JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Although I understand the drive for Californians to seek asylum in Oregon, my status as a lifelong Native Oregonian will not allow me to condone any emigration north of the 42nd parallel ;)

Weather really is all California has going for it.

When I lived in LA:

• sky-high real estate
  • 9% sales tax
  • 9.3% state income tax
  • 3% annual tax on your car (that's what registration cost - 3% of your car's value)
  • high fees for anything else. speeding ticket? easily over $300

Plus traffic, smog, crime...

Why anyone would want to live in California is beyond me.

Don't hate me but I just moved from SoCal to Washington and couldn't be happier. I'm not a Californian though, originally from NC.

North Carolinian here too..... did three years in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, then moved to Oregon with the job. Won't go back to the Republic - sad, because it's a beautiful place.

Ugh. Unfortunately I'm still here until my place sells. I think the weather pretty much sux. It's okay right now, but the wind a couple of days ago was biting cold, straight through every zipper on your jacket. In the summer, it's over 110* for weeks at a time. In SoCal, it's pretty much only nice about 15 miles in from the coast. That leaves a whole lot of state where it's not nice. We have two seasons: cool and inferno. There is no fall or spring. It does not gradually warm up or cool down. It will be 50s and 60s during the day for most of the winter, with occasional cooler weather, and then within a two week period will be between 95*-120* for the next 5 months. Every place you want to go (beach, mountains, lakes, out to dinner, amusement parks with the kids) are so flipping crowded you will just be miserable if you go, so we mostly stayed home. Hope they don't arrest me at the border with my weapons and ammo and label me a terrorist before I can make my escape into Free America. Looking forward to seasons.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, :s0131: shhhh . . . there's no water here. They keep calling it a drought, but the reality is, they built more houses than there is enough water to support, even with the water they stole from NorCal and the Colorado River System. They take the desert areas and try to make them look like the beach so that people think it's beautiful, but it's all desert, from Inyo/Kern/Fresno down.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, :s0131: shhhh . . . there's no water here. They keep calling it a drought, but the reality is, they built more houses than there is enough water to support, even with the water they stole from NorCal and the Colorado River System. They take the desert areas and try to make them look like the beach so that people think it's beautiful, but it's all desert, from Inyo/Kern/Fresno down.

I lived in Ridgecrest/China Lake back in the late '80s. It's a shame what they did to Owens Lake and the like - sucked them dry.

The phenomenon that I have seen time and time again is people fleeing Cali because they can't stand the place anymore. And then, as soon as they arrive here, they start voting to make the PNW just like home! I don't get it at all.

I hear ya, Washington has been re-named "Way Northern California". Used to be nice till the Rats jumped ship back in the 90's.

Okay, as a born and raised Californian here is what I have to say about it. When I went to school in Manhattan Beach, Ca in the 50's and early 60's, California had one of the best educational systems in the country. Living was cheap enough that my mother raised two kids on her own. No welfare, no food stamps. You could buy guns at gun shows without paperwork. I once bought a Ruger over a bar from a bartender no problem. Life was good. I am not sure what screwed it up. Maybe massive Liberalism, illegals, I'm not sure. Probably the Boiling Frog Syndrome where everything was introduced so gradually that before anyone knew the water was boiling and it was to late. One thing Oregonians should think about is when the timber industry hit a brick wall, it was the towns that opened their doors to the Californian retirees that fared well. The towns that were of the Oregon for Oregonians mind set were the ones that had their Main Streets empty of shops and shoppers. Those same towns now welcome the CA retirees. When I got out of the service I moved to Northern Cal.. People there love to complain about the Southern Cal people. Oregonians love to complain about the Californians. The rest of the World loves to complain about the Americans. There is no way I am moving back to California. To bad because there are some places there that are what I am looking for. Or they would be if the State Government wasn't so bad. I will never apologize for being from California. At one time it was the greatest State in the Union.

I lived in Ridgecrest/China Lake back in the late '80s. It's a shame what they did to Owens Lake and the like - sucked them dry.

I wrote a paper on that in college. Yes, it is a shame. Mulholland is a hero in L.A., but the devil in Inyo/Mono counties. I drive through it all the time headed to Reno. Just found the paper a couple of weeks ago, been meaning to re-read it.

When I drove through Bend a few years back and spotted a "Mercedes" dealership I new the Californians had arrived in droves. Ruined the real estate market and turned cowboy country into a sushi/wine bar. Sad.
Bumpy

If you think having Californian's come here is bad, try living in California where every country and state (including Oregon) migrate there. And it's funny how often I hear someone complain about people moving here from California, but when I hear someone talk about moving from Oregon to California it's like some big deal and they are so excited. Not gun owners of course, but I've heard it plenty from others.

If you think having Californian's come here is bad, try living in California where every country and state (including Oregon) migrate there. And it's funny how often I hear someone complain about people moving here from California, but when I hear someone talk about moving from Oregon to California it's like some big deal and they are so excited. Not gun owners of course, but I've heard it plenty from others.

National Lampoon explained it best "The continent is tilted and anything which isn't nailed down rolls into California."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top