JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1911-A1 end of story.

1911? for a carry gun NO to look at yes. What I don't understand is why did John Browning stop the design of the 1911 and go onto the Browning High Power?

I will have to agree with gunfreak I now have 2 M&P's and the fit and feel is 10X what the Glocks are plus they are American made.

The question was "Is there anything better than a glock?" I personally would rather have/carry a K frame revolver of any caliber.

Actually, he sold the rights to the 1911 patents to colt. The hi-power was for a french military contract, but had to start from scratch working around the 1911 patents. He died before the hi-power was finished and Saive finished the design, including good chunk of 1911 design elements into the hi-power after the patents expired.

The 1911 has a lot going for it, I'm surprised you would dismiss it out of hand.

considering your criteria (ruling out heavy all-steel ones), I'd recommend the M&P9. I shot a rental M&P9. Felt great and shot really well.
Agree, shoot the M&P, it's a very comfortable gun to shoot. I have the sub-compact 9mm for carry and the fullsize 9mm. I like them so much I am ordering Apex trigger group for the fullsize.

You should be finding the front sight with each shot anyway.

That the glock puts it right up in the air for you to see would be an advantage...

I disagree with that statement. You shouldn't have to "find" the front sight ever. It should naturally be somewhere in the rear sight notch. Whether at the end of the draw or at the end of the recoil cycle, the front sight should naturally be somewhere in the rear sight notch. Not above, or left, or right, and definitely not below it. It may not be perfectly centered, but it should be inside it somewhere so you don't have to find it.

I disagree with that statement. You shouldn't have to "find" the front sight ever. It should naturally be somewhere in the rear sight notch. Whether at the end of the draw or at the end of the recoil cycle, the front sight should naturally be somewhere in the rear sight notch. Not above, or left, or right, and definitely not below it. It may not be perfectly centered, but it should be inside it somewhere so you don't have to find it.

Sounds good in theory.

But, because "inside the rear notch" is such a small target area, the front sight is much more prone to getting lost.
A change in grip, trigger pull, angle of your arm, or your body position behind the gun will change the recoil path of the firearm. The front sight may not end up directly between that tiny gap. But if your eye catches the sight during the only static path of recoil (Muzzle into the air), you can push the sight down where you need it. No matter what position you, your hands, or the gun are in.

What if you're not on a clean, fair-weather range during those fired shots?

Sounds good in theory.

But, because "inside the rear notch" is such a small target area, the front sight is much more prone to getting lost.
A change in grip, trigger pull, angle of your arm, or your body position behind the gun will change the recoil path of the firearm. The front sight may not end up directly between that tiny gap. But if your eye catches the sight during the only static path of recoil (Muzzle into the air), you can push the sight down where you need it. No matter what position you, your hands, or the gun are in.

What if you're not on a clean, fair-weather range during those fired shots?

Recoil path, trigger pull etc are irrelevant. Ergonomics are ergonomics, as long as your grip is static the front sight will always return to the same spot. If your grip is shifting and walking around all bets are off though, but that's 99% of the reason for dry fire, presentations from the holster and other non-live fire practice.

Nothing beats a Glock for my use- range or carry I feel they are at the top of the pistol food chain. Although, if I had to pick something else for an EDC, it would be a Kahr CW9 or the Kel-Tec PF-9. They don't have the magazine capacity of the others, but they don't wieght much as a trade-off.

My Caracal F meets all the criteria but a longer barrel.

IMG_9683.jpg

Springfield xd or xdm? I haven't actually shot one, but I thought it was more comfortable to hold than a glock.

I once owned a Glock 27, that didn't fit my hand. Shooting more than 50 rounds at a time would wear a blister on my trigger finger which was in contact with the frame at the top of the trigger guard. I now own an XD, which fits my hand like a glove. Glock makes good guns, but not for me.

Recoil path, trigger pull etc are irrelevant. Ergonomics are ergonomics, as long as your grip is static the front sight will always return to the same spot. If your grip is shifting and walking around all bets are off though, but that's 99% of the reason for dry fire, presentations from the holster and other non-live fire practice.

Okay, so let's pretend like your grip doesn't change. You don't get wet hands so the gun never slips, you don't smash a finger and have to shoot with your middle finger or your opposite hand, you're not wearing different gloves than you may practice in.. Etc

What about shooting from cover? You won't always be able to be lined up perfectly behind the gun. And good grip or bad grip, that still changes the recoil path of the gun. Which pushes your sights differently than in your static grip, static-range environment.

All I'm saying is that there are variables that will keep your front sight from setting ITSELF back in a 1/8" spot in the middle of the air. Find your front sight first, and push it there yourself.

To me, shooting a glock is like fooling around with an ugly fat chick, it's fine if that's all you have at hand and no one you know is looking, but that's just me. I have shot with some that swear by them, and I have shot with those that swear at them. If you like em cool, they just aint for me. Oh and as a side note,, if your into big ugly chicks, that's cool also, they need lovin too.;)

Okay, so let's pretend like your grip doesn't change. You don't get wet hands so the gun never slips, you don't smash a finger and have to shoot with your middle finger or your opposite hand, you're not wearing different gloves than you may practice in.. Etc

What about shooting from cover? You won't always be able to be lined up perfectly behind the gun. And good grip or bad grip, that still changes the recoil path of the gun. Which pushes your sights differently than in your static grip, static-range environment.

All I'm saying is that there are variables that will keep your front sight from setting ITSELF back in a 1/8" spot in the middle of the air. Find your front sight first, and push it there yourself.

Let's just agree to disagree on this one. You will never see my side, and I will never see yours.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top