Joe's Sports files for bankruptcy protection

Discussion in 'Firearm-Related Business Discussion & Reviews' started by Sun195, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Sun195

Sun195 Well-Known Member

2   0   0
    I'm kind of sorry to see this:

2. Weebs

Weebs Member

35   0   0
    Hal smith has done this before to good companies... GI Joes was great. Too bad they sold and put Gryphon in charge.
  3. Mainsail

Mainsail Member

3   0   0
    I'm not, I'm glad. The corporate level was anti-gun and would ask you to leave their stores if they knew you were carrying. Since they also refused to guarantee your safety I thought they were hypocritical.

Any company or location that bans lawful firearms carry and has no way of ensuring a sterile environment is for all intents and purposes allowing illegal firearms carry. I will not support any company that encourages illegal firearms activity and believe such policies are detrimental to the safety of the people that visit their stores.

I’m going to sent them an email right now telling them so.
  4. Morpheus

Morpheus Anyway, back on the farm. Gold Supporter

13   0   0
    Well, as soon as they changed their name from GI Joes to 'Joes' I knew it was going to fail.

Especially for the stupid reason they gave. Which as I recall, to make it so people didn't think they were related to the military.

They turned their back on their roots, and lost there customers. While it sucks for the employee's, it is what happens.

I wonder if they will have a fire sale now! hehe.

M
  5. clearconscience

clearconscience Well-Known Member

14   0   0
    +1
    God forbid we do anything to support our troops.
    What they should have done is added Thank You Troops to their Gi Joe's and maybe they would have done better. I would have continued to shop there.
  6. Morpheus

13   0   0
    I failed to resist the urge to soap box. But why can't people understand, supporting the troops, the men and woman, is not the same as supporting the war.

People say they can die for a cause. Or even kill for a cause. People forget, Soldiers die and kill for other people's cause. They defend other people's rights at risk to their own.

But then again, a lot of people don't understand saluting the rank or position, not the person.

M
  7. Contento

Contento Member

2   0   0
    I thought they got charged with copyright infringement by the GI Joes cartoon people :huh:

Either way, I agree. They used to be a great store but seem to have changed their philosophy.
  8. skydiver

skydiver Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

145   0   0
    Just there today (3-14-09).
    Had a $50 gift certificate.
    Wasn't sure they'd take it, but they DID! :)
    Recommend you use yours right away though. Who knows what will happen.
    Blue Skies!
  9. Morpheus

13   0   0
    It could have been GI Joe Cartoon people, but considering GI Joes has been around for almost as long it seems odd they would try to sue now.

But as you said, either way they have seriously gone down hill.

M
  10. SkatterBraynd

SkatterBraynd New Member

0   0   0
    When I moved here 20 yrs ago, it was G.I. Joe's that I flocked to for my auto and outdoors needs. It felt like a hometown store that always had what I was looking for and helpful employees that had answers to my questions. Now it feels like some preppy-hipster-wannabe sports store. It is sad that they sold out to some California pencil pushers who really aren't in touch with what its heritage really is.
  11. twoclones

twoclones Well-Known Member

6   0   0
    Good Riddance to Joe's.
    I bought a Brunton compass at Joe's which had a manufacturing defect. On returing it, per factory suggestion, I was required to give my drivers license number to get my money back! I insisted on talking to a manager but all that got me was the manager's insistance that there would be no refund unless I gave my license number.

Never went back and will be glad if they go out of business.
  12. Anoldbaldman

Anoldbaldman Member

6   0   0
    Sorry, but I hope they survive. They have 30+ stores and have been in business for 50+ years. There are a lot of employees and vendors that are hurting because of this. I know vendors that are owed $100,000 and more. Rep groups that will owe commissions back to the factories because they have not paid their bills. Getting those stores back in business would be the best thing.
  13. Hartebreak

Hartebreak Member

7   0   0
    Anyone else see the coincidence of the store tanking about the same time the new owners took over. They changed the name, filled the store full of Chinese made crap and got away from what used to be their bread and butter. If Joes goes away it will just make the remaining places like Bobs and Fishermans alot stronger. I couldnt care less if this San Francisco based company folds, it isnt the same place it used to be.
  14. Redrum

Redrum Member

8   0   0
  15. Sun195

Sun195 Well-Known Member

2   0   0
    Latest news...