JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just did a search and found an article where someone used a dremel to cut the handles off of the harbor freight ceramic knife and yes there are 2 strips of metal in the handle most likely to make the knife set off metal detectors. Guess that's out unless you wanted to cut the handles off and fab your own handles out of non-metallic materials. I suppose you could carve some wood handles and epoxy them to the blade or make a mold of the original handle and cast a 2 part resin handle on it.

There is metal in the ceramic material I think.....I had a Boker for a while: plastic handles, ceramic blade, beryllium copper spring - it set off the metal detector where other metal on my body did not.

There are the blackie collins fiberglass "letter openers" or similar fiberglass "knives", or some fiberglass repair kit stuff and/or bondo and some free time and you can make your own shivs in the privacy of your own garage LOL.

All this crap about not having nail clippers on airlines is a F'n joke. A obsidian knife is sharper than a surgical scalpel.
So do all you morons feel safer now?

Actually have seen obsidian USED as a scalpel in a neurosurgery case. I was a student and the neurosurgeon explained that he prefers obsidian due to the smaller/sharper edge than the best steel.

Since obsidian is glass it has to handled in very specific ways or it will leave you high and dry. That and since it has an irregular edge it tends to "eat" whatever sheath it comes in contact with.

Boker's option:

Boker Plus Featherweight Fixed Blade Knife (2.875" Carbon Fiber Plain) 02BO279 - Blade HQ

I've always thought Warren Thomas' knives looked nice:

Warren Thomas Knives custom keychain / neck knives

Hide Away makes some models in Titanium:

<broken link removed>

That Boker is exactly what I need, just ordered at Amazon for $29 shipped! Thanks! and thanks to everyone's input!

Amazon.com: Boker Plus Featherweight Knife: Sports & Outdoors

716hOOBlm6L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All this crap about not having nail clippers on airlines is a F'n joke. A obsidian knife is sharper than a surgical scalpel.
So do all you morons feel safer now?

Obsidian would work great with one exception. It will break or shatter. A nice thick piece of plexi glass can be cut to any size you want, even sharpened, maybe not to a scalpel edge but good enough for shanking someone in self defense. Insert it into a wood handle and you will have your metal detector proof knife.

I have one of those credit card fold up knives that you can put in your wallet. I have flown dozens of times with it. Most the time I had forgot it was there, and it has a steel blade. Also have a SOG knife that looks like a house key, that has gone with me several times.

I took a benchmade into a blazer game a couple years ago, let them see it and they had no problem with it.

But times have probably changed as they always do.

Have you looked at a belt buckle knife or pen knife?

If we were talking airport then I would go for a metal pen and go for the eyeballs

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top