JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anybody know of a good, local place to get knives sharpened? I have my Spyderco Endura 4 w/full serrations, my Gerber Mk. II, and my Ontario Machete that all need sharpened.

You would probably be better off just doing it yourself with the proper tools IMO. I have been a custom knife collector for some years now and have tried just about every manual knife sharpening set-up out there. The ones that work the best have some means of keeping the sharpening angle constant. So far the Edge Pro is the best IMO. They cost a bit but are well worth it and they are made in Oregon (Hood River I believe). It comes with an instructional video, which I think you can also watch on their website. I have the APEX model and have been well pleased with it. They use Japanese water stones of different grades. Easier, less work, and less messy than the Lansky type of sharpener. Also, I find spending time sharpening knives to be a great stress reliever--and putting an edge on a blade that will shave hair is a nice side benefit.

See
Edge Pro Model Blade Sharpening System

You would probably be better off just doing it yourself with the proper tools IMO. I have been a custom knife collector for some years now and have tried just about every manual knife sharpening set-up out there. The ones that work the best have some means of keeping the sharpening angle constant. So far the Edge Pro is the best IMO. They cost a bit but are well worth it and they are made in Oregon (Hood River I believe). It comes with an instructional video, which I think you can also watch on their website. I have the APEX model and have been well pleased with it. They use Japanese water stones of different grades. Easier, less work, and less messy than the Lansky type of sharpener. Also, I find spending time sharpening knives to be a great stress reliever--and putting an edge on a blade that will shave hair is a nice side benefit.

See
Edge Pro Model Blade Sharpening System

+1 I've had the cheaper APEX model for years and it is the best of the best. I was sharpening knives for $5.00 at first to earn back some of the investment $$$

Buy once, cry once.

+1 I've had the cheaper APEX model for years and it is the best of the best. I was sharpening knives for $5.00 at first to earn back some of the investment $$$

Buy once, cry once.

I couldn't agree more. I was using a Lansky with the clip on angle guide to sharpen some nice custom made folders and found that the guide was marring and scratching the spines of the blades--it will also remove the rustproofing finish on other blades. Since it doesn use a clip on guide, this is not a problem with the Edge Pro APEX which is also what I use. Cleanup with water is also easier than with oil. Hiring the job out to someone, I would worry about them using a grinder that is not water cooled- since that will often ruin blade temper--making the knife virtually useless. Price isn't really that bad. A good set of 3 Norton hones (one medium ceramic and one each hard and soft Arkansas stones) will run you as much as $160-200. Considering my wife has 20+ kitchen knives and I have as many others in my collection, the APEX pays for itself in no time at all. Anyone who has ever tried one would probably agree they are the best, shy of a professional watercooled grinding wheel.

My kid the chef says use a steel, not a sharpener, and you won't wear down your blades.

Steel only works to touch up an edge. Same with ceramic rods. With either if you don't already have a pretty decent edge with the correct angles they won't help much. If you have a seriously dull edge its going to need to be shaped and honed some.

I don't doubt Veff has the skiLz to sharpen a knife, but for me it's a "teach a man to fish and he won't go hungry type thing."

When you sharpen enough knives, you learn what makes a good edge and that skill transfers over to field sharpening also.

Knowledge is power and handing your knife to someone is not giving you that knowledge. Just saying...

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have anywhere near enough money right now to go buy a sharpener setup (trying to save for a new Glock 21). I already have a wet stone, but it dosnt seem to do a whole lot. Excalibur (which I'm not a big fan of) at Lloyd Center told me it would be $8 for the Machete, $8 for the Spyderco and $16 for the Mk. II.. Anybody every have them do any sharpening? I might check out this Veff guy.

The Excaliber chain store? I let one sharpen my knife in Medford once... A monkey with a sharp rock could have done better. I think that is about the time I bout a Lanksy come to think of it.

If you are near Veff, I'd give him a shot and bend his ear and pick up some pointers if he will let ya.

Epicurean Edge in Kirkland is one of the best in the country. I take all of my PM steel kitchen knives to them, as do most of the best chefs in Seattle. For a simple pocket knife though, I'd just use a Lansky like stated above. An overhead working lamp and magnifying glass or jewelers loupe help too.

Steel only works to touch up an edge. Same with ceramic rods. With either if you don't already have a pretty decent edge with the correct angles they won't help much. If you have a seriously dull edge its going to need to be shaped and honed some.

True enough - and usually enough. It's important to touch up the edge regularly to keep your level of effort down. Makes a huge difference.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top