JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just traded into a sweet Kimber Compact Custom (series 1) and it came with a Shooting Star 7rd and a Kimber 8 round mag. Love the gun.

The compact 7 round mag fits like a dream and shoots well. hOWEVER, the 8 round mag which extends beyond the compact grip... if shoved harder than the first positive click, would jam above the click and prevent a slide release until you tug on the mag bottom to get to the proper click level. This is unacceptable in a SD situation.

Thinking this was a Kimber mag flaw, I found some nice used Wilson Combat 8 rd mags. Still these were able to be shoved past the click and jam the slide. I went to Fishermans Marine and using their NIB 8rd Tac Mag we were able to jam a new Kimber compact II. The Citadel 1911 did not jam given a righteous shove.

I have Glocks and Sigs and have no hesitancy jamming a longer than stock 226 into 228 or G17 into G19 mags into these guns for extra capacity. They go bang bang everytime. Bring it on.

Ultimately, I have no problem keeping with compact 7 round mags for SD and backup mags but find it curious that this is not a more vocal issue among Compact or Pro Kimber owners. There are xgrip mag collars available for $21 that can stop longer mags from over insertion into an Officer grip. But this evening I wrapped the bottom .5 inch of my 8rd. Wilson Combat mags with electrical tape to stop over insertion. This seems to work well on the bench and does not look so terrible. Although a thousand dollar Kimber and electrical tape?...ok. In combat, this is funky cool. If reliable, I will embrace this field solution. Esthetically, this is unfortunate.

Anyone else experience this? Am i expecting too much using the wrong design magazines in an effort to mag an extra round? I can accept that.

Just traded into a sweet Kimber Compact Custom (series 1) and it came with a Shooting Star 7rd and a Kimber 8 round mag. Love the gun.

The compact 7 round mag fits like a dream and shoots well. hOWEVER, the 8 round mag which extends beyond the compact grip... if shoved harder than the first positive click, would jam above the click and prevent a slide release until you tug on the mag bottom to get to the proper click level. This is unacceptable in a SD situation.

Thinking this was a Kimber mag flaw, I found some nice used Wilson Combat 8 rd mags. Still these were able to be shoved past the click and jam the slide. I went to Fishermans Marine and using their NIB 8rd Tac Mag we were able to jam a new Kimber compact II. The Citadel 1911 did not jam given a righteous shove.

I have Glocks and Sigs and have no hesitancy jamming a longer than stock 226 into 228 or G17 into G19 mags into these guns for extra capacity. They go bang bang everytime. Bring it on.

Ultimately, I have no problem keeping with compact 7 round mags for SD and backup mags but find it curious that this is not a more vocal issue among Compact or Pro Kimber owners. There are xgrip mag collars available for $21 that can stop longer mags from over insertion into an Officer grip. But this evening I wrapped the bottom .5 inch of my 8rd. Wilson Combat mags with electrical tape to stop over insertion. This seems to work well on the bench and does not look so terrible. Although a thousand dollar Kimber and electrical tape?...ok. In combat, this is funky cool. If reliable, I will embrace this field solution. Esthetically, this is unfortunate.

Anyone else experience this? Am i expecting too much using the wrong design magazines in an effort to mag an extra round? I can accept that.
yes.
You said it yourself, stop using the wrong mag.

Might check your mag release for wear. My Kimber Ultra Carry takes 8 rd mags no problem. If it's worn, it's an easy fix. Then, no worry about correct mags, especially if you have multiple 1911 platforms. Segregating 1911 mags sucks, especially if you convert floor plates on some 8 rd mags. They won't fit in a full size without taking that floor plate off. Good luck, nice shooter.

The OP said he was using it for SD and found it's current state unacceptable.
If he's using his pistol for SD and reloading a second mag, it's safe to assume he's shot to slide lock.
With the slide back, it's very easy to slam in an overlong mag faster and harder than the mag release, regardless of it being new or worn, can catch it. Then you are stuffed
It's bad practice.

Agreed, but the mag catch should hold next mag when stuffing in a new mag that is too long. I've not had an over-insertion problem in training with my Kimber, but mine could be the exception not the rule. If it is a used Kimber, I would check the mag release, if not an issue, then upgrade the floor plates, or buy a couple of the correct sized mags. I just see trying to stuff in one of the altered mags into a full size 1911 and cringe. OP may not have more than one 1911, if such is the case then it is a non-issue of course.

I haven't tried it with my Kimbers. Why would I want to use the wrong mag in one of them?

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top