JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
PREVIEW: Kel-Tec Shotgun (KSG)
01-04-2011

The time for secrecy is nearing its end. This SHOT Show, Kel-Tec will be revealing its next ground-breaking product: the KSG (Kel-Tec Shotgun).

The KSG is our first entry into the shotgun market. The size, shape and design are similar to the currently available Kel-Tec RFB rifle, but the KSG ejects downward, instead of forward. The KSG weighs 6.9lbs and is as compact as legally possible with a 26.1" overall length and an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. Even with this compact size, the internal dual tube magazines hold an impressive 14 rounds of 12 gage 2-3/4" rounds (7 per tube). The simple and reliable pump action feeds from either the left or right tube. The feed side is manually selected by a lever located behind the trigger guard. The lever can be positioned in the center detent in order to easily clear the chamber without feeding another round from either magazine. A cross bolt style safety blocks the sear, and the pump release lever is located in front of the trigger guard.

The pump includes an under Picatinny rail for the mounting of a forward grip, or a light or laser. The included top Picatinny sight rail will accept many types of optics or iron sights. Forward and rear sling loops are built in, and a basic sling is included. The soft rubber butt pad helps to tame recoil.

MSRP has not been officially been set, but we are looking at the $800.00 range.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

KSG.jpg

3334993956_9c5fb77f3c_o.jpg

Biggest problem with Kel Tec is that they show us something we want and then take years to actually produce it in numbers. RFB's are still not available in any numbers and look at how long ago it was announced.

I had good luck with my P32 and PF9 as far as reliability. The P3AT shot the recoil rod out the front of it..... but the replacement slide had no issues.

One thing I just thought of, it looks like it would be awkward as all get out to reload those tubes way up inside there. My HS-10B is awkward to reload because of the bullpup configuration but at least the tube is right near the bottom of the receiver. Also with bottom feed and eject you can't really load singles after you are empty while keeping the weapon in your shoulder. Magpul will need to come up with a brand new manual of arms and dvd for this monster when it gets popular.

$800 = Saiga 12 plus a home conversion. I think I would rather have a saiga before this thing. While I think its cool, I will probably wait to get one when the hype cools off and the beta testers...I mean early adopters sort out all of the issues that will creep up. Plus, maybe by then the price will be down in the $500-600 range on a used one. But thats still 3yrs away. For now, a Saiga 12 with a folder and some 10rd mags sounds like a box full of win for the same amount of money.

I can see an advantage of this over the Saiga (I have one) in that you can leave the mags loaded in the pump and it will still feed, whereas if you leave shells in the Saiga mags for an extended period of time, they can have problems feeding.

So for a home defense shotgun, I think this looks better. And shorter unless the Saiga is converted to Bullpup...

I'm pretty sure I need one of those!

+1 any KelTec dealers on board here?

I'd be in for one too. :cool:

I can see an advantage of this over the Saiga (I have one) in that you can leave the mags loaded in the pump and it will still feed, whereas if you leave shells in the Saiga mags for an extended period of time, they can have problems feeding.

So for a home defense shotgun, I think this looks better. And shorter unless the Saiga is converted to Bullpup...

One of my friends had a solution to that--he made a little hole in the top of his saiga-12 magazine and stuck a pin with a keychain ring on it through it like a grenade. It pushed the top round down a little bit. You still have to pull pin, insert mag, rack bolt though, so it isn't the end-all solution.

Adjustable stock would be plus!!

Only thing I don't like at this point is the sights.

very catch design.
It doesn't have any, it's up to you to choose them. Personally I'd probably pick a Troy BUIS and an aimpoint H-1.

PLEASE don't be a POS.

I know... that's my worry as well. I know many people here love their kel-tecs, but I just haven't been super impressed with their past products. This and their RMR-30 look so cool I really hope they are reliable and well-built.

Love the dual-mag tube design. Put slugs in one side, and buckshot/birdshot/bean-bags in the other. Switch ammo type almost on the fly. Good red-dot sight, plus a flashlight/laser combo on the bottom, and you're got one killer HD shotgun.

Would you guys stop posting here?! Every time I see a new post here, I swing back here hoping to find someone say, "They are selling them at big5." But no!!! :s0114:

You guys are killing me! :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads