsden73 Active Member

106   0   0
    As my late, great Uncle used to say....."You get enough lead in the air and you're bound to hit something."
  15. Jaybo

Jaybo Member

0   0   0
    I dont think the 5 round would be an issue with grouse, however, I think duck season coincides with the same season, so I wouldn't chance being caught with it, and trying to convince a gamie that your not really out duck hunting.. (although I could see the arguement if you were NOWHERE near a body of water)... Personnaly, a .22 or 17hmr is my caliber of choice for rabbit.. although, hitting them on the run is a wee bit more challenging;)
  16. JuryRig

JuryRig New Member

0   0   0
    From Washington Administrative Code:
    WAC 232-12-047
    (2) It is unlawful to hunt game birds with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells.
  17. Jaybo

Jaybo Member

0   0   0
    I stand corrected...

Apparently.. I wouldn't have been able to talk my way out of that one.. no matter what I said!

You may not be able to use more than 3 rounds in your shotgun... but a 50 round AK or AR is still legit for big game hunting tho..???!?!

Some laws make me wonder...

Thanks. :cool: